Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jul 1, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #916 of 2,061
comfort - shp9500 is way better, less clamp force. I got a big head, user comfort may very. shp9500 just fits snugly on my head, where hd600 is comfortable but I would feel the extra clam force right a way when I switch from the Philips to the senns. If I shake my head hard the HD600 would stay put, the Philips would fall of. I would give comfort to the philips.

Weight - Shp is lighter, I can use this headphone all day.

build quality - HD600 is way better, shp is 5, hd600 is 7 from 1 to 10.

sound quality - I would use them for vocal oriented music, also bass light music. I would not use them for movies/soundtracks, both of them lack sound stage. X2 would be the way to go. So, I'm not going to compare too much of the sound stage and the bass of those two headphones.

1. shp9500 is more sibilant prone/sharp, but not to the point of where it become not enjoyable. The sibilant may make you think it has better clarity, but not so. Shp9500 is a brighter and warmer, Vocal oriented as well, everything is clear. bigger sound stage. Shp9500 attacks the music, being a warmer headphone it will sound fuller or more meat to the vocals, like the x2. I see x2 as a great upgrade to the Shp9500, X2 has bigger sound stage and warmer, fuller vocals, and fixed the soft bass issue, X2 has a little sibilant as well but not overwhelming. When high notes come on, I feel like the singer is pulling away from the mike on the Philips, a great example is when listening to Carry Underwood.

2. HD600 is vocal focus, neutral headphone, the sound signature of both headphones are alike. no sibilant at all. When you close your eyes the HD600 will sound more intimate. background instruments are more present. It handle the high notes way better, it does not fade like the Philips, it stops before it becomes annoying/sibilant.

3. both falls on the lighter side in the bass department, HD600 has tighter and deeper bass. HD600 is lay-back and it plays the music effortlessly, both are fairly slow when it comes to decay.

4. Instrument on the hd600 is better/clear/present well separated, you can pick out different instruments from the left cup to the right with ease. On the Philips instruments sound muddy/hiding behind the vocals, clustered.

I enjoy both headphones, for $40 to $60 Philips is a great buy, and you can use it without amp/ on the go. I know they are a open set of headphones, some may prefer a close back like Ath-m40x, personally I like the m40x better than the Ath-m50x, had both. HD600 is mostly for home use, I try it with my S5 and I sounded good too. Both headphones sound better with a good amp. HD600 new is $300+, used $200+, I got mine for about $200. I would try to find one for $200 to $250, I think that a fair price.

I'm running the HD600 and SHP9500 out of the Grace m9xx amp.

HD650 and the X2 are not bad either. (more bass compare to the HD600, consider "fun" mid/hifi headphones.)

HD600 and HD650 need a good amp, for they are 250 ohms.

HD600 is a upgrade to the shp9500.

X2 and HD650 is a upgrade to the HD598.

I have the HD598 as well, X2 has taking over.

I like the SHP9500 better than the HD598.

Great comparison! I have the HD598se as well. The HD598's give out a nice clean sound. But the SHiP's are more realistic sounding for me (but they are less forgiving if the sound is low/quality bitrate compared with the HD598.)
I agree. the HD598 is a colored/warm hp, it does not emphasised on vocals, I think they are meant to be a movie headphone, it has a nice sound stage. Philips shp 9500 does music better, senns hd598 does movie better. Once you get in high end headphones there's no going back. Why would I use the hd600 when I have the HE 500 available.

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #918 of 2,061
Does anyone own the T50rp M3 or any of the RP M3 series and care to compare the difference if you also own the SHP9500? Thanks!

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #919 of 2,061
  Does anyone own the T50rp M3 or any of the RP M3 series and care to compare the difference if you also own the SHP9500? Thanks!

OK, mk3 vs SHP9500..
I have T50RP mk3 (HM5 Hybrid, HD600 headband pad, mass loaded, acoustipack in the inside, 4 of 8 ports taped, 3 of 4 vents taped).
Unfortunately I sold SHP´s 2 days ago for $125. They are really hard to get here in CZ, thus that price.. 
I sold them because I listen 90% of the time in somewhat noisy environment.
For me the only thing that SHP can do better sound-wise is some classic rock that don´t require deep bass, for example Stairway to heaven. Comfort is obviously one of the top features of SHP, but sometimes they feel like they will fall off your head..

