Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Feb 3, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #196 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by FightOnBoLT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in need of a new set of IEM's, and I wanna ditch the ol' crappy stock Apple ones that came with my iPod. I will NOT use a amplifier.

So...after my research, that's kinda what it boils down to for me. Any suggestions which way I should go? Please?????

Check in your thread

People will respond, I just did!

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #197 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, maybe 25 members, I returned mine. It was really a slippery slope for me, as I was teetering on keeping them until...

Well, even without you we're back up to 27
tongue.gif

You certainly did enough comparison to make the right decision. You're comments will help people decide between the two I think.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #198 of 3,305
Thanks Joe. Getting a pair of burned in IE8s at a decent price isn't happening, I am out of danger.

It's so funny how this all works. I only wish I had the same results with the W3 (I mean, being head and shoulders better than the PFEs). Also, as much as I have tried the gray filters, I keep going back to the black, without remorse. On the flip side, I can tweak the highs a wee bit and not mess with the bass at all. Even with the olives and Complys, the black filters are my preference.

Hope I am not alone on that one.

Sorry to hear you are a PFE Team dropout, but it's for a very good reason.

Quote:

OK, maybe 25 members, I returned mine. It was really a slippery slope for me, as I was teetering on keeping them until, well you will have to see below
tongue_smile.gif
I will bullet my (many) steps to returning my PFE (a lot of A/B testing).
- I got the PFEs, listened to them with the grey filter, and switched to the black filter...ahhhh, that sounds so very sweet
- I first thought the IE8 didn't compare (but knew they needed burn in), as the PFEs were awesome
- Day 2 - the IE8s soundstage opened up, but they still sounded muddy with recessed highs, and holy moly, what a mid-bass hump
- I primarily used the PFEs, as they sounded so good, I couldn't believe it and thought for sure I was going to sell my IE8s
- After about 100 hours of burn in the IE8s started to have almost the same detail as the PFE, but the treble was still recessed and the mid-bass hump, while better, was still prominent
- After about 170 hours of burn in the IE8s detail surpassed the PFEs, but the mid-bass hump was still there. The treble was coming out more.
- After 200 hours of burn in the IE8s treble was out more, pretty close to the PFE (but not there) and the mid-bass hump was now just a warm sound sig
- Now the IE8s had more treble and bass detail, wider soundstage, and more fun presentation. But I was thinking of keeping them as an analytical IEM, and I did like their sound, but of course not as much as the IE8. But they had better balance across the spectrum than the IE8s.
Note: I have kept my IE8 burning in as I am also burning in my Icon Mobile, so 24/7 of burn in
- Then something bad happened, oarnura posted this:
"X2. The black filters kill some of the clarity and sound stage for me. You really should do a comparison with the Grey filters. But then again you are comparing what you like in each so there really isn't much of a point to that."
- I tried the grey filters and initially didn't like them due to the balance swaying toward the mids/treble.
- I critically listened and A/Bed them and wow, they were as detailed as the IE8 and the soundstage really opened up also. The bass was lacking and switching between them the PFE sounded hollow
- So I EQed them. They sound better...or do they. My Fuze couldn't get the bass to a comparative level as the black filters. I could on my computer, but what is causing that bass distortion on some songs? Was it the EQ, the Icon Mobile, or the PFE?
- I tweaked and tweaked until I got the best sound I think I could get. Then A/Bing them (and turning off/on the DSP) they still didn't sound as good as my IE8s. The bass was deep, detailed, and reverberant, but it just didn't sound right.
- So, on my Fuze and through my computer the IE8s sounded better than EQed with the grey filters.
- Back to the black filters...where did the detail go? This is awful. Good balance, but man, the treble detail seems gone to me.
- Back to the grey filters...again, the PFEs didn't sound as natural, enjoyable, full, fun, exciting, engaging. The IE8s are engaging, what a musical presentation. When I put them in I want to keep listening with a smile on my face (with my FLAC files and good recordings of course) and get bummed when I have to turn them off. Another phone call, maybe voice mail can take this one
wink.gif

- So last Friday I called AudeoWorld PFE and talked to Megan and told her I was thinking of returning them. She told me I could call her back Monday if that was my decision.
- Over the weekend I compared the NE-7 (my backup/workout IEM) to the PFE. Man, the NE-7 sounds bad (comparatively). I did more A/Bing with the IE8, and the more I did, the more the IE8 pulled away from the PFE.
- Monday I called AudeoWorld and shipped my PFEs back.

