Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Sep 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #2,777 of 3,305
That's very interesting. But the Govibe Martini + really do make the PFE 232's mid-centric which is very strange.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #2,779 of 3,305
I love the Star tips. I use them on anything Westone, or Shure, but they just didn't fit right for me on the PFE series. Never got to comparing sound.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #2,781 of 3,305
  Has anyone tried Star Tips or more preferable True Fit Tips with Audeo? I'm curious to know what changes in sound occur in comparison to silicone tips or olives.

I love Star foam tips on both 232 and 132. mid are little more forward and comfort is also top notch. The fix on 232 is little tight you need to careful

did try 20 odd tips before I settled to star tips.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2,782 of 3,305
  You couldn't fit them on the nozzle? I thought it'd be okay as I have no problem putting olives on them.

They fit the nozzles fine, they just didn't sit right in my ears. The Phonak tips worked better on the PFE232. Makes no sense to me either.

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,784 of 3,305
Interested in your feedback. I really like the sound of the medium silicone tips and they fit PERFECT, but they fall off the nozzle too easily and I have already lost one. Was thinking of ordering more from Phonak but they are quite expensive and I am bound to lose another. Tried the sony hybrids, but they don't fit as well. 

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #2,785 of 3,305
Yeah, original Phonak silicone sleeves are greater but their falling off nozzle after some time is really troublesome. Think I lost 2 of them. So I've moved to Olives as Complys alter the sound dramatically and are far too expensive for what they offer in terms of durability. I hope that the foam from Westone will retain all that Olives have plus they will isolate more due to being lengthier. I'd also consider Star tips but they won't isolate as much as fomies.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2,786 of 3,305
Any recommendations for a PFE 112/122 replacement?

I love my Phonaks for their beautiful sound (I use them with the grey tips and Complys to tame the top-end a touch), but it's such a shame I'm sold out locally.

Would really love to retain as much of that special Phonak signature as much as possible, though.

Any help would be well-appreciated. Cheers!

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #2,787 of 3,305
Any recommendations for a PFE 112/122 replacement?

I love my Phonaks for their beautiful sound (I use them with the grey tips and Complys to tame the top-end a touch), but it's such a shame I'm sold out locally.

Would really love to retain as much of that special Phonak signature as much as possible, though.

Any help would be well-appreciated. Cheers!

Er4s with a good fit is basically a pfe improvement in every area sound-wise.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,788 of 3,305
Hi guys, I bought PFE112 (rev.2) recently and I'm having some issues with them. I bought them used, but according to the owner they haven't been used much or as he told almost not at all, so I been checking if burning-in might occur and help with some problems (and I would say with some of them it did).

I been listening to them just for few days now. I tried black filters but I didn't like them and switched on gray, I usually prefer the clear sound where you can easily separate instruments and which can show you some notes you haven't heard before.

With tips it's different story. The comply doesn't bring me too good isolation. I been using silicone large tips only, the left one makes a good seal, but right one not so much (big one is maybe a bit too big for it, medium is small) but after a while of being in ear. I been thinking to give some money for comply in large size, cause although M didn't give a good seal (closing outside my ears with hands while wearing them shows the sound feeling I would want to have), the feeling of not having anything in the ear and impression that ear "breath" through them makes them more comfy for longer listening sessions. Since the L silicone are definitely only choice, do you think L size Comply T-130 would help to achieve what I said I'd want to hear? Would L foam be a problematic for right ear if silicon L is a little bit too big?

I'm using rockbox and I must say it's bass setup turned half way up really brings more bass out, they respond really nicely without sacrificing any sound quality I would say (although right one misses some of quality due to not that good fit). The treble is up 7db also. Been using compressor function (-9dB treshold) a little bit for 1st time, and it seams as it brings up the vocals more. But I got impression that compressor is not that popular option among listeners, how come?

Also last problem I have that troubles me the most is that I get a feeling that they sometimes loses a volume or clear sound at parts that should be louder or more clear. Is that a problem that amp should fix? Been thinking to get FiiO E6 anyway, but not yet. However if that problem would get fixed with it, it would be a reason to speed up my purchase. I seen only one impression so far that they respond to amp really nicely.

And I'll have to get rid of some of low bitrate MP3s I have. This headphones really shows that.

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #2,790 of 3,305

So it's been a while I use them now, and since sound changed I feel I need to update my impression.

I'm only listening mp3@320 atm, I always had them in FLAC files too, but my MP3 versions for portables always had bitrates all over the place. Of course I do not notice improvement on every tracks, but it eliminates the problem I had with some of the sub 200bps ones. The old recordings still can get some harsh sound treatment, bringing every error of old recordings forward, but it’s just the way this headphones are.

I switched forever on gray filters and comply foam. So the fit problem is gone now, you could say. The thing is that once I put them in, I have to let them settle for 10-15 minutes and then I can rearrange them one more time once in the ear. After that I would say I get a perfect fit (and as before, making shell doesn't change any characteristic of sound). It also made me tune down the bass to +11db which is quite good in my opinion (treble is still on +7). The virtualization becomes better with it too.

The second thing, the burn in did take quite a lot of time, but the sound quality is now settled. They perform less rough now (actually have quite a nice feeling to some gentle music as Jobim and Chet Atkins, and some instruments as moth organ and udu sound even more accurate now then before).

The problem of needing more juice I’d say is still here. I used my previous headphones from -13 to -10db on Rockbox, but this one on -3 to 0db. On that bass and treble is up and I do believe now getting amp might help a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back