Comparing these two is difficult, as they are different almost in every way, but personally I find mk3 as clear winner if you dont mind tinkering few things (not saying they don´t sound amazing out of the box, they do :D).
That fast planar bass is just so addictive and it is really easy to customize (can satisfy both bassheads and ehm.. the opposite side), that´s I think the biggest difference between these two headphones.
Mids in SHP is nice and linear, but I had to EQ up the 2-3k region by about +4dB, it was simply missing. 
Aggressive, forward vocals, that is probably why I love the mk3, but I listen a lot to metal and I can imagine that someone who likes for example jazz maybe don´t find it so amazing, not sure.
Treble here is most tricky to compare, SHP has better extension, but it seems little artificial and plasticky, maybe too much emphasized for treble sensitive ears, like mine :D but treble can be tamed easily.
In mk3 there is audible 9k spike, which makes cymbals little more "metallic" than they really are, but after internal mods treble is more linear and sweet now. Still, there is big potential for modding. Also treble in mk3 is more forgiving in bad recorded songs.

mk3 has much better imaging mainly in games (csgo) and If you angle them, it becomes even better, so I´m planning to cut HM5 pads and take out some of the foam out to make them angled (hm5 angled is too thick imho).
They surprised me how open they can sound, considering the "semi closed" construction, which can also be customised from open to closed (t20 to t50 and t40).
Lastly I have to mention there is this feeling.. When you swith from SHP to mk3, you say ok, more bass etc, but nothing extra, BUT when you switch from mk3 back to SHP, you definitelly hear something missing :)

For me, deciding between these two was easy due to the price.
SHP for $120 or mk3 for $180..
If you can buy SHP for $60, it´s a no-brainer and if you can afford it, buy both :D

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #920 of 2,061
  OK, mk3 vs SHP9500..
I have T50RP mk3 (HM5 Hybrid, HD600 headband pad, mass loaded, acoustipack in the inside, 4 of 8 ports taped, 3 of 4 vents taped).
Unfortunately I sold SHP´s 2 days ago for $125. They are really hard to get here in CZ, thus that price.. 
I sold them because I listen 90% of the time in somewhat noisy environment.
For me the only thing that SHP can do better sound-wise is some classic rock that don´t require deep bass, for example Stairway to heaven. Comfort is obviously one of the top features of SHP, but sometimes they feel like they will fall off your head..

Comparing these two is difficult, as they are different almost in every way, but personally I find mk3 as clear winner if you dont mind tinkering few things (not saying they don´t sound amazing out of the box, they do :D).
That fast planar bass is just so addictive and it is really easy to customize (can satisfy both bassheads and ehm.. the opposite side), that´s I think the biggest difference between these two headphones.
Mids in SHP is nice and linear, but I had to EQ up the 2-3k region by about +4dB, it was simply missing. 
Aggressive, forward vocals, that is probably why I love the mk3, but I listen a lot to metal and I can imagine that someone who likes for example jazz maybe don´t find it so amazing, not sure.
Treble here is most tricky to compare, SHP has better extension, but it seems little artificial and plasticky, maybe too much emphasized for treble sensitive ears, like mine :D but treble can be tamed easily.
In mk3 there is audible 9k spike, which makes cymbals little more "metallic" than they really are, but after internal mods treble is more linear and sweet now. Still, there is big potential for modding. Also treble in mk3 is more forgiving in bad recorded songs.

mk3 has much better imaging mainly in games (csgo) and If you angle them, it becomes even better, so I´m planning to cut HM5 pads and take out some of the foam out to make them angled (hm5 angled is too thick imho).
They surprised me how open they can sound, considering the "semi closed" construction, which can also be customised from open to closed (t20 to t50 and t40).
Lastly I have to mention there is this feeling.. When you swith from SHP to mk3, you say ok, more bass etc, but nothing extra, BUT when you switch from mk3 back to SHP, you definitelly hear something missing :)

