Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Feb 19, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #1,922 of 2,061

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #1,923 of 2,061
I find the bass of the SHP9500 quite reasonable. The treble is just overly accentuated. These are bright headphones. Warm amps tend to do good things for them though.

what bass? they have no such thing. :)

Feb 20, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #1,924 of 2,061
Mar 2, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #1,925 of 2,061
@Mikis76, you're correct, those would be the ones I'm talking about. They feel just like the pads on the DT1990 Pro, and if you're okay with those, then you'll be okay with the Shure 1840 pads. One additional step I took was to buy some SHP9500 adapter pads from modhouseaudio.com. That helped to switch out pads easily and keep the original pads intact. Hope the Shures work out for you.

These are superb! Just what I was looking for. Thank You again for the tip :beerchug:

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #1,927 of 2,061
Did you buy the adaptor rings or just stretch the pads over the ear cups?

Hello Gargani....It seems that I´m a "stretcher"....it took few minutes to get them on but was quite easy after you get it going. So no adapters in this case.

May 9, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #1,930 of 2,061
I recently bought some SHP9500s and I really like them a lot. Not just for their sound but because the light clamping forces combined with a good fit just makes me forget I even have headphones on. I pulled the cups out of the band as far as they will go, then wrapped a layer of electrical tape around the metal piece, then closed them back to the adjustment I prefer (4) and this keeps them at that setting, because the only flaw I had with these headphones was that the cups would keep pulling out of the band and I had to constantly re-adjust. Solved now.

However, I have been considering changing the pads on them. I kind of like the material the pads are made out of, but they feel rather hot after long periods of use. I was wondering if velour pads would feel any better and if it's really worth it to go that route. I would like to preserve the originals just in case. I guess I should get some ring adapters so I can preserve them.

May 9, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #1,931 of 2,061
I recently bought some SHP9500s and I really like them a lot. Not just for their sound but because the light clamping forces combined with a good fit just makes me forget I even have headphones on. I pulled the cups out of the band as far as they will go, then wrapped a layer of electrical tape around the metal piece, then closed them back to the adjustment I prefer (4) and this keeps them at that setting, because the only flaw I had with these headphones was that the cups would keep pulling out of the band and I had to constantly re-adjust. Solved now.

However, I have been considering changing the pads on them. I kind of like the material the pads are made out of, but they feel rather hot after long periods of use. I was wondering if velour pads would feel any better and if it's really worth it to go that route. I would like to preserve the originals just in case. I guess I should get some ring adapters so I can preserve them.
replacement pads will just go around the outer edge of the headphones, no need for adapters
IMG_20190118_222203_169.jpg

May 10, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,933 of 2,061
Will an adapter ring replace the original ring? Or do you still have to destroy your stock pads?
I don't want to sound rude, but are you not actually reading this thread? You don't need adapter rings, you don't need to destroy the original pads...you pop off the old pads, you wrap the new pads around the outer edge of the headphones...look at the picture I posted. Those are generic 'HM5' style pads, you just stretch them over the outer edge of the headphones.

May 10, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #1,935 of 2,061
if you can just pop off the old pads with the plastic that comes with them and stretch HM5s over, then i'll order a set of velour pads and give it a try

Hi friend, that’s exactly what you do. It’s easy like Sunday morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back