Phillips DVD963sa
Apr 2, 2003 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stevesolo

100+ Head-Fier
I have heard lots of good things about the 963 here. I am really new to the higher tech CD/DVD gear. As I understand it, the 963 will play single store bought CD's, I guess this is called Redbook?, will play DVD prerecorded music and movies and SACD music which right now is limited in availabilty. Do I get it?

What makes this single play unit so special?

What is meant by multichannel 5.1 output?
It has RCA outputs, the coaxial and optical outputs are for audio and video? How would I utilize these coax and optical outputs if my preamp or TV is not equiped with these options?

Is the unit shipped with any cables and if not what might I need not having coax or optical connections on the preamp or TV?

How would I use this unit as a source for headphone listening? Is there an output source that would drive HD600's well or one that could be used to connect a Meta-42 that will produce good fidelity?
I am using an older Denon 320, 5 disc player that I have been happy with and actually has a good headphone output source but I think is set as default to the highest level and having lost the remote cannot adjust the volume level low enough as to not overdrive my Meta-42.
My guess is that upgrading to the phillips with make a hugh differnce in fildelity but will not have 5 disc capability and not sure about headphone listening.

Will some 963 owners help me get clear on my questions, Thanks

Apr 2, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 14
As a source for headphone listening it is like any other - stereo connection to an amplifier and your phones plug into the output of that amp. The meta42 would do fine, either the stereo out or the front L/R pair of the 5.1 output.

Regular CDs are redbook, yes, and it plays them well. SACDs are in limited availability compared to redbook but there is enough released already to be interesting to me. It will play movies of course and there is a simple way to make it region-free (do a search)!

The 963 comes with cables but I tossed them out, they are cheap things that I already have plenty of. One stereo pair and one composite video cable. I'm sure there are people with DVD players using composite cables, poor misguided people.

5.1 output is for SACDs that are encoded as multichannel. These also work as stereo so if you are not going to buy an audio quality 5.1 system (as opposed to a movie-quality system, somewhat less expensive usually) then don't worry about it. Connection to a receiver for movies alone is probably best done with a digital connection, coax or optical. (I don't know for sure if the 963 decodes dolby digital/dts or any movie sound format, I have always used the digital output and let the receiver handle it.)

Multi-disc players always bugged the hell out of me, so going to a single-slot player would be an upgrade to me even if the sound was the same
biggrin.gif
I can't compare what you have but probably it would be an upgrade.

(How long before we see the first 5.1 surround headphone device? I'm guessing it would look like K1000, but with five satellites and a subwoofer on top. If I was Joe Grado I'd be making use of my access to fine drivers and experimenting...)

Apr 2, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 14
I do not own the Phillips - but I can answer questions about sources in general:

Let us start with the basics. A CD player (or DVD player etc.) is generally composed of three main parts:

A. The Transport

B. The Digital to Analog Converter (known as the 'DAC' or 'D/A converter')

C. The Outputs

The transport is what actually reads the optical media (CD/DVD etc.). It spins the disk anywhere from 200 to 500 revolutions per minute (RPM - just like the RPM on a car) depending on what track is being played. For instance, the first track on a CD - which is located near the center of the CD, will be played at around 500 RPM, while the last track, inorder to maintain a constant angular momentum will be played at around 200 RPM.

What makes something digital is if it stores or reads binary code - 1's and 0's. The 1 and the 0 is ALL a digital computer knowns for instance. The 1 means "on" and the 0 means "off". One 1 or 0 equals a "bit".

Infact a certain combination of millions/billions of 1's and 0's (bits) results in what you see on your computer right now. Cool huh?

A CD is composed of pits and lands. When a CD is created a high powered laser 'burns' tiny pits onto the CD. When reading a CD, when the laser (in your CD player) hits a pit, a zero is created. When your CD player hits a "land" a one is created.

The string of 1s and 0s (about 15 billion total on a CD) is then fed into the Digital to Analog Converter - the DAC. If you have been shopping for a CD player - you have probably heard about the DAC. The DAC converts the 1s and 0s into an analog waveform - which is the music. The waveform then is exported OUT of the CD player through the analog RCA outputs (or in the case of hi-end equipment XLR outputs).

The main determiner of a CD players performance is the quality of its DAC. This is because once something enters the Analog domain it is much easier to degrade.

However all CD players which cost 500 dollars or more have excellent DACs (USUALLY). Therefore Audio Manufactuers start to focus on the transport and power supply in the ultra hi-end market.

This is because of a thing called jitter. Jitter is timing errors that degrade music. A good transport can help prevent jitter.

The digital outputs you were asking about are outputs that allow you to BYPASS the DAC in the CD player and use an external DAC. If your preamp does not have a digital input than it does not have a DAC. However, currently external DACs cannot be used with SACD.

The 5.1 outputs are outputs that allow you to export surround sound (such as Dolby Digital, DTS, or some SACDs) into a surrond sound receiver. Such outputs are irrelevent for headphone use. However, I can heard that with the Phillips the "Front" and "left" multichannel outputs sound better for headphone use than the regular two channel outputs.

Hope I helped.