For me, deciding between these two was easy due to the price.
SHP for $120 or mk3 for $180..
If you can buy SHP for $60, it´s a no-brainer and if you can afford it, buy both :D

Awesome! Thanks for that detailed comparison. Really appreciate it! I have some t50 Mark3's that I ordered and should be getting this week. I am HOPING that this will be my last headphone purchase for awhile and really wanted to try planar sound.  (Yes I am addicted to headphones lol)

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #922 of 2,061
While unquestionably my HD580 & HD600 are my favorite cans, my SHP9500 is pretty darned good if a tad bright.  What I found interesting is how well they scaled with the Garage 1217 Project Polaris I recently added to my desktop setup.
  Very, very nice! 

What would you say about the clarity and detail on the SHP9500 VS HD600? I'd like to have HD600-ish variant with more of the treble, but not compromise on the detail and clarity.

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #923 of 2,061
In the T50RP Mark III versus SHP9500 debate, my vote goes for the SHP9500's without a doubt... I'm talking STOCK UNMODIFIED T50RP Mark III versus STOCK UNMODIFIED SHP9500. The T50RP's have excellent upper mids to highs and extremely fast response but that's about it. The low end is far too rolled off in comparison to the SHP9500's and they also have a narrower frequency reproduction range. The SHP9500's drivers while not as responsive as the T50RP planar driver, are not that far behind - they have all the detail and speed needed to bring out very quick and minute movements in complicated classical pieces with finese and authority. The main thing is the SHP9500 sound spectacular doing it while the T50RP are more riding the technical side of things, being more flat sounding and then right on the edge of what you can absolutely take for the higher end frequencies...very up front and almost harsh highs.

The low end is where the T50RP just can't compare to the SHP9500, especially with a simple and extremely inexpensive mod to the SHP9500 (~4.5mm thick rubber doughnut cutout placed under the earpads) you get a really nice extended bass detail and more presence. I like the modded SHP9500's nearly as much as my modded Denon AH-D2000's - they have just as much detail in the bass, nearly reach as far down, but don't have the impact in comparison. Everything besides the low end stays pretty much the exact same with the mod. I can't think of any time other than maybe trying to decipher lyrics that I would honestly want to listen to the T50RP's over the SHP9500's, especially because of how uncomfortable the T50RP are to wear (one of the worst) while the SHP9500 is one of the most comfortable headphones to wear (more so than AKG K7XX.) I had to put Shure 1840 pads on the T50RP just to keep from hating to wear them and they still are the very worst headphone I have in regards to comfort.

Vocals and non bass-heavy electronica would be the only types of music I would want to listen to on the T50RP's. For those and every other type of music, I'd much rather listen on the SHP9500's...most especially classical/symphonic and bass heavy music whether acoustic or electronic.

And then there's the huge price difference between the with the T50RP costing TWICE that of the SHP9500 normally...The $50 rebate still going on for the T50RP now makes it better though.

P.S. And the equipment I'm using them on is a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red USB DAC/amp + Meier Corda JAZZ-ff amp (when at home).

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #924 of 2,061
In the T50RP Mark III versus SHP9500 debate, my vote goes for the SHP9500's without a doubt... I'm talking STOCK UNMODIFIED T50RP Mark III versus STOCK UNMODIFIED SHP9500. The T50RP's have excellent upper mids to highs and extremely fast response but that's about it. The low end is far too rolled off in comparison to the SHP9500's and they also have a narrower frequency reproduction range. The SHP9500's drivers while not as responsive as the T50RP planar driver, are not that far behind - they have all the detail and speed needed to bring out very quick and minute movements in complicated classical pieces with finese and authority. The main thing is the SHP9500 sound spectacular doing it while the T50RP are more riding the technical side of things, being more flat sounding and then right on the edge of what you can absolutely take for the higher end frequencies...very up front and almost harsh highs.

