Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Dec 30, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #2,791 of 3,305
So I've got a pair of the 022 that I use the gray filters with and love them... but I've been reading that they're discontinued.  With the caveat that I haven't read this entire 186 page thread, is it worth stocking up on filters right now?  Or maybe even buying a backup pair at $60?

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #2,792 of 3,305
I think 2 pairs would work long enough, they can only get dirty and it's possible to clean them, as far as I read about it.
As for tips, maybe the best would be to ask comply to hear from them if they planing to discontinue production anytime soon.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #2,793 of 3,305
I love my PFE 122 but I am looking for a good portable amp as they need a little help, Any thoughts?

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #2,794 of 3,305
  I love my PFE 122 but I am looking for a good portable amp as they need a little help, Any thoughts?

Have you tried the JDS Labs C421 or its successor? Perfect match with the PFE-232 so my guess is it should be very fine with the PFE 122 too. I might sell the C421 as I am planning on buying the X5 in March/April. My C421 has the OPA2227 chip + gain switch + bass boost switch + USB, imported to EU in June 2012, first owner.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #2,795 of 3,305
Haven't tried anything but an old fiio e5 but I was looking at the smaller amp like: GoVibe Mini Box http://www.soundandvision.com/content/mini-amp-review-fiio-e6-fireye-mini-govibe-mini-box-page-4

but the C421 looks pretty sweet.  Have to do some more research!  Thanks for the input.  I appreciate it.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #2,797 of 3,305
I tried the E5 (not E6) and it was OK.  Better but I wasn't wowed and hope to find a better alternative.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #2,798 of 3,305
Hey all. I have a pair of PFE111s and have been very happy with them. Just one question though....is anybody having problems with the filters falling out? Looked at mine yesterday, and one of the filters was half out, and a month or so ago both of them completely fell out - surprisingly didn't lose them. A month or so was with a pair of blacks, so I switched to the greys. I've tried looking to see if the housing was cracked, and didn't see anything. Could this be because I switched the filters a few times and now they're looser? Or possibly because I use the comply tips and rolling em round to get them squished is somehow pushing the filters out?
Any thoughts? I'll be getting a fresh new pack of filters today (Canada Post willing
frown.gif
) so hopefully they might fit a little better.
Cheers

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #2,801 of 3,305
What source are you using? My pfe s sound quite good straight from the cowon S9

Sounds pretty good from my iPhone 5 but I want to get a little improvement.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #2,803 of 3,305
Thanks!

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #2,804 of 3,305
Here is my impression with my portable devices and PFE-232. I do realize that the latter needs an amp to shine, so maybe comparison with PFE-1xx should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Nokia Lumia 820 (EQ off):
'thin' sounding with narrow soundstage. FiiO E5 (bass off) makes vocals come out more and soundstage wider and is a step up. JDS Labs C421 (bass off, high gain) is definately more powerfull, rich and warm sounding, intimate and makes you feel like you're in it

Cowon S9 (EQ/BBE off):
Just the player by itself is already much better SQ wise than Nokia Lumia 820 + Fiio E5. Adding E5 to the S9 is even better than Nokia Lumia 820 + C421. When paired with the C421 the S9 sounds really great: full, smooth and detailed with lots of power and clarity in vocals, soundstage much wider than all of the above.

If you are stuck with a smartphone, a relatively cheap and little device like a FiiO E5 is a step up. A good portable - but more bulky - amp like the JDS Labsdefinately can give you much more detail and warmth to music coming from a (smart)phone. A digital audio player obviously takes the sound to a higher level and makes the Phonak Audeo a real pleasure to listen to. Moreover if you prefer EQ/BBE/Bass boost then a DAP is worth looking into.
Hope this helps, just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back