Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Sep 28, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #1,561 of 2,061
The bottom of the pads on the shp9500s don't seem to be flexible enough to be able to slide anything under.

They are glued down, you have to break the bottom loose from the glue...takes quite a bit of effort. The dense rubber rings make them heavy though, basically doubles the weight. I much prefered changing pads to the Shure 1840 and using custom attenuators, for better comfort and sound quality, and lighter weight.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #1,562 of 2,061
Oh it's to lift them away from your ears.

Anyway nice full size pattern, just printed it, looks good. Thanks.

5mm rubber is to increase bass (and give more room) and 2mm of felt to calm treble

The bottom of the pads on the shp9500s don't seem to be flexible enough to be able to slide anything under.

The pads are carefully prised up and the weak glue gives so you can feed the rings in, I've done 3 pairs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600088/an-audiophile-and-petrolheads-journal-buckle-up/7785#post_11121790

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #1,563 of 2,061
The pads are carefully prised up and the weak glue gives so you can feed the rings in, I've done 3 pairs.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/600088/an-audiophile-and-petrolheads-journal-buckle-up/7785#post_11121790

Sorry, it came out ambiguous but I was referring to the newer model SHP-9500S. It feels like there is some sort of firm base inside the pad next to the plastic rings, it is not really flexible. It doesn't feel it is actually glued to anything, it is inside covered by the pad fabric

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #1,564 of 2,061
After wearing them more and more often over the past couple of weeks, I find them much more comfortable now. No longer considering a pad swap. Maybe the sharpness of the nylon or w/e it is softened up. Doesn't feel scratchy any more.

I still wouldn't mind if at it's smallest setting the pads sat a quarter to a half click higher, so I have some felt. I'll see what putting a couple of strips between the band and top pad does. And since I have the felt, for no good reason really I want to also try the donuts of felt thing, where some of you guys were sliding a pad shaped ring in from inside, under the entire pad- just trace an oval from the outside of the pad, then trimming the inside of the donut increasingly slimmer, until none of the ring is sticking out from under the pad/overlapping the driver?

Glad I stuck with them now, instead of instantly returning for the HD 579 massdrop for 2x as much. There'd have been no end to that.
I found the same thing about the scratchiness. But for me it only took 3 days for the scratchiness to go away.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #1,566 of 2,061
I finally ordered a set of HM 5's . Soon as they come in , I plan to do an a/b with my daily drivers (DT990 Pro) . Apologies for the dual post . I hit the wrong button , can't figure out how to delete my first post .

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,567 of 2,061
I let curiosity get the better of me and took delivery on some 9500s' Monday. I'm feeding them 16 - 24 FLAC via Modi Multibit - Magni 3. My first thought, why are all these people saying the bass is lacking? My second thought, what a bargain! Tape modded or not to my ears the Sennheiser 558's don't compare with these. The Grado 225e's have better imaging and a more realistic soundstage, but have a far more fatiguing sound.

While these wouldn't be special @ $200.00 to $300.00, for $50.00 they definitely are.

The only mod, I bent/twisted the headband for a more snug fit.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,568 of 2,061
I let curiosity get the better of me and took delivery on some 9500s' Monday. I'm feeding them 16 - 24 FLAC via Modi Multibit - Magni 3. My first thought, why are all these people saying the bass is lacking? My second thought, what a bargain! Tape modded or not to my ears the Sennheiser 558's don't compare with these. The Grado 225e's have better imaging and a more realistic soundstage, but have a far more fatiguing sound.

While these wouldn't be special @ $200.00 to $300.00, for $50.00 they definitely are.

The only mod, I bent/twisted the headband for a more snug fit.
When I first got my 9500s, I was expecting them to be really bass light, but they had more bass than I was expecting.They do roll off below 100 Hz so they don't have as much mid and sub bass as some other headphones; but, neither do the 558's. The bass isn't that far off from the 558's. The 558's have maybe just a touch more upper bass and a touch more low mids. As well as having less treble than the 9500s. To me the 558's are a little warmer and relaxed than the 9500s; but the 9500's have better imaging detail.
I like them both in different ways.
I agree; for the price you can get them for, the 9500s are a bargain.

