Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jun 3, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #901 of 2,061
Have any of you guys tried doing an earpad swap mod (removing the stock pads with some force and putting on new pads with the help of a ring adapter)? I'm probably going to do the earpad mod once the pads wear out, and I'm wondering what earpads will make the headphones sound warmer and bassier, so that they can be better suited for movies and music that relies more heavily on bass?

Yep! Check it out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/717690/philips-shp9500-discussion-thread/885#post_12597824

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #904 of 2,061
zac brown band - overnight sounds so nice. The impact of the drums and airiness of the brass...
L3000.gif
these cans just reproduce everything about the track so well. These cans definitely have tracks they match well with and others that they don't, but when they do pair well... damn!(in a good way)

They are worth trying if anyone is on the fence about grabbing a pair. They may sound a bit anemic if you are coming from a bass heavy headphone like denons, but the bass is there, and it is clean, fast, and impactful.

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #905 of 2,061
On sale for $50.00 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190&cm_re=Philips_SHP9500-_-26-138-190-_-Product

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #909 of 2,061
anyone know if kabeldirekt 3.5mm cables are okay, I remember somewhere zeos recommending the brand, but it doesn't say oxygen free...

20+aud for 2 meter cable with postage on ebay, still kinda pricey for a cable

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #910 of 2,061
I'm so impress by this headphone consider the price. $40 to $60. I'm comparing to the shp9500 to the hd600 right now.

Sweet! Let us know your comparison impressions!

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #911 of 2,061
I'm so impress by this headphone consider the price. $40 to $60. I'm comparing to the shp9500 to the hd600 right now.

Sweet! Let us know your comparison impressions!

comfort - shp9500 is way better, less clamp force. I got a big head, user comfort may very. shp9500 just fits snugly on my head, where hd600 is comfortable but I would feel the extra clam force right a way when I switch from the Philips to the senns. If I shake my head hard the HD600 would stay put, the Philips would fall of. I would give comfort to the philips.

Weight - Shp is lighter, I can use this headphone all day.

build quality - HD600 is way better, shp is 5, hd600 is 7 from 1 to 10.

sound quality - I would use them for vocal oriented music, also bass light music. I would not use them for movies/soundtracks, both of them lack sound stage. X2 would be the way to go. So, I'm not going to compare too much of the sound stage and the bass of those two headphones.

1. shp9500 is more sibilant prone/sharp, but not to the point of where it become not enjoyable. The sibilant may make you think it has better clarity, but not so. Shp9500 is a brighter and warmer, Vocal oriented as well, everything is clear. bigger sound stage. Shp9500 attacks the music, being a warmer headphone it will sound fuller or more meat to the vocals, like the x2. I see x2 as a great upgrade to the Shp9500, X2 has bigger sound stage and warmer, fuller vocals, and fixed the soft bass issue, X2 has a little sibilant as well but not overwhelming. When high notes come on, I feel like the singer is pulling away from the mike on the Philips, a great example is when listening to Carry Underwood.

2. HD600 is vocal focus, neutral headphone, the sound signature of both headphones are alike. no sibilant at all. When you close your eyes the HD600 will sound more intimate. background instruments are more present. It handle the high notes way better, it does not fade like the Philips, it stops before it becomes annoying/sibilant.

3. both falls on the lighter side in the bass department, HD600 has tighter and deeper bass. HD600 is lay-back and it plays the music effortlessly, both are fairly slow when it comes to decay.

4. Instrument on the hd600 is better/clear/present well separated, you can pick out different instruments from the left cup to the right with ease. On the Philips instruments sound muddy/hiding behind the vocals, clustered.

I enjoy both headphones, for $40 to $60 Philips is a great buy, and you can use it without amp/ on the go. I know they are a open set of headphones, some may prefer a close back like Ath-m40x, personally I like the m40x better than the Ath-m50x, had both. HD600 is mostly for home use, I try it with my S5 and I sounded good too. Both headphones sound better with a good amp. HD600 new is $300+, used $200+, I got mine for about $200. I would try to find one for $200 to $250, I think that a fair price.

I'm running the HD600 and SHP9500 out of the Grace m9xx amp.

