Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Sep 12, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,876 of 2,061
Just got my shp's, they sound good. The imaging was nice, I like the open sound as I usually run closed back. Bass was adequate.
I had no stock cable so bought this and thought it was a bargain, very well made. https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Housing-Theater-Devices-Amplifiers/dp/B00Y2LANNW/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1536760364&sr=8-19&keywords=ugreen+3.5&th=1

welcome my brother. True sound is finally yours. I haven't used stock pads in forever but they are super super comfy. I need to try them again

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,877 of 2,061
Sep 12, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #1,878 of 2,061
I use ugreen cables on some headphones. No complaints.

Welcome to the 9500 club!

Cheers!

I am really surprised they discontinued this model, maybe the will release a successor.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #1,879 of 2,061
Cheers!

I am really surprised they discontinued this model, maybe the will release a successor.

Who knows.

The whole Philips headphone division is a big unknown. It’s changed hands numerous times, sold off, carved up, bankrupted, bought again, blah blah.

It’s too bad. I have a lot of Philips headphones. They make a lot of good stuff. I hope they come back from the brink and get back on top of their game.

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #1,881 of 2,061
Just got my shp's, they sound good. The imaging was nice, I like the open sound as I usually run closed back. Bass was adequate.
I had no stock cable so bought this and thought it was a bargain, very well made. https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Housing-Theater-Devices-Amplifiers/dp/B00Y2LANNW/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1536760364&sr=8-19&keywords=ugreen+3.5&th=1

I use this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQWTN3I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it's made by whatever OEM makes those NewFantasia cables, it;s well built, and gorgeous, the TRS plug is very reminiscent of my Sony MDR-V6's.
your cable is also really nice, I have Ugreen TRS to RCA cables, and they're excellent!

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,882 of 2,061
I just recieved a pair of used SHP9500's, and in contrast to many other reviewers, I found them to be too dark, bassy and a bit...anonymous. So I removed the foam in front of the driver, and mounted circles of cardboard inside/behind the earpads, in the belief that the increased distance between the driver and my ears would make the bass leaner. I much prefer their new sound signature, which I find to be more revealing, much brighter and with a bit more "character/personality".

20181108_165900.jpg

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,883 of 2,061
I just recieved a pair of used SHP9500's, and in contrast to many other reviewers, I found them to be too dark, bassy and a bit...anonymous. So I removed the foam in front of the driver, and mounted circles of cardboard inside/behind the earpads, in the belief that the increased distance between the driver and my ears would make the bass leaner. I much prefer their new sound signature, which I find to be more revealing, much brighter and with a bit more "character/personality".

Nice one :)

Foam discs get removed right away in just about every headphone I own. I’ve honestly never really had foam discs do anything other than veil the sound.

Sure, foam discs can cut down on really bright, piercing, or sibilant treble, but I prefer my gear pretty bright anyways.

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,884 of 2,061
Nice one :)

Foam discs get removed right away in just about every headphone I own. I’ve honestly never really had foam discs do anything other than veil the sound.

Sure, foam discs can cut down on really bright, piercing, or sibilant treble, but I prefer my gear pretty bright anyways.

Thank you! I know it doesn't look pretty, but hey, if it works... :)

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #1,885 of 2,061
Thank you! I know it doesn't look pretty, but hey, if it works... :)

I’m with you - form over function.

If you need even more depth, you can try one of the many 3rd party HM5 pads.

Another trick (along the same line as your cardboard mod) is to stuff a rolled up paper towel or Kleenex in the pad. You can also use a section of cable (coax for example). My favorite method is foam backing rod for caulking. It’s available in many sizes, holds its shape, is lightweight, and is dirt cheap.

Many ways to skin a cat :)

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #1,886 of 2,061
I’m with you - form over function.

If you need even more depth, you can try one of the many 3rd party HM5 pads.

Another trick (along the same line as your cardboard mod) is to stuff a rolled up paper towel or Kleenex in the pad. You can also use a section of cable (coax for example). My favorite method is foam backing rod for caulking. It’s available in many sizes, holds its shape, is lightweight, and is dirt cheap.

Many ways to skin a cat :)

Now that you mention it, I have ordered both real HM5 pads, and some from eBay which I believe to be clones - I am not sure about the quality of them, but they didn't cost me too much. I'll try out the cable-mod - I have some electric wire that might be suitable :)

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,887 of 2,061
Nov 8, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #1,888 of 2,061
Somehow - I'm not quite sure how - I managed to stretch a pair of T90-pads onto the cups of the "ships" - they are barely holding on.

Removing the original pads was a bit more difficult than I had thought it to be - but slow and steady wins the race.

After mounting the T90 pads, the sound had darkened once again, to my disappointment. So, I grabbed the pieces of electrical wire I used with the original pads, and gently shoved them behind the T90 pads - and now, I suddenly had what I'd call more natural or neutral sound, albeit still with a punchy bass, and a fantastic sense of space, due to (I think) the widened pads. Also, I gained i bit more clamping force, again due to the widened pads.

20181109_013503.jpg

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #1,889 of 2,061
Nov 9, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,890 of 2,061
I use backer rod as well. I have tried several of the other methods mentioned, and a few of my own : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-your-full-sized-headphone-mods-to-us.867426/
backer rods works the best.

Heck yeah!

You get giant bag for a cheap price, and there’s many different diameters.

Perhaps the biggest plus is that it adds no weight. I liked the coax I did one of my cans, but it definitely added a noticeable amount of weight and I wasn’t a fan. That’s when I permanently switched to backer rod.

I mean, sure paper towel or Kleenex don’t add weight either, but I didn’t really like either compared to the backer rod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back