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #1,569 of 2,061
I have never been pleased with my 558's, too veiled for my taste. I have at times a painful sensitivity to upper mid lower treble forward speaker/headphones, so you'd think the 558's would be in my wheelhouse? The Grado's were my second open back headphones and while I prefer them over the Sennheiser's they do wear me down quickly with a lot of music. My "go to" headphones are the one's pictured in my avatar, the NAD HP50's.

The Philips absorb more power than any of my others. Most times a 9:00 or maybe at the highest 10:00 volume setting is all I can take with any modern mastered music. I've been @ 12:00 or better with these with absolutely no painful peaks. This points to their somewhat recessed sound in the upper mids. The top end is a bit sizzly, but not enough to be distracting. The bass performance is ok for me. On selections that I know have a fair amount of bass they seem more than adequate. I did notice them struggling a bit with the bass on one very loudly recorded high res track from a Joan Osborne album. So far that ain't bad.

At this early point my impression of the 9500S' is they do nothing remarkably well, but they don't seem to do anything remarkably bad either. For me that's a fairly impressive quality!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,571 of 2,061
Tried 770 headband which didn't snap up. But they will work if glued down. They touch at the top, they just don't overlap and snap. It solves the sliding on head issue. This with hm5 sheep/ xb1k pads seems to work. Ofc i got the ( . ) cups. *SMH* but its ok :D I'm done with 9500 mods :p , i've taken it to the moon and back, in a Cadillac.I'm in the 9500 therapy stage. :D

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #1,572 of 2,061
IMG_6711.jpg

Mine just arrived today, so far so good. They're just running off a little Creative E1 connected via usb. I was running them directly off my iphone 8 plus earlier but had to really max the volume which surprised me.

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #1,573 of 2,061
I read a lot of good stuff on Philips SHP 9500 and usually prices are 1$ = 1€ but in this case in Europe the lower price I can get them is about 120€

I was wondering if at this price point I can get a better alternative maybe from AKG or other brands.

I would like to use them mostly for gaming / watch movies and not so ofter for some music.

I can also consider to go with a Samson SR850s ( about 30€ )and wait to see if after Christmas the price get lower.

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #1,574 of 2,061
Took advantage of black friday pricing and finally picked up a pair of the SHP9500S from newegg after putting it off. Now I'm disappointed that I didn't pick them up sooner!! I've only ever used closed headphones before so I wasn't sure what to expect. A lot of hype over these, but also several naysayers. All I can say is WOW. These were even better than I expected, and the bass is much better than many comments led me to believe. I've added 2 dB around 40 hz and 1.5 db around 80 hz to enhance it a little, but other than that, I'm very impressed with the clarity, fullness, and resolution. Comfort is fantastic - I'm used to a clamp and seal from closed-back phones, so it feels a little off to me, but it works.

I've had 3, one SHP9500 and two SHP9500S - one of the SHP9500S was bought to modify for a friends gaming headset, which is like the one in the picture, and the other is stock for a reference. Between the HM5 Hybrid, Shure 1840, Shure 1540, and stock pads she liked the 1540 pads the best (because with the attenuators they have the hardest hitting and deepest bass). I like the 1840 pads the best because they are the most balanced and cleanest sounding, and still have very nice bass with the attenuators. My SHP9500 is mainly for gaming or unamped listening on youtube and bandcamp with my tablet.

So I'm interested in trying different pads to play with the sound a little and your experience seems best represented on this. I tried slipping my spare HM5 pads (regular not angled) on them and it sounded absolutely terrible. Bass was slightly better represented but boomy in a bad way. Mids sounded muffled/muddled and highs warbled. Basically it was like listening through a tube - absolutely terrible.

From your postings, you seem to prefer the Shure 1840. How exactly does this alter/enhanced the sound? Are there any drawbacks? How large are the inner dimensions of the openings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back