Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Feb 2, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,592 of 2,061
I think top power is 200mW for the 9500.
But feeding 190mW to them at 100dB/mW will mean hear loss.
At only 100mW you get 120dB.

http://www.digizoid.com/power.php
Yeah, i am aware of the extreme loudness at that point, i am just asking because mistakes sometimes happen (especially to me).
Thanks for the info about the power rating, now i know.

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,593 of 2,061
I've had mine for about a year and they seem pretty solidly built. The only 'wear' on them as far as I can tell is that the right cup slides more freely than when I first got them. If I hold them by the top of the headband gravity pulls the right side down a few notches. It doesn't affect anything, they still fit great and don't rattle in any way.
I am pretty careful with my headphones in general, but I realize I treat these a little more casually than some of my other headphones because they are kind of chunky and solid feeling, with not a lot of moving parts to get screwed up.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #1,594 of 2,061
The headband sliding is really not an issue for me since i'm a smallhead, so i keep them at 0 all the time.
I treat them very gently, precisely clean them with a microfiber cloth and other stuff like that.
Its true that the construction is pretty thicc overall with nice hard plastics and not much movement as you said (unlike M50x which rotates around like a russian kid in CSGO trying to get 360noscope).
Thanks for the insight, i hope i'll make them last between 3 years and forever :wink:

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,595 of 2,061
The headband sliding is really not an issue for me since i'm a smallhead, so i keep them at 0 all the time.
I treat them very gently, precisely clean them with a microfiber cloth and other stuff like that.
Its true that the construction is pretty thicc overall with nice hard plastics and not much movement as you said (unlike M50x which rotates around like a russian kid in CSGO trying to get 360noscope).
Thanks for the insight, i hope i'll make them last between 3 years and forever :wink:
I never thought of myself as having a small head until I got into headphones. Mine are at the zero setting also...I found that the Senitek hybrid pads really improves the fit, they are a little bit tighter and feel more clamped in place, in a good way. It sounds like the way you treat your headphones is a lot better than how I do, so I am betting they last you quite a while.

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #1,596 of 2,061
Any advice to make the headband more comfortable? Kind of hurts sitting right on the top of my head, unlike my Sennheiser 558's. Was thinking maybe a universal headband replacement...thing. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #1,597 of 2,061
To me, swapping to a thinner, more conforming leather strap helps increase comfort over stock. I use the MrSpeakers Leather comfort strap for the Fostex TX0RP and mod it using the clear plastic piece found inside the stock headband as a template for shape and hole locations.

i-c8FxwB6-X4.jpg

i-7rGBrzv-X4.jpg

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,598 of 2,061
Treble too strong. Like Grado sr60e it hurts good for a little awhile. Im going to see if I can find a cheap HE400s. Or something else full-size thatll work well straight out of an iphone. Audio Technica maybe

Edit: The treble is definitely not Grado level hotness, but ssslightly sharp. Im being picky here. Fantastic headphone still.

And I did not like stock pads angled. FYI the glue was very difficult to pry up on one earpad. I had to cut with a knife. Probably lucky I did not make a mess and cut through earpad.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #1,599 of 2,061

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,600 of 2,061
I've been listening for few days now and i have noticed very slight channel imbalance in some songs (mainly older Kraftwerk albums) in a way that the center image isn't exactly 100% with the center of my head but somewhere between my nose and my left eye. Could it be a mechanical issue or my ears just doing sh-t (i'm sick last few days and my ears pop every few minutes)?
Also, i found out that the right side's metal adjustment indicator wiggles a little bit in the round shiny plastic at the end of the black headband cover. It rattles a bit when i shake the headphones. Should i be concerned?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #1,601 of 2,061
Definitely don't judge sound when you're sick. Really throws you off.

The right side has been consistently looser than the left on these headphones for some reason. Happens all the time. Don't worry about it.

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #1,602 of 2,061
Definitely don't judge sound when you're sick. Really throws you off.

The right side has been consistently looser than the left on these headphones for some reason. Happens all the time. Don't worry about it.
2nd on both of these...I got an ear infection right in the middle of my KZ buying spree and some of them didn't sound 'right' to me for weeks as my ear healed.
And I think I may have mentioned the right slider being a little loose, I guess it's normal, and after a year of use mine is still fine.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,603 of 2,061
RandomDave said:
Hey guys,
i recently got my SHP9500S/27 (quite a rarity here in europe) and i am very happy, but i'd like to ask long-term users about the build. The headphones seems reasonably durable, but since they are quite bassy (at least for me), didn't something go loose or rattling after 2+ years of extensive use? I know Z uses them and still has the original pair from 2015 and he never mentioned any issues.
Also, i ordered FiiO Q1 Dac/amp combo for them, if i was a real dumbass, could i blow them up with the Q1? I know it can do 190mW into 32ohms, but i didn't find such power rating about the headphones themselves.
Thanks for answers and sorry for nooby questions!

I've had mine for 2 years with no issues. I run them on an XDuoo-XD05 on mid gain, and this is a 500mW amp which can run HD600s and T50RPs at full tilt! I chose the amp for its bass boost, mainly. These headphones can take power when it's thrown at them. Your Q1 should be absolutely fine. They are actually slightly harder to drive than they say on the tin, I find.

No mods. I'm not sold on any of the mods or pad-rollings I've seen. They all seem to kill the soundstage, and that's the main thing the headphones have going for them, for me.

Build is fine. I don't get the complaints about build honestly. The things that need to be metal are metal, and the plastic where it exists is mostly good quality. They don't rattle when I'm wearing them.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #1,604 of 2,061
Ok, so i've been using the headphones for a some time now but recently I made a really stupid mistake, i was listening to music at normal volume (Q1 volume knob 6.5 low gain) relative to 0db signal, but i accidentally left the notifications at max and unfortunately the sound i use is well over 0db, like +10 or +15dB. When an email came, i went nearly deaf. I could not check the headphones immidiately after that, but I feel like they're just a tiny bit harsher but that could just be my imagination. Could the quick volume spike damage the headphones/the amp/the dac?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back