The low end is where the T50RP just can't compare to the SHP9500, especially with a simple and extremely inexpensive mod to the SHP9500 (~4.5mm thick rubber doughnut cutout placed under the earpads) you get a really nice extended bass detail and more presence. I like the modded SHP9500's nearly as much as my modded Denon AH-D2000's - they have just as much detail in the bass, nearly reach as far down, but don't have the impact in comparison. Everything besides the low end stays pretty much the exact same with the mod. I can't think of any time other than maybe trying to decipher lyrics that I would honestly want to listen to the T50RP's over the SHP9500's, especially because of how uncomfortable the T50RP are to wear (one of the worst) while the SHP9500 is one of the most comfortable headphones to wear (more so than AKG K7XX.) I had to put Shure 1840 pads on the T50RP just to keep from hating to wear them and they still are the very worst headphone I have in regards to comfort.

Vocals and non bass-heavy electronica would be the only types of music I would want to listen to on the T50RP's. For those and every other type of music, I'd much rather listen on the SHP9500's...most especially classical/symphonic and bass heavy music whether acoustic or electronic.

And then there's the huge price difference between the with the T50RP costing TWICE that of the SHP9500 normally...The $50 rebate still going on for the T50RP now makes it better though.

P.S. And the equipment I'm using them on is a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red USB DAC/amp + Meier Corda JAZZ-ff amp (when at home).

I totally agree with you! I have both, unmodded. And the from all the headphones that I have the Mark3's have the least engaging bass, especially on the deep deep bass where it totally just gets lost or washed out and subdued. To my ears.  Songs that utilize it such as Kendrick Lamar hip-hop rap, Daft Punk etc. And rock such as Rush and Dream Theater.
GAMING? Nope not with those cans. While the treble and mids are great, the thumps and explosions are too recessed. Also these cans need a lot of POWER. 
I do love them for mixing and for video editing and don't mind the stock pads. But yes, mainly the bass is what I was disappointed with. Even with bass boost or equalizing in more bass. So I would too if given the choice to give one of the up... it would be the Mark3's. But again all headphones have their flavor and I do like them a lot.

The SHiPs are freaking awesome, and the bass is good. (For gaming I prefer my Superlux HD661 EVO, the bass and treble etc is awesome) 
I really like the SHiPs for hard rock music and comfort.
And again would prefer the Evo's and also my Senn's HD598 for gaming.

Thanks for posting your opinion!

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #925 of 2,061
I have both the SHP9500 and the T50RP MK3.  Interestingly when it comes to the low-end response I have the exact opposite impression.  

FWIW if I could only have one headphone and had to pick between the two, I would keep the SHP.  It's a better all-arounder, much more comfortable, and easier to drive.  If I was able to keep the rest of my other headphones but had to get rid of one of the SHP and the MK3, I would keep the MK3.  I have other phones that are better at most of the SHP does well, and the MK3 has different strengths than a lot of my other phones.

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #927 of 2,061
I'm a novice when it comes to EQ'ing...

I was just wondering if anyone had an ideal EQ settings for the SHP9500?
As I find the treble quite tiresome on my ears, especially when playing games such as CS:GO.

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #928 of 2,061
  I'm a novice when it comes to EQ'ing...

I was just wondering if anyone had an ideal EQ settings for the SHP9500?
As I find the treble quite tiresome on my ears, especially when playing games such as CS:GO.

From my experience I would recommend using a few layers of toilet paper under the earpeads to reduce treble, but you´ll have to find the sweet spot so you don´t loose too much clarity.
If you want to EQ, then bring up 2-3kHz a few dB, it will help the vocals which won´t sound like your listening in the can anymore :D

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #929 of 2,061
  From my experience I would recommend using a few layers of toilet paper under the earpeads to reduce treble, but you´ll have to find the sweet spot so you don´t loose too much clarity.
If you want to EQ, then bring up 2-3kHz a few dB, it will help the vocals which won´t sound like your listening in the can anymore :D

I just used the center cloth from its stock pads under the new pads I installed. Worked wonders.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #930 of 2,061
I've used a thin layer of felt in front of the driver to tame the treble peak as cited here: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-philips/.    Works like a champ!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back