Apr 2, 2003 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 14
aeberach,
Since you do not use the composite video cable that came with the unit, what kind of cable are you using? Does CVBS stand for composite video cables? The owners manual says that component video is the best. Thanks

Czilla900,
Thanks for the explanation. I kind of had some of this down, but you put it in terms that a mechanical moron like myself can understand. Thanks.

Apr 2, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 14
Right, there are two options I like and CVBS (composite) is pretty much good for nothing, even games consoles are too much for it these days. The first is S-video and it plugs into almost any TV, it also plugs into my Dell computer monitor. The other option is component video, three coaxial connectors, it plugs into my plasma screen. I was very surprised at the increase in quality going from an Arcam conventional DVD player to a mid-fi progressive-scan combo like the Philips, everything is MUCH sharper! You know that scene in The Matrix when Neo is firing the minigun from the side of the chopper? Every one of those little ammo links falling to the ground looks like it has been sharpened...

(I just sold the Arcam DVD - I'm in the process of eBaying the CD23, I'm that happy with the Philips.)

Apr 2, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 14
Careful, you could end up with Monster Cable components for WAY too much money. Check Markertek.com online, the stuff professionals use at better prices. If I sound like an advertisement it's because I buy stuff there and it's good, not because I have anything to do with them.

(what kind of display are you hooking it up with?)

Apr 3, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 14
Originally posted by aeberbach
Right, there are two options I like and CVBS (composite) is pretty much good for nothing, even games consoles are too much for it these days. The first is S-video and it plugs into almost any TV, it also plugs into my Dell computer monitor. The other option is component video, three coaxial connectors, it plugs into my plasma screen.

What would I use for 2 channel audio cables if I am limited to RCA jack imputs on the preamp?

How would the 963 be used to drive HD 600's or a portable Meta-42?

I am interested in using the 963 as a component of my primary 2 channel sound system and then perhaps getting another 963 for my big screen TV in combination with a 5 channel surround system to play video DVD's as my primary sound system and big screen TV are in different locations. I dont have optical or coax connections.

What RCA audio cables would be best for system 1 and what video/audio cables would be best for system 2?

Apr 3, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 14
For 2 channel audio you have such a huge range of choices - anything you see called "interconnects" by people here is what you want. From $2500 interconnects to $2.95, the choice is yours. Experiment until it sounds right, you don't need to strive for upgraditis, it will come naturally. If _you_ don't hear the difference between a cheap pair and a more expensive pair, save your money and buy more CDs.

To drive HD600 you need an amp. That's the meta42. Connect interconnects between meta42 and the 963. Connect HD600 to meta42 - easy. The 963 works just like a portable CD, makes sound that needs amplification.

System 1 would need a pair of good interconnects, sounds like you just want to use it for sound. I would buy interconnects up to around $200 (or make my own).

System 2 you need component video and digital audio _if_ your setup is like mine, a display that accepts component (use s-video if it doesn't) and a receiver that decodes digital output from the DVD for 5.1 surround in its various formats. I'd buy component or s-video and a coax digital audio cable from Markertek. There is some argument for buying expensive coaxial digital cables but I don't think you're going to hear "jitter" watching movies.

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Careful, you could end up with Monster Cable components for WAY too much money. Check Markertek.com online, the stuff professionals use at better prices. If I sound like an advertisement it's because I buy stuff there and it's good, not because I have anything to do with them.

(what kind of display are you hooking it up with?)

If you don't have a HDTV then S-Video will do.
Conventional sets don't really benefit from component output unless
you are doing 480p (progressive scan out) AND
your TV can display 480p (HDTV sets)
Just because your set may have component inputs,
if its not HDTV it won't do progressive and S-video will do.

Apr 3, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
If you don't have a HDTV then S-Video will do.
Conventional sets don't really benefit from component output unless
you are doing 480p (progressive scan out) AND
your TV can display 480p (HDTV sets)
Just because your set may have component inputs,
if its not HDTV it won't do progressive and S-video will do.

I feel I have to put my measly .02 into this. I've found that if you have a RPTV(rear projection) that the component cables are superior than the S-video. This is even in the analog (non-progressive/HDTV) sets. Colors tend to be deeper and there is more contrast. Anything direct view will yield modest gains in picture quality, mostly in color depth/saturation. I agree that the biggest improvements comes from going from Analog to a Progressive-Scan.

The 963A has been touted as an excellent DVD V progressive scan player so if you have an HDTV compatible set, it will be great. But if you have a non-HDTV rear-projection set with component inputs, I would still use the component cables over the S-Video. If you only have Direct View set (40" or smaller) you probably won't see much of a difference if any between S-Video and Component.

The Video guys say that cables matter here as well, but I still think it will depend on your equipment.

Does anyone know if the 963A is subject to the Chroma Bug?

Apr 3, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 14
I just found this at the Hometheaterspot.com Scroll to the last couple of posts to see the apparent bug in the firmwarehttp://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...b=5&o=&fpart=1

From what I've read so far, most of you are only getting this for music playback, but for those concerned with the video playback, you may want to make sure which firmware you have. This may only be isolated to the dvd mentioned at the bottom of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back