Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Mar 28, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #736 of 2,061
Been listening to these throughout the weekend, A/B-ing with different cans and just overall enjoying them. These have no business costing as little as they do these days. They're just such a joy to listen to. Simple little Topping NX1 in high, MSR7 cable, and some high quality vinyl rips. Good god, these things are so natural and realistic. Like an MSR7 had a baby with an AD_00X. The highs aren't perfect, but I almost don't notice with how good the overall package sounds.

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #737 of 2,061
  Been listening to these throughout the weekend, A/B-ing with different cans and just overall enjoying them. These have no business costing as little as they do these days. They're just such a joy to listen to. Simple little Topping NX1 in high, MSR7 cable, and some high quality vinyl rips. Good god, these things are so natural and realistic. Like an MSR7 had a baby with an AD_00X. The highs aren't perfect, but I almost don't notice with how good the overall package sounds.

Yeah, just sold my X2 and K7XX in favour of this.

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #738 of 2,061

Yeah, just sold my X2 and K7XX in favour of this.

Hope you don't mind, but I'm sharing this quote on the headphone gaming thread.

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #739 of 2,061

I would have gone this way completely if not for a couple of things:
-- my ears don't touch the driver elements so increasing the earcup height wasn't an issue for me
-- the biggest problem for me was the treble brightness which is tamed quite well by the 2mm felt alone plus bass seemed to also be improved
-- the lack of easy availability and cost of the 4mm thickness EPDM butyl was a show stopper for its use

The rubber is mainly to improve the bass, 4mm EPDM butyl was what Magick used as he had some handy - he said the denser the better and preferably a bit thicker if available; I used 4.5mm nitrile rubber from ebay which met both those requirements, enough for 4 sets of cans for $10 + postage.

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #743 of 2,061

cool!!i will order them tonight.

Haven't used them for gaming yet, just for music and videos. They aren't as spacious as the AD series from Audio Technica, but they have a very nice image so I think they'd be a good call. I've heard a lot of people recommend them as a gaming set and with the detachable cable, the boom mic @AxelCloris mentioned would make fine addition.

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #744 of 2,061

Haven't used them for gaming yet, just for music and videos. They aren't as spacious as the AD series from Audio Technica, but they have a very nice image so I think they'd be a good call. I've heard a lot of people recommend them as a gaming set and with the detachable cable, the boom mic @AxelCloris mentioned would make fine addition.

i think they would be good for gaming,the X2 and K7XX have good scores in the MLG gaming thread,so this guy said  marts30 he sold the X2 and K7XX in favour of the SHP 9500.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #745 of 2,061
  Hey guys,

Just a heads up that you can easily remove the L & R white painted logos on each ear cup with a black sharpie marker. I did two coats over each grill and the white paint is no longer visible. It makes the headphones look much nicer, in my opinion!

I did this but kinda regret it, the sharpie smell is quite strong. Does it fade?

-edit- nevermind, nailpolish remover got it all off

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #746 of 2,061

I did this but kinda regret it, the sharpie smell is quite strong. Does it fade?

Glad you were able to recover here.  Sometimes mods that others tout don't work our as well for us.  I find the L and R labels to reflect positively on these can's personality
wink.gif

On another note my Mediabridge 4' 3.5mm M-M cable arrived today.  It was one of several shorter cables recommended in this thread.  Well built and the length is just right for use with a DAP.  

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #747 of 2,061

marts30,

I did find there to be a lingering scent of sharpie marker within the first week after applying two coats over the L and R painted logos, but have not smelled anything on the headphones themselves since this application period. I can easily see the storage of the headphones in a small space (closed drawer, container) causing a build-up of an odor, although I normally keep the headphones out in the open on a desk, and found the smell faded quickly.

Perhaps there is another way to coat the mesh grill if you wish to eliminate the white painted logos; flat black stove paint comes to mind.

I am glad to hear you were able to remove the sharpie. I agree that the smell of a sharpie marker would detract from my listening experience 
rolleyes.gif

Take care-

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #748 of 2,061
I picked these up during the newegg sale for $59.99 because they are so well regarded and inexpensive. This is my second pair of headphones next to my closed DT770 80ohms. I've never tried an open back headphone. Immediately I could tell the sound stage was bigger, wider. They are so much more comfortable than they look too. I tested out some 3D binaural youtube videos and WOW. sometimes I would turn my head because I thought someone was speaking to me (it sounded so real!) only to turn my head and get a weird look from my dog. I find myself gravitating to these for natural sounding music like orchestral and acoustics, but I still prefer my Beyers for dem wubs. I do however prefer the philips while gaming as I think the positional audio is ON POINT. I played some CS:GO and I was able to pre-fire corners and #rekt some people carelessly running around.

So, in summary here's how the Philips sit in my (limited) line-up:

Philips SHP9500 - Gaming, orchestral/acoustic music, live recordings, & when isolation doesn't matter (in or out)
Beyer DT770 80ohm - All other forms of music enjoyment, & when isolation matters (in and out)

P.S. I just took the plunge on TH-X00 purplehearts so we'll see how they fit into this line-up in 6 months xD

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #749 of 2,061
  I picked these up during the newegg sale for $59.99 because they are so well regarded and inexpensive. This is my second pair of headphones next to my closed DT770 80ohms. I've never tried an open back headphone. Immediately I could tell the sound stage was bigger, wider. They are so much more comfortable than they look too. I tested out some 3D binaural youtube videos and WOW. sometimes I would turn my head because I thought someone was speaking to me (it sounded so real!) only to turn my head and get a weird look from my dog. I find myself gravitating to these for natural sounding music like orchestral and acoustics, but I still prefer my Beyers for dem wubs. I do however prefer the philips while gaming as I think the positional audio is ON POINT. I played some CS:GO and I was able to pre-fire corners and #rekt some people carelessly running around.

So, in summary here's how the Philips sit in my (limited) line-up:

Philips SHP9500 - Gaming, orchestral/acoustic music, live recordings, & when isolation doesn't matter (in or out)
Beyer DT770 80ohm - All other forms of music enjoyment, & when isolation matters (in and out)

P.S. I just took the plunge on TH-X00 purplehearts so we'll see how they fit into this line-up in 6 months xD

Have you paired them with an amp? That really helps the low end. I tend to find the 9500 more than satisfactory across the board for most music genres. I even rock out EDM with them. I tend to favor accuracy and decay in the low end rather than boom, so maybe that's just me.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #750 of 2,061
Yes, they are amped with a Polaris from a Modi2U dac. I was actually really impressed with the bass of the shp9500s relative to the Beyers but I just subjectively prefer them. And I'm very used to them. Although that could very well change as I burn them in and get used to them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back