Moral of the story...if you like your PFEs, don't listen to well burned in IE8s
biggrin.gif

Oh, and I asked Megan if anyone else returned them, and she said of the 200 or so they have sold, 3 have been returned.

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #199 of 3,305
count me inside the team guys! fantastic phones!
dt880smile.png

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #200 of 3,305
I'm in as well. Should have mine in a couple days.

Thanks for all the impressions - good and bad. The (well reasoned) bad is just as useful as the good.

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #201 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, even without you we're back up to 27
tongue.gif

You certainly did enough comparison to make the right decision. You're comments will help people decide between the two I think.

While I don't regret returning my PFE, I kinda feel a little sad. I tried using the NE-7 in the same capacity as the PFE, switching them and leaving one at my computer, etc., but that doesn't work for me because the NE-7's sound is far off the PFE sound.

But the I stick in my IE8s and wow. Actually, before I sent them back there was a big difference between the two, so probably wouldn't have listened to the PFE much, if at all.

I also thought it was interesting that AudeoWorld has sold about 200 according to Megan. To me, that does not seem like a lot of sales, maybe it will pick up (I hope it does for them), as that could lead to a better next gen. And about 1/4th of the sales are Head-fiers in Team Phonak.

Maybe if they could design different filters that make them sound warm while retaining the detail, soundstage, and balance, I would buy them again.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #202 of 3,305
I know what you mean. I felt a twinge of sadness every time I sold a pair of IEMs (well, most of them anyway) for a promising new pair, but could never justify keeping the old ones cause they just would not be used. I always sold off phones AFTER buying the new pair (often based on Head-Fi reviews). In a perfect world, we could keep every pair we buy, but with a few Head-Fi'er exceptions, that just isn't practical.

My question is, why not sell the NE-7, swallow the difference, and keep the Phonaks. I only ask because I had the NE-7s, but sold them. Didn't really need them, and felt they were expendable.

Also, I was surprised to hear they had sold only 200 pairs, but their distribution channel is pretty narrow. They need to get onto Amazon, like Sleek did, and Grado recently did as well. But building a good rep counts for something, and so far, they have got that ... at least among the majority of head-fi'ers who have tried them.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #203 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Joe. Getting a pair of burned in IE8s at a decent price isn't happening, I am out of danger.

It's so funny how this all works. I only wish I had the same results with the W3 (I mean, being head and shoulders better than the PFEs). Also, as much as I have tried the gray filters, I keep going back to the black, without remorse. On the flip side, I can tweak the highs a wee bit and not mess with the bass at all. Even with the olives and Complys, the black filters are my preference.

Hope I am not alone on that one.

Sorry to hear you are a PFE Team dropout, but it's for a very good reason.

No problem, glad to help people with their decision, as has happened to me
biggrin.gif

What would you say the strengths and weaknesses of the W3 and PFE are? When would you listen to the PFE and when would you listen to the W3? Which one is more fun, and which one is more analytical?

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #204 of 3,305
Quote:

While I don't regret returning my PFE, I kinda feel a little sad. I tried using the NE-7 in the same capacity as the PFE, switching them and leaving one at my computer, etc., but that doesn't work for me because the NE-7's sound is far off the PFE sound.

But the I stick in my IE8s and wow. Actually, before I sent them back there was a big difference between the two, so probably wouldn't have listened to the PFE much, if at all.

I also thought it was interesting that AudeoWorld has sold about 200 according to Megan. To me, that does not seem like a lot of sales, maybe it will pick up (I hope it does for them), as that could lead to a better next gen. And about 1/4th of the sales are Head-fiers in Team Phonak.

Maybe if they could design different filters that make them sound warm while retaining the detail, soundstage, and balance, I would buy them again.

Well, I'll never spend the $450 to find out if the IE8's sound better... lol...

darthsmile.gif

nG

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #205 of 3,305
Quote:

My question is, why not sell the NE-7, swallow the difference, and keep the Phonaks. I only ask because I had the NE-7s, but sold them. Didn't really need them, and felt they were expendable.

