Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Feb 3, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #211 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must have missed something. I thought you'd found audio nirvana with the W3 and modded triple-flange gels. Weren't those the ones that fixed any sibilance issues for you? Can't you just get extra pairs of those if they work so well?

Well, I thought so too, but when I received the PFEs, the W3s sounded very dark with the Tri-Flanges, the sparkle was missing or something (I had to EQ the highs anyway with the tri-flanges to be happy). I did buy extra tri-flanges and tried all sort of mods, but no matter how I EQ'd them, they sounded veiled (but the harshness was completely gone) compared to the PFEs.

I might not have even noticed had I not heard the clear, transparent sound of the PFEs, so you are right, I thought I did find Nirvana, but it was really faux Nirvana. Now, with this new crazy tip combo, the harshness is greatly diminished (not gone), the darkness/veil is somewhat tamed, but I still keep wanting to take out the W3s and switch to the PFEs. Go figure. I just don't get the same sparkle from the W3s, which on paper are the far superior IEM, that I do from the PFEs. And it isn't just the clarity/sparkle, the separation I get from the PFEs outdoes the same from the W3s.

It's getting to be ridiculous, really. I am going to keep listening, comparing, but sooner or later, something has to give.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #212 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you guys just made me order a pair. stupid site. anyways, i placed my order yesterday and i still havent received my second email from them. it says the status of my order is unbilled and unshipped. how long did it take for them to actually ship product out to you guys?

They shipped mine within one business day and the actually delivery took about 3 days.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #213 of 3,305
I had some issues with the store website on Firefox on my netbook screen (1024x600), so I had to place my order via the Opera browser instead. Well, I must have missed switching to the black phones that time because I ordered the white ones by accident.

When I asked, they were happily willing to ship out the black ones right away. I need only get the white ones back to them within 7 days of receiving them.

+1 great customer service experience with Phonak!

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #215 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I thought so too, but when I received the PFEs, the W3s sounded very dark with the Tri-Flanges, the sparkle was missing or something (I had to EQ the highs anyway with the tri-flanges to be happy). I did buy extra tri-flanges and tried all sort of mods, but no matter how I EQ'd them, they sounded veiled (but the harshness was completely gone) compared to the PFEs.

I might not have even noticed had I not heard the clear, transparent sound of the PFEs, so you are right, I thought I did find Nirvana, but it was really faux Nirvana. Now, with this new crazy tip combo, the harshness is greatly diminished (not gone), the darkness/veil is somewhat tamed, but I still keep wanting to take out the W3s and switch to the PFEs. Go figure. I just don't get the same sparkle from the W3s, which on paper are the far superior IEM, that I do from the PFEs. And it isn't just the clarity/sparkle, the separation I get from the PFEs outdoes the same from the W3s.

It's getting to be ridiculous, really. I am going to keep listening, comparing, but sooner or later, something has to give.

Funny, I already went through that. I think, at least to me, comparing a 2 or more top headphones is the true way to decide what is best for you. Reading here can only get you so far, and finding a place where you can listen to a wide variety (if you can) isn't going to be a good way, as it takes time to find the right fit for you.

My something that had to give had a time limit, but your W3s are a gift, so that is going to potentially going to be a touchy subject. Would your wife notice the difference between the IE8s and the W3s
wink.gif

Today (a day after my PFEs have been shipped) I am actually glad they are gone so I can focus on just enjoying my music!

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #216 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you guys just made me order a pair. stupid site. anyways, i placed my order yesterday and i still havent received my second email from them. it says the status of my order is unbilled and unshipped. how long did it take for them to actually ship product out to you guys?

I placed my order last night, and was already notified of shipment with tracking number included. So I would imagine that yours would be shipped soon as well.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #217 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I already went through that. I think, at least to me, comparing a 2 or more top headphones is the true way to decide what is best for you. Reading here can only get you so far, and finding a place where you can listen to a wide variety (if you can) isn't going to be a good way, as it takes time to find the right fit for you.

My something that had to give had a time limit, but your W3s are a gift, so that is going to potentially going to be a touchy subject. Would your wife notice the difference between the IE8s and the W3s
wink.gif

Today (a day after my PFEs have been shipped) I am actually glad they are gone so I can focus on just enjoying my music!

Hmm, interesting point. And one I considered. But unless I can get the IE8s for $270 or less, not interested (about the price the W3s could fetch, or maybe a little more). Just can't pull the trigger yet. Maybe 2-3 months down the road.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #218 of 3,305
Hi,

Thinking about the Phonaks but I don't want to lug around an amp (or pay for one either). Does anyone have experience using these phones w/ one of the newer Sony DAPs? I figured that the ClearBass EQ might work well in giving the PFE a warmer presentation if that is needed. But the Sony has a pretty wimpy amp (5mw) which makes me wonder if it is appropriate for driving them. Thanks.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #219 of 3,305
Joe: Where did you buy the IE8s for $250 again?

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #220 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today (a day after my PFEs have been shipped)
I am actually glad they are gone so I can focus on just enjoying my music!

Ha ha! That's exactly how I felt when I sold my second pair of W3! It was actually a relief to stop going back and forth comparing, and just listen. And I really can't stop listening to the IE8, I'm totally addicted.
I just
641.gif
641.gif
641.gif
them!

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #221 of 3,305
Quote:

Hmm, interesting point. And one I considered. But unless I can get the IE8s for $270 or less, not interested (about the price the W3s could fetch, or maybe a little more). Just can't pull the trigger yet. Maybe 2-3 months down the road.

There is a US based store that has them listed the IE8s $237, but they aren't in stock. I would just tell my wife I messed up (you did recommend them if I remember correctly) and go from there.

But if you do eventually get the IE8s (and have similar sound preferences to me), be prepared to sell them also
icon10.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #222 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by thwood3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Thinking about the Phonaks but I don't want to lug around an amp (or pay for one either). Does anyone have experience using these phones w/ one of the newer Sony DAPs? I figured that the ClearBass EQ might work well in giving the PFE a warmer presentation if that is needed. But the Sony has a pretty wimpy amp (5mw) which makes me wonder if it is appropriate for driving them. Thanks.

The Sony will drive the PFEs, but it does labor to do so. Clear bass is also good. I use the E5 with it, and it's great. But I see you don't want an amp. Only one way to see if it's loud enough, buy and try, and return if not.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #223 of 3,305
OK I listened to the black filters all day yesterday and I am back to the Grey ones now. The Grey ones are staying. The black filters just kill the magical Phonak sound stage and instrument separation for me.

Update:-I have kind of warmed up to the Shure olives when I need isolation. I like the Comply that came with the Phonak too. :)

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #225 of 3,305
Quote:

Vanilla and chocolate, I guess. But the black filters are ALSO part of the Phonak presentation, right?

As are the Grey filters ... That's why they come with both because different strokes for different folks.

The Grey filters made me love the Phonaks. The Black filter signature is what separates the PFE from the rest for you, no?

Quote:

Thinking about getting a part-time job as a Phonak filter changer.

What does that mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back