Phonak Audeo Defect Thread
Jun 11, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #271 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pianoplayer88key,

ummm....
eek.gif
It looks like you dropped them in the blender!

x2.

How on earth did you manage to get them that scratched and banged up?

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #272 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pianoplayer88key,

ummm....
eek.gif
It looks like you dropped them in the blender!

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2.

How on earth did you manage to get them that scratched and banged up?

I guess it's what happens when they get tangled around sharp objects, for example bicycle gears (when I've temporarily taken them off so I can put my helmet on (and hung them over my shoulder but they fall off)), or I get up from the computer to go into the other room and forget that I'm wearing them, or walk away from the table where my music player is sitting with the IEMs plugged into them, and forget that the cable isn't 100' long, or someone trips over it, among other things...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I miss the good old days when everything last so long. it seems like the durability of man made product decrease as number on calender increase (pyramid is like 3000 years old and last that long while manufacturers these days usually give shorter and shorter warranty period) compare to other, your breakage seem a bit extreme. please deal with warranty and treat earphone with more care
my current pair is my third replacement. all came to me super quick and I didn't have to pay a single cent to ship them back. be confident with Audeo's customer service

I also have issues with seal using silicon tip on top of the horrible walking sound when I walk with it. what I did to improve sealing is to place a de-cored medium comply foam (too bad you toss yours, you can wash it and use for this mod) behind the silicon tip so the foam will keep the silicon in place in your ear. it get perfect seal and never fall out of my ear this way. the seal is so good and create vacuum when I try to pull it out. I only use silicon if I sit in front of table, else foam is my choice (Comply or Olive)

Actually my usage is what I would consider normal. Do I really need military-grade IEMs?
Also I didn't know the foam tips that came with the PFEs could be washed... otherwise I would have kept them because I liked them. And cleaning out my ears probably wouldn't hurt, either.
wink.gif
(Maybe that's why I've temporarily lost the ability to hear below 30-40 Hz - normally I can hear down to 6 or 8 or so, lower if it's not a sine wave. (Of course my ability to discern a musical tone goes south below about 16 Hz.))

I hear there's a new material / batch coming soon. How soon, actually, and when the time comes what would I need to do to exchange mine? (My box is probably in such bad shape that even the original manufacturer of the naturally-occurring raw materials that went into what made the box probably wouldn't even recognize it.)

And yes I miss those good old days too.
frown.gif
I have some things from the 1980s and older that are still working just fine (and even from the 1950s), but for things I've bought within the last 10 years or so I've gone through several generations. The only reason I have ever replaced anything in my lifetime that I can remember is because it wore out or broke, not because it was extremely obsolete AND I wanted something new that could do something that my old product wasn't capable of. Although, I should mention that I have gotten some new things when the old wasn't broken, but kept the old because the new product, while it had many features the old product didn't have, actually lacked some functionality of what it would have replaced.

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #273 of 467
I have an AM radio that I got in 1966 on my 16th birthday that works fine, but I never tangled it in a bicycle chain.

Nothing will last if one doesn't take MINIMAL care of it.

I wear my PFE around lathes, milling machines, drill presses 8 hours a day and they, or any other earphones I've worn to work have ever gotten even scratched.

Jun 13, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #274 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously they may have great sound, but their build quality sucks.
This thread has discouraged me from getting one of these Phonaks.
I want something to last at least one year.

Then get wireless so your cat cant chew on the cord.
rolleyes.gif

If I were the Distributor/Manufacturer and I saw this thread with you claiming abusive treatment as a defect then I would be pissed and would not be trying to help you. You dont take care of your headphones and that is your problem.

Jun 13, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #275 of 467
@olblueyez
Quote:

with you claiming abusive treatment as a defect

Sorry, but I've never made this.
I've read patiently this looooong thread, and it was clear that a big number of people here, didn't have "abusive treatment".
Why only the Pfe, have a defect thread and not other iems ? That's because there's a problem.

Quote:

You dont take care of your headphones and that is your problem.

My budget only allowed me to buy one IEM currently, and if I skipped the Pfe, that's because of this thread. I'm sure, I'm not the only one.
I know a new batch of more "robust" PFE, will be available; but I got to buy an IEM now.

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #276 of 467
So, my second pair broke on same place as first one. I really like PFE sound, but I can´t keep sending them to Germany for replacement, so I will ask for refund. Anybody get money back from horen mit fiebing?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 24, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #277 of 467
Finally sendt my Phonaks in for exchange, since not only the hairline cracks grew bigger, but also the cables started to break and just received my new ones (this time the version with mic, since I asked if I could change them and, for a little additional fee it was no problem).
So, these are black PFE 122, batch date 16.03.2009.

And since I didn't have them for a while I am surprised again how good their sound is. Let's hope they do it longer than my previous pair.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #278 of 467
I have yet to send mine (12.08) in...I'll be interested to hear if anyone's 09 models are cracking still?

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #280 of 467
Cracked wire...
frown.gif

Can anyone point me the name of the head-fi member who works for PHONAK??
I am clueless..The Phonak representatives in India are cr*p..THey just keep passing my mail between departments..

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #283 of 467
Thanks HA,
So I contacted Phonak...I think Bill from Head-Fi answered my mail..
He agreed to ship the replacement set to US but not India..
So does anyone know the approx hipping charges from the US to India
Thanks.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #284 of 467
by the way whats DOA means?
my pfe doesnt crack yet so far. but the part where the plastic housing glued together has loosen up. wonder if i could send it back just to get it glued together. it would be suck if it just fall off one day.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #285 of 467
DOA = Dead On Arrival

Users who are viewing this thread

Back