Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Apr 28, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #1,684 of 2,061
Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #1,685 of 2,061
Just ordered a pair from Aliexpress, 6,3mm adapter is included so they seem to be original versions.

I quickly checked Ebay and Amazon and most of them were S-versions so i dont know where they get those from. But if they look genuine to you im convinced enough to buy them. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #1,686 of 2,061
Hello guys! I'm waiting for my SHP9500s to arrive, so meanwhile I thought I'd say hi and ask a couple of things that I can find no definitive answer for. There's a lot of junk on the web, most of it being contradictory statements, so I thought I'd ask in the right place.

First off, from what I've gathered is that these are a bit light on the bass, but not much so and take EQ well. This seems to be the consensus among owners, so I guess it's correct.

Now come the questions I can't find a proper answer for :
1) What are the differences between the S and non S versions? I mean, apart from the cable, that I don't care about, and the lack of a 1/4" adapter. I've seen people online claiming they are otherwise identical, others saying the S version has better bass and others saying that the S has worse bass and more sibilant highs. Where does the truth lie?
2) What is the effect of HM5 pads on these? I'm going to get an adapter ring from ModHouseAudio just for the fun of it, and I have a pair of flat HM5 pleathers lying around not being used since I upgraded to sheepskins. I've seen people say it improves the sound by adding more bass (and soundstage? not sure on that one), but others saying that while they increase the bass they make the headphones sound hollow and distant. In any case, if HM5 pads don't work, what pads would work? Although I'd really like to use the already owned HM5s because, well, I wouldn't have to buy more things. Also, flat vs angled pads? I see a lot of people use Alpha pads from MrSpeakers, but I can't really see how that would work with the driver being angled and all.
3) Do they improve with burn in? I used to not believe in burning headphones in, until I got my AT MSR7 last year. They were fatiguing to listen to for a long time, but after burning in the highs calmed the hell down and they became the detailed cans I wanted without punishing me for using them.

Thanks a lot in advance! Hope these little guys live up to the hype, especially seeing as I was going to buy a pair of Fostex T60rp before my financials went straight to hell. :p

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,687 of 2,061
Hello guys! I'm waiting for my SHP9500s to arrive, so meanwhile I thought I'd say hi and ask a couple of things that I can find no definitive answer for. There's a lot of junk on the web, most of it being contradictory statements, so I thought I'd ask in the right place.

First off, from what I've gathered is that these are a bit light on the bass, but not much so and take EQ well. This seems to be the consensus among owners, so I guess it's correct.

Now come the questions I can't find a proper answer for :
1) What are the differences between the S and non S versions? I mean, apart from the cable, that I don't care about, and the lack of a 1/4" adapter. I've seen people online claiming they are otherwise identical, others saying the S version has better bass and others saying that the S has worse bass and more sibilant highs. Where does the truth lie?
2) What is the effect of HM5 pads on these? I'm going to get an adapter ring from ModHouseAudio just for the fun of it, and I have a pair of flat HM5 pleathers lying around not being used since I upgraded to sheepskins. I've seen people say it improves the sound by adding more bass (and soundstage? not sure on that one), but others saying that while they increase the bass they make the headphones sound hollow and distant. In any case, if HM5 pads don't work, what pads would work? Although I'd really like to use the already owned HM5s because, well, I wouldn't have to buy more things. Also, flat vs angled pads? I see a lot of people use Alpha pads from MrSpeakers, but I can't really see how that would work with the driver being angled and all.
3) Do they improve with burn in? I used to not believe in burning headphones in, until I got my AT MSR7 last year. They were fatiguing to listen to for a long time, but after burning in the highs calmed the hell down and they became the detailed cans I wanted without punishing me for using them.

Thanks a lot in advance! Hope these little guys live up to the hype, especially seeing as I was going to buy a pair of Fostex T60rp before my financials went straight to hell. :p

light on bass? lolol no they are not. you need a proper amp. my Lyr 3 combined with hm5 leather non-angled pads (wrap it around entire can, don't buy the 3d printed adapter, it makes your ear sit further from driver), SLAMS in the bass. even without a nice Lyr 3 amp though, they will still have really good bass with just the pad change and a decent amp.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,688 of 2,061
light on bass? lolol no they are not. you need a proper amp. my Lyr 3 combined with hm5 leather non-angled pads (wrap it around entire can, don't buy the 3d printed adapter, it makes your ear sit further from driver), SLAMS in the bass. even without a nice Lyr 3 amp though, they will still have really good bass with just the pad change and a decent amp.
Wow, this was fast! :p

I meant they're light on the bass in their stock form. I know that the driver can produce a lot of bass, but I guess having sponges for pads doesn