Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
May 10, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #1,936 of 2,061
no, i didnt read all 128 pages.. if you can just pop off the old pads with the plastic that comes with them and stretch HM5s over, then i'll order a set of velour pads and give it a try
1) it's not that hard to read the thread, we all know you have the time.
2) Even if reading the whole thread is beyond your capabilities, just read back literally 10 posts and you have all the answers you need...how lazy are you? Should we come by your house and swap the pads for you also? Jesus dude, get it together.

May 10, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #1,937 of 2,061
Hi friend, that’s exactly what you do. It’s easy like Sunday morning.
sometimes you're too nice bro, this guy can't even be bothered to read back 5 posts...seriously, the conversation RIGHT before he popped up covered exactly this....you can only do so much hand holding, if someone seriously can't be bothered to go back ONE page...?

May 10, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #1,939 of 2,061
Hi guys!

So, I want to change pads on my SHP9500. Do I need to buy adapter rings from ModHouse Audio? Or do I have to destroy my old pads? Thanks!

(Bad joke, I know, just couldn't resist :p )

So, has any of you fine gentlemen tried the HM5 suede pads on these headphones? I saw that Brainwavz came out with a suede pad and the first headphones I thought of were the SHP. They aren't as breathable as velour, but not as "opaque" to sound as the leather ones, so I guess they would be a pretty good middle ground.

May 10, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #1,940 of 2,061
Hi guys!

So, I want to change pads on my SHP9500. Do I need to buy adapter rings from ModHouse Audio? Or do I have to destroy my old pads? Thanks!

(Bad joke, I know, just couldn't resist :p )

So, has any of you fine gentlemen tried the HM5 suede pads on these headphones? I saw that Brainwavz came out with a suede pad and the first headphones I thought of were the SHP. They aren't as breathable as velour, but not as "opaque" to sound as the leather ones, so I guess they would be a pretty good middle ground.
Yeah, you need to set the old pads on fire first, then once they are nice and smoldering you just stomp them off the headphones with steel toed boots, it's super simple.
I haven't tried the brainwavz suede pads, but I did get a chance to try the Dekoni Elite velour and they were my favorite pads on the 9500s. (The material is more like micro suede than velour)

May 10, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,941 of 2,061
Yeah, you need to set the old pads on fire first, then once they are nice and smoldering you just stomp them off the headphones with steel toed boots, it's super simple.
I haven't tried the brainwavz suede pads, but I did get a chance to try the Dekoni Elite velour and they were my favorite pads on the 9500s. (The material is more like micro suede than velour)
Hahahaha gotta love that sorcery it takes to change pads!

Hmmm... Still, I'd be curious to try the HM5 suedes on something, and the SHP9500 seemed like the perfect candidate. Too bad I don't have a pair. I might as well get one down the line for poops and giggles, even though I do have better stuff now. I can't see how the SHPs might compete with my 58x

May 10, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,942 of 2,061
1) it's not that hard to read the thread, we all know you have the time.
2) Even if reading the whole thread is beyond your capabilities, just read back literally 10 posts and you have all the answers you need...how lazy are you? Should we come by your house and swap the pads for you also? Jesus dude, get it together.

If you've been reading and posting 128 pages on one set of headphones alone, then it is not me with a bit too much free time, now is it? So if you're going to say something snarky, tongue in cheek, say it out loud. No, I am not going to read 128 pages dating back over years.

May 10, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #1,943 of 2,061

Hmmm... Still, I'd be curious to try the HM5 suedes on something, and the SHP9500 seemed like the perfect candidate. Too bad I don't have a pair. I might as well get one down the line for ****s and giggles, even though I do have better stuff now. I can't see how the SHPs might compete with my 58x

To be fair, you probably already own something HM5s will fit on, they seem to fit nearly anything.

