Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
May 21, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #3,196 of 3,308
Hi, will Etymotic tri-flange tips fit with Audeo PFE? I am looking for tips with a little deeper application to slightly improve isolation (I am aware that I won't do miracles).
I am also considering filling Audeo tips with foam of Comply or similar, it worked few times and I am going to check that out.

That'll be a maybe. I talked with somebody ages ago that did try them and liked 'em. I ordered myself a set, but the nozzle length was too short and the biggest flange was squashed against the PFE housing. If you can confirm the back of the nozzle is even with or sticks out past the third flange you should be good. I did try converting the eartips to a dual-flange, but that didn't go so well

May 23, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #3,198 of 3,308
"Hybrid" foam mod of tips improved isolation significantly. Tips became slightly stiffer, but still after proper application fit and comfort is perfect. Love these IEM!
If the bore size would be more standard I would consider preparing custom tips, but it is kinda high cost for one model.

Do you know any IEM with similar sound and construction? These old IEM are almost perfectly tuned for me.
Problem with lack of gray filters are solved using green filters (stil available in some stores) and making a small hole with needle.

May 23, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #3,199 of 3,308
"Hybrid" foam mod of tips improved isolation significantly. Tips became slightly stiffer, but still after proper application fit and comfort is perfect. Love these IEM!
If the bore size would be more standard I would consider preparing custom tips, but it is kinda high cost for one model.

Do you know any IEM with similar sound and construction? These old IEM are almost perfectly tuned for me.
Problem with lack of gray filters are solved using green filters (stil available in some stores) and making a small hole with needle.

A bit ago I contacted the store where I bought my PFE from to see if they had any recommendations for a similar sig (grey filters). They suggested either Nuforce HEM2 or Campfire Orion. Haven't tried either to say if they're a match though (chatted with another fellow who had tried both and he preferred the HEM2 - but he hadn't heard the PFE)

May 24, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #3,200 of 3,308

Fiio fa1. Single BA Knowles, measurements looks great.

May 29, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #3,201 of 3,308
I tested and bought Fiio FA1. IMO these IEM are really nice upgrade. Not so shiny bright, more neutral with slightly better subbas and more smooth highs without losing details. Comfort is as perfect as Audeo, but Fiio provides better isolation. FA1 is a killer in quality/price ratio!
And Fiio are really eye-pleasuring!

Jun 19, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #3,202 of 3,308
I tested and bought Fiio FA1. IMO these IEM are really nice upgrade. Not so shiny bright, more neutral with slightly better subbas and more smooth highs without losing details. Comfort is as perfect as Audeo, but Fiio provides better isolation. FA1 is a killer in quality/price ratio!
And Fiio are really eye-pleasuring!

Really good to hear this, as I am considering ordering the FA1. Another good point about them over the PFE 112 is that I hope to be able to drive them from my phone without an amp which will make them a lot more useful on trips.

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #3,203 of 3,308
Really good to hear this, as I am considering ordering the FA1. Another good point about them over the PFE 112 is that I hope to be able to drive them from my phone without an amp which will make them a lot more useful on trips.
Actually FA1 are very sensitive to the source and you can hear hiss in some of them. My Redmi Note 4X hisses with FA1, Xduoo X3 also, but more quiet.

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #3,204 of 3,308
Actually FA1 are very sensitive to the source and you can hear hiss in some of them. My Redmi Note 4X hisses with FA1, Xduoo X3 also, but more quiet.
Good to know, I have ordered up a pair so I will see how they do without an amp. Worst case I will just keep bringing by LD MKI along for the ride.

In the long run it looks like we are about 1-2 years away from finally having reasonable Bluetooth quality with aptX Adaptive devices. (To connect to the FA1)

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #3,205 of 3,308
Both stock cables for PFE 232 were dead a year back and my favorite IEM was catching dust. Last week I used connectors from Stock cable and made my own custom one.
Now rocking with 232 again, with sliver only cables it more balanced now.

IMG-20191113-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20191113-WA0003.jpg

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #3,206 of 3,308
Both stock cables for PFE 232 were dead a year back and my favorite IEM was catching dust. Last week I used connectors from Stock cable and made my own custom one.
Now rocking with 232 again, with sliver only cables it more balanced now.