HD650 and the X2 are not bad either. (more bass compare to the HD600, consider "fun" mid/hifi headphones.)
HD600 and HD650 need a good amp, for they are 250 ohms.

HD600 is a upgrade to the shp9500.
X2 and HD650 is a upgrade to the HD598.
I have the HD598 as well, X2 has taking over.
I like the SHP9500 better than the HD598.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #912 of 2,061
comfort - shp9500 is way better, less clamp force. I got a big head, user comfort may very. shp9500 just fits snugly on my head, where hd600 is comfortable but I would feel the extra clam force right a way when I switch from the Philips to the senns. If I shake my head hard the HD600 would stay put, the Philips would fall of. I would give comfort to the philips.

sound quality - I would use them for vocal oriented music, also bass light music. I would not use them for movies/soundtracks, both of them lack sound stage. X2 would be the way to go. So, I'm not going to compare too much of the sound stage and the bass of those two headphones.

1. shp9500 is more sibilant prone/sharp, but not to the point of where it become not enjoyable. The sibilant may make you think it has better clarity, but not so. Shp9500 is a brighter and warmer, Vocal oriented as well, everything is clear. bigger sound stage. Shp9500 attacks the music, being a warmer headphone it will sound fuller or more meat to the vocals, like the x2. I see x2 as a great upgrade to the Shp9500, X2 has bigger sound stage and warmer, fuller vocals, and fixed the soft bass issue, X2 has a little sibilant as well but not overwhelming. When high notes come on, I feel like the singer is pulling away from the mike on the Philips, a great example is when listening to Carry Underwood.

2. HD600 is vocal focus, neutral headphone, the sound signature of both headphones are alike. no sibilant at all. When you close your eyes the HD600 will sound more intimate. background instruments are more present. It handle the high notes way better, it does not fade like the Philips, it stops before it becomes annoying/sibilant.

3. both falls on the lighter side in the bass department, HD600 has tighter and deeper bass. HD600 is lay-back and it plays the music effortlessly, both are fairly slow when it comes to decay.

4. Instrument on the hd600 is better/clear/present well separated, you can pick out different instruments from the left cup to the right with ease. On the Philips instruments sound muddy/hiding behind the vocals, clustered.

I enjoy both headphones, for $40 to $60 Philips is a great buy, and you can use it without amp/ on the go. I know they are a open set of headphones, some may prefer a close back like Ath-m40x, personally I like the m40x better than the Ath-m50x, had both. HD600 is mostly for home use, I try it with my S5 and I sounded good too. Both headphones sound better with a good amp. HD600 new is $300+, used $200+, I got mine for about $200. I would try to find one for $200 to $250, I think that a fair price.

HD650 and the X2 are not bad either. (more bass compare to the HD600, consider "fun" mid/hifi headphones.)

I like 9500 more  than 598 either. But I'm not sure m9xx can fully drive HD600. It's DAC part is great. A more powerful amp. helps expanding soundstage of HD600. Though I didn't held X2 long, I feel it did not have a larger soundstage than 600.

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #913 of 2,061

Great comparison! I have the HD598se as well. The HD598's give out a nice clean sound. But the SHiP's are more realistic sounding for me (but they are less forgiving if the sound is low/quality bitrate compared with the HD598.)

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #915 of 2,061
I've made a lot of upgrade this year. I got the m50x,than hd598, m40x, sony mdr6, x2,'hd600, HE 500, shp9500, ath500x, thxoo,m100, and a few more cheapos. I said best ban for buck under $500 is the HE 500, and it destroys all my other headphone in pure sonic performance,except for sound stage, its not as big as the x2. Under $200 is the x2,best on the go headphone if you don't mind music leakage. I put x2 over the hd600, because is more enjoyable "fun", you get the detail of the hd600, plus sound stage and bass. Vmoda m100 is also a great choice on the go, another"fun" headphone with great bass. I put the m100s over audio Technica m40x and m50x because I has better bass, and its made of durable material, m100s are the best made quality headphones out there.I highly recommend vmoda m100 if you can find one under $150 as a portable hp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back