May 10, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #1,944 of 2,061
If you've been reading and posting 128 pages on one set of headphones alone, then it is not me with a bit too much free time, now is it? So if you're going to say something snarky, tongue in cheek, say it out loud. No, I am not going to read 128 pages dating back over years.
I'd rather be snarky than lazy. Laziness is not a good trait to have. You didn't have to read all 128 pages, you could have done a TINY bit of investigation and seen the answers had already been provided.
" You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know..."
I guess my point is that you're out of your element Donny....anyway, enjoy your SHPs let us know if you have any other questions that have already been covered ad nauseam. :wink:

May 10, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #1,945 of 2,061

Hmmm... Still, I'd be curious to try the HM5 suedes on something, and the SHP9500 seemed like the perfect candidate. Too bad I don't have a pair. I might as well get one down the line for ****s and giggles, even though I do have better stuff now. I can't see how the SHPs might compete with my 58x
The 9500s are definitely worth checking out...I haven't heard the 58X yet, but I would be willing to bet they can compete with them pretty well (I'm basing this entirely on reading lots of other peoples thoughts and impressions, of course)
I heard people describe the 9500s as being like a comfortable Grado, which I didn't understand until I got a Grado. It is a pretty apt description. The only reason I sold my 9500s to a friend was that I got a set of Grado 325e, and I preferred the Grados, a little bit. They had a very similar sound overall...the 325e is definitely better (as it should be for 3 times the price) but the 9500s is more comfortable and honestly, has better build quality.
My point is, the 9500s would be a side-grade to the 58X, and you can get them and a set of the Brainwavz pads for around $100.

May 10, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,946 of 2,061
To be fair, you probably already own something HM5s will fit on, they seem to fit nearly anything.
The only thing I own that HM5 pads fit on are my MSR7, and those don't react very well to pads that aren't made of leather. I might get a pair just for fun, but I don't expect the match to be good, unfortunately.
The 9500s are definitely worth checking out...I haven't heard the 58X yet, but I would be willing to bet they can compete with them pretty well (I'm basing this entirely on reading lots of other peoples thoughts and impressions, of course)
I heard people describe the 9500s as being like a comfortable Grado, which I didn't understand until I got a Grado. It is a pretty apt description. The only reason I sold my 9500s to a friend was that I got a set of Grado 325e, and I preferred the Grados, a little bit. They had a very similar sound overall...the 325e is definitely better (as it should be for 3 times the price) but the 9500s is more comfortable and honestly, has better build quality.
My point is, the 9500s would be a side-grade to the 58X, and you can get them and a set of the Brainwavz pads for around $100.
Well, what I meant by "can't compete" is that they're not going to be better, especially for my tastes. I prefer warmer/richer sounding headphones, and the SHP9500 aren't that. Still, they'd be nice to have as a cheap alternative that I could mess with. Maybe I could mod them into something completely different too, the driver itself is quite capable for the price. But yeah, my thoughts are similar to yours, for the price you can't go wrong. Even if I get them and can't make them sound how I want, I could as well gift them, I won't be crying over 100$.

May 10, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #1,947 of 2,061
I ordered a set of velours to see how they work with the SHP9500s. I want to see if they'll make them sound more "open" I doubt there's much that can be done to improve bass response though. I'll find out soon enough though. Really, I don't think the SHP9500s have completely sold me on open backs which makes the decision of my next headphones ($200 budget) a bit harder. The Status Audio CB-1s in my opinion sound better all around in stock form.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,948 of 2,061
@jason41987

Contrary to popular belief, leather/pleather pads don't only increase bass. In my experience, I've seen them more frequently increasing treble substantially. If a headphone was designed with a velour/cloth pad in mind, leather pads will probably alter the sound A LOT. And it's not like the SHP9500 is the kind of headphone whose treble needs boosting.

Velours will probably fare better. I'd have preferred the suedes as a middle ground, but that's just from how I guess the headphones would sound with them. Or you could try hybrid pads if you want another inbetween solution.