Same as your W3's, a gift from the wife. But also, I don't want to bring my IE8s to the gym as I work out with weights and usually snag my headphones at least once. While I haven't broke a cable, I wouldn't want to take that chance with my IE8s (or the PFE).

Also, what would someone buy it for used when they sell for $50 new, maybe $30 after shipping, not really worth it to me
wink_face.gif

I am trying to sell my other cheapies.

Quote:

Also, I was surprised to hear they had sold only 200 pairs, but their distribution channel is pretty narrow. They need to get onto Amazon, like Sleek did, and Grado recently did as well. But building a good rep counts for something, and so far, they have got that ... at least among the majority of head-fi'ers who have tried them.

x2

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #206 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by ngsm13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'll never spend the $450 to find out if the IE8's sound better... lol...

darthsmile.gif

nG

Try $250, and to me it is worth the extra $115 vs the PFE, as I feel the extra fun and enjoyment the IE8s bring to my music is worth much more than the price difference.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #207 of 3,305
Quote:

Same as your W3's, a gift from the wife. But also, I don't want to bring my IE8s to the gym as I work out with weights and usually snag my headphones at least once. While I haven't broke a cable, I wouldn't want to take that chance with my IE8s (or the PFE).

Also, what would someone buy it for used when they sell for $50 new, maybe $30 after shipping, not really worth it to me
wink_face.gif

I am trying to sell my other cheapies.

x2

My NE-7s malfunctioned (the clicker button would go off and on, just bumping it), so they sent me a new pair, and I sold them as new, for a little below the MSRP. They were represented as new to me by NuForce, so I felt confident selling them as such.

I understand the gym thing. I have so many phones that would qualify as gym phones (Sony EX082, PL30s, various ear buds, etc.). But since I play racquetball, gym phones would be a mistake. Also, when I use the home treadmill or weights, oddly enough I use my Grados, so I can hear the phone ring, etc.

I am trying to sell off some cheapies too, but so far, not much of a market for them.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #208 of 3,305
Quote:

No problem, glad to help people with their decision, as has happened to me
biggrin.gif

What would you say the strengths and weaknesses of the W3 and PFE are? When would you listen to the PFE and when would you listen to the W3? Which one is more fun, and which one is more analytical?

I really am having a hard time comparing the W3s with the PFEs. I can't say the W3s are poor performers, as some have saiod. They just don't seem to deliver the same impact (in terms of clarity, detail, etc.) that I hear with the PFEs. Certanily, their bass impact is very good, but on the mids and highs, I just keep going back to the PFEs.

I have been through a gazillion tip combos/tryouts with the W3s (including those $185 custom sleeves I had made by Future Sonics), and while fit is not really a problem with most, I had to finally admit to myself that the sibilance so many people mentioned was an issue with certain tips, mainly short ones.

After more testing/trying, I finally settled on, and this is weird, the small T100 Comply in my left ear and the standard P Comply in my right. Great seal, sound is very good. But they just don't blow me away, or should I say draw me in, like the PFEs. I know I am not crazy, because a couple other other W3/PFE owners report the same response (Chi2 and can't remember the other person).

Anyway, I keep going back and forth, trying the W3s again and again, and I just don't hear the impact a $400 pair of IEMs should deliver. I know others on here feel differently, no need to get into detail. Maybe it's just the way my ears work. I have no idea. As for fun vs. analytical, I never really view phones from that perspective. Fun to me means best sounding, and I just keep going back to the PFEs.

Sure this doesn't help. I wish I had more ways to describe it. Chi2, if you are out there, can you comment on the W3/PFE comparison. I know HPAddict has already voiced his preference for the W3, and that is the logical stance. It's just not mine, at the moment.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #209 of 3,305
Quote:

I have been through a gazillion tip combos/tryouts with the W3s (including those $185 custom sleeves I had made by Future Sonics), and while fit is not really a problem with most,
I had to finally admit to myself that the sibilance so many people mentioned was an issue with certain tips, mainly short ones.

I must have missed something. I thought you'd found audio nirvana with the W3 and modded triple-flange gels. Weren't those the ones that fixed any sibilance issues for you? Can't you just get extra pairs of those if they work so well?

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #210 of 3,305
you guys just made me order a pair. stupid site. anyways, i placed my order yesterday and i still havent received my second email from them. it says the status of my order is unbilled and unshipped. how long did it take for them to actually ship product out to you guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back