I've finally went through all my cables for my PFE 232's, can you advise on how you managed to DIY your own? Or is there some other place I can go to for replacement cables, seems a really hard thing to find now...

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #3,207 of 3,308
I've finally went through all my cables for my PFE 232's, can you advise on how you managed to DIY your own? Or is there some other place I can go to for replacement cables, seems a really hard thing to find now...

I made this cable for myself, reusing connectors from stack cable. Was not able to find any replacement cables in the market.
Previously I have made many custom cable for myself, but DIY cable for PFE-232 is relatively hard, as connectors are really really tiny.

steps are

1. User multimeter and first mark down + and - sides of the connectors in cable.
  2. Cut the connectors from stock cable, the side that connects the head phone.
  3. Remove the rubber from the connector. This is required as pin you have to solder to cable is inside, outer rubber has to go.
  4. Solder the wires to pins which is inside inner plastic of connectors. Make sure +/- side are exactly done, otherwise SQ will be muddy.
  5. Use an Adhesive heat shrink to wrap it up, as adhesive shrink becomes hard and holds connectors well. Normal heat shrink will not durable as connectors is tiny it will not hold on good enough.
The hardest part is soldering because pins are really tiny, also after applying heatsink length of connectors must be exactly like it was in stock cable. Less in length then connectors will not click nicely when you insert cables into PFE232, if length is more then it will become loose connection.

if you need more info send me and PM

20191122_094353.jpg 20191122_094452.jpg

Attachments

• 20191122_093031.jpg
    20191122_093031.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #3,208 of 3,308
Ummm guys, I dunno if this is news to anyone, or everyone, but there is a Polish online audio store selling PFE 122 and PFE 232, along with eartip accessories (no separate filters). I just ordered a pair of 122...I don't know much about SonusMobile but they seem to be a legit Polish audio supplier.

I've literally been looking for these IEMs on and off for years as my filters ran out ages ago and I had to get the plug reattached (poorly). They're €150 with this store, but worth it if I get another 8 years out of them. Apparently they come with 2 grey, 4 black filters with 2 green filters thrown in as a bonus...too good to be true? Hopefully not...I'll post back here with news after they arrive...I'm pretty stoked I won't lie. I've tried to make the best of my RE-400s, but they just aren't the same at all.

Here's the link anyway:

https://sonusmobile.com/product-eng-30-Audeo-PFE-122-with-microphone-2-green-filters.html
https://sonusmobile.com/search.php?text=phonak

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #3,209 of 3,308
Ummm guys, I dunno if this is news to anyone, or everyone, but there is a Polish online audio store selling PFE 122 and PFE 232, along with eartip accessories (no separate filters). I just ordered a pair of 122...I don't know much about SonusMobile but they seem to be a legit Polish audio supplier.

I've literally been looking for these IEMs on and off for years as my filters ran out ages ago and I had to get the plug reattached (poorly). They're €150 with this store, but worth it if I get another 8 years out of them. Apparently they come with 2 grey, 4 black filters with 2 green filters thrown in as a bonus...too good to be true? Hopefully not...I'll post back here with news after they arrive...I'm pretty stoked I won't lie. I've tried to make the best of my RE-400s, but they just aren't the same at all.

Here's the link anyway:

https://sonusmobile.com/product-eng-30-Audeo-PFE-122-with-microphone-2-green-filters.html
https://sonusmobile.com/search.php?text=phonak

They don't seems to selling anything other than Audeo, looks fishy. Let us know after they arrive.

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #3,210 of 3,308
For sure it looks a little short on products...I was pretty wary of it, but they do offer buyer protection with Trusted Shops.eu, who sent me a confirmation of the buyer protection right after I paid SonusMobile. If it wasn't for that protection, I'd probably have bought something a lot cheaper to test the waters. Received an order update from Sonus about half an hour ago, so I am optimistic. This is their About Us page, hopefully it's legit.

sonus.JPG

And just received this update:

sonus2.JPG

I just had a look on the Wayback machine - their website has been around for many years, and their products change over time. I think it's going to be ok...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back