Phonak Audeo Defect Thread
May 8, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #181 of 467
I just want to chime in that Phonak's customer service is nothing short of astounding! I bought a couple of phonaks (for me and my friend), got the infamous november batch PFE112s, and one of them cracked. It didn't take long for Bill to send replacement units for me, all the way on the other side of the globe
biggrin.gif
Super happy customers here
wink.gif

Cheers Bill! Thanks Phonak! Thanks Head-Fi!

May 9, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #183 of 467
My black pair is developing a slight crack by the nozzle. If it gets worse, do you think I should get a black pair or white pair?

Not sure of my batch number, this was a replacement for one with a bad driver.

May 9, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #185 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My black pair is developing a slight crack by the nozzle. If it gets worse, do you think I should get a black pair or white pair?

Not sure of my batch number, this was a replacement for one with a bad driver.

Hey Punnisher, is the crack developing in the right or left earpiece? I'll fill in the details on the front page when you let me know. And I agree you should opt for the white pair, since they seem to be almost free of problems.

polska9 and gadgetman, thanks for the updates.

EDIT: polska9, I just skimmed through the thread but I can't find if you had the black or the white pair. I'm assuming it was the black pair? And was the crack on the left or the right? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #186 of 467
Firefox messed up, sorry if this is a double post.
Scratch the idea that white pairs don't crack guys. My second pair(sept/6/08), which I requested be white after the black ones cracked, have cracked left housing, same place as Merlin's black ones, except only 1 crack right now instead of 2. I think the myth that the white one's don't crack is only because fewer people buy white ones, so there are fewer bad pairs floating around.
I'll try to borrow a camera to post pics

May 9, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #188 of 467
pi3guy-
Wow, that sucks eggs, sorry to hear that. So what are you planning to do next? Another replacement, or refund??

May 9, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #189 of 467
here is a photo, the crack is the faint brown line, its about 1mm long in real life Attachment 16767

I think I will try to get a full refund. I like the sound of the pfe's, but warranty or not, $130 iem's should not be cracking within a month. I will buy them again when they make the housing out of better material.

May 10, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #190 of 467
Aw just checked my left earbud and found a small hairline crack. I got the white pairs last month directly from Phonak Audeo's site... I really enjoy the sound but I'm relatively new to the IEM world so I'm going to try other options and come back once there are no more reported cracking issues. Also, a small portion of the thin wires have gotten considerably stiff compared to when I first received them.

May 10, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #191 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by ignorant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw just checked my left earbud and found a small hairline crack. I got the white pairs last month directly from Phonak Audeo's site... I really enjoy the sound but I'm relatively new to the IEM world so I'm going to try other options and come back once there are no more reported cracking issues. Also, a small portion of the thin wires have gotten considerably stiff compared to when I first received them.

Hi there, have you still got the box lying around? If so, can you please post the date of manufacture? As yours were sent just last month, I'd have thought they'd have been from the latest batch. Anyway, PM wbrownie about it and request a refund so you can get something else. Hopefully the cracking issues will be sorted out at some point, but they're still coming through quite regularly at the moment.

-pi3guy
Maybe you have a point about the lack of 'white' cracks being due to the fact hardly anyone has them here!

May 10, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #192 of 467
My white PFE's (111) batch date is 2008-09-16. Got these LESS than a month ago in April. So far it's not a huge chunk that's missing but just a hairline crack.

May 10, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #193 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by ignorant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My white PFE's (111) batch date is 2008-09-16. Got these LESS than a month ago in April.

That's really bad luck. wbrownie definitely said that new pairs were shipping from the latest stock, but your date of manufacture seems to be one of the earliest. So there are now three batch numbers all with the cracking problem, and 2 owners with replacements from 02.12.2008 or 2008-12.02 (depending on which date format you use). Hopefully that batch might stay defect free, but we won't know for a few weeks until more owners get them from the same stock.

Good luck with your refund request and please update us when it's resolved.

May 10, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #194 of 467
The crack is happening in the left earpiece, near the nozzle. If it doesn't get any worse, then I won't bother sending it in. I'd actually like to wait as long as possible to make sure I get the newest batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back