With all that said, Luke is far from an idiot. I've seen him a lot around these forums, and he's usually very helpful and has a lot of insight. I'd listen to what he has to say and don't dismiss him because I don't like what he said. A quick search would've given you the answers you need. You don't have to read through all the countless posts in here, just search the thread and you'll find what you want 95% of the time. You have to understand that seeing the same questions pop up again and again and again and again because people can't be arsed to click on the search box and find the answer that's already there is infuriating.

Finally, the assumption that open back = wide soundstage is just plain wrong. It's more often that you encounter open headphones with wide soundstage, but that's about it. There's closed headphones with massive soundstage (Argons) and open headphones that are really narrow (HD600). It's a matter of design and frequency response. As I said in another thread, the generalized open vs closed back comparison is almost always invalid, unless you're talking about open and closed variants of the otherwise same headphone. Compare specific headphones, disregard the design principle if you don't have a reason to go with one over the other (eg closed backs for portability). The SHP9500 are not a wide headphone, sadly.

PS : Quick sidenote, and part of the answer that Luke got mad because you didn't search about it, is that you don't need the adapter rings. The pads can be stretched over the cups with a bit of effort. Using these rings with aftermarket pads deteriorates the sound.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #1,949 of 2,061
and i may try velour or hybrid, but velours often said to decrease bass and boost treble even further which seems like its the complete opposite of what the SHP9500 needs.. a little boost to bass without it sounding muddy or excessive, or losing clarity with vocals would be ideal

Last edited by a moderator:
May 11, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,950 of 2,061
@jason41987

Contrary to popular belief, leather/pleather pads don't only increase bass. In my experience, I've seen them more frequently increasing treble substantially. If a headphone was designed with a velour/cloth pad in mind, leather pads will probably alter the sound A LOT. And it's not like the SHP9500 is the kind of headphone whose treble needs boosting.

Velours will probably fare better. I'd have preferred the suedes as a middle ground, but that's just from how I guess the headphones would sound with them. Or you could try hybrid pads if you want another inbetween solution.

With all that said, Luke is far from an idiot. I've seen him a lot around these forums, and he's usually very helpful and has a lot of insight. I'd listen to what he has to say and don't dismiss him because I don't like what he said. A quick search would've given you the answers you need. You don't have to read through all the countless posts in here, just search the thread and you'll find what you want 95% of the time. You have to understand that seeing the same questions pop up again and again and again and again because people can't be arsed to click on the search box and find the answer that's already there is infuriating.

Finally, the assumption that open back = wide soundstage is just plain wrong. It's more often that you encounter open headphones with wide soundstage, but that's about it. There's closed headphones with massive soundstage (Argons) and open headphones that are really narrow (HD600). It's a matter of design and frequency response. As I said in another thread, the generalized open vs closed back comparison is almost always invalid, unless you're talking about open and closed variants of the otherwise same headphone. Compare specific headphones, disregard the design principle if you don't have a reason to go with one over the other (eg closed backs for portability). The SHP9500 are not a wide headphone, sadly.

PS : Quick sidenote, and part of the answer that Luke got mad because you didn't search about it, is that you don't need the adapter rings. The pads can be stretched over the cups with a bit of effort. Using these rings with aftermarket pads deteriorates the sound.
I have OFTEN recommended a hybrid pad as the best choice for the 9500s. Hybrids seem to strike the best balance between bringing out the bass, while still retaining the openness and clarity offered by the stock pads. In fact, I specifically recommend the hybrid pads with fenestrated pleather sides, like these generic ones found on Aliexpress
IMG_20190118_222203_169.jpg
they cost less than the HM5 hybrids and comparing the two side by side they seem to retain more of the original sound, while enhancing the bass. I also recommend the leather comfort strap, it's more comfortable and it helps you get a better seal. The 9500s benefit from better seal, one of the problems with the stock pads is the seal is inadequate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back