Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Apr 2, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #3,107 of 3,305
Absolutely. Mine kinda failed and I hadn't looked at them for a while - The cable is wonky right at the splitter, and I'm not totally convinced the right driver is 100%. Dug them out again in Dec. and surprise! they were working… A Christmas miracle!!. Been using them almost daily since - being extra careful not to twist the cable the wrong way

I really should have stockpiled a bunch of 012 when Earphone Solutions was clearing them out

That's what I did. They're incredibly durable despite the lightweight build. My first pair finally gave out on one channel after many years of use. Forgivable since it went through a washer and dryer about 4 years ago.

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,109 of 3,305
If it's the cable, that's an easy fix.

Not sure if it's the cable or not. They were 100 per cent one day and the one side totally dead the next. Was hoping it was just a blocked filter but nope. Cable would be beyond what I could fix, I have no skills in that area. Also the gold plating on the plug has worn off and was causing loose connection with the port on my old player, since replaced. I think part of that issue was with the player, even older than the PFE. I have three other sets bought on clearance so I moved on to the next set. Maybe I should try the old ones again and see if they magically came back to life. It would be kinda cool to revive the old ones, they have some sentimental value. When they came out of the washer and dryer they didn't work for a few days but came back to life and lasted for years.

The PFE was a very special IEM. After having gone through several much more expensive ones and being unsatisfied with them, I had given up on IEM's, thinking they were just too expensive for the sound they delivered, and then along these came. They were ahead of their time, with the tuning filters and how good they sound for the price. I wish Phonak had stayed in the market. The time and money spent on the 232 which didn't sell well, mainly because their original offering was so good for a fraction of the price, caused them to exit the market, in my opinion. The 232 was a fine product, but not enough better than the original PFE.

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #3,110 of 3,305
Yeah. They are great. Sometimes I like mine better than my etymotics. They just don't isolate quite as much, even with my tip mod. Great for lying in bed too. I had two pairs and sold one back when they were still available. Just couldn't justify having extras. :frowning2:

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #3,111 of 3,305
If it's the cable, that's an easy fix.

Well, not entirely; with the resistors, and the fact the drivers are freakishly small

These were the 1st BA I've owned and definitely have a preference for them now. Plus the design does live up to the "perfect fit" naming. I even tried their silicone tips on some of my other iems and could never get as good a fit as with the PFE - although I could maybe say the fit is too good since they create a noticeable suction when I remove them

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #3,112 of 3,305
Yeah. They are great. Sometimes I like mine better than my etymotics. They just don't isolate quite as much, even with my tip mod. Great for lying in bed too. I had two pairs and sold one back when they were still available. Just couldn't justify having extras.
frown.gif

If you dont mind sharing, whats your tip mod?

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #3,113 of 3,305
I don't know about others but my best results seem to be the Comply T130 (not the T100). Apparently, the T130 was made by Comply for Phonak Audeo PFE series IEMs. However, I find that the T130 works better for my PFE 1xx series and PFE 02 series with grey filters but it doesn't work as well for my PFE 232. The bass frequencies of the PFE 232 becomes too accentuated with the Comply T130 tips. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #3,114 of 3,305
If you dont mind sharing, whats your tip mod?

I bought some white shure triple flange tips and I cut off the third flange and stem. I may have included picture earlier in the thread. May not work for everyone, but I really like it. The stock tips kept falling out, and j generally want a little more isolation than comply's provide.

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #3,115 of 3,305
I bought some white shure triple flange tips and I cut off the third flange and stem. I may have included picture earlier in the thread. May not work for everyone, but I really like it. The stock tips kept falling out, and j generally want a little more isolation than comply's provide.

Think the same thing would work with Ety triple flange? Bought a pack, but the stem is too short for the PFE to get a good seal. Maybe cut down to just 2 flanges would work

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #3,116 of 3,305
Think the same thing would work with Ety triple flange? Bought a pack, but the stem is too short for the PFE to get a good seal. Maybe cut down to just 2 flanges would work

Yes, maybe. I never tried. I need them for my ety's. What led me to cut down the white shure triple flange tips was using the full etymotic triple flange on my phonak's. I liked the isolation, but the sound was a little weird. I either happened to have the shure tips around or I found them for a cheaper price than the ety tips.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #3,117 of 3,305
Hi guys. I had 4 pairs so far since they came out. Don't worry about filters. Take a cover off and there are 2 screws unscrew them and that will get you to the rubber housing of the BA driver. Using very small piece the soft foam stuff the outlet of the housing fairly tight equally on both channels. Check the sound and bass levels before you put the cover back on and experimet with foam amount to adjust sound signatule to your liking. It will blow you away how much these filters congest sound just because they are placed far from the driver. These IEM'S have lot more to it once you tinker with them. Also bump 60hz up on your equalizer and feel the difference.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #3,119 of 3,305
My pair that has finally failed after quite a few years appears to be due to the gold plating wearing off the plug so it no longer make a good connection with the headphone jack.  I don't know if anything, other than recabling, can fix that.  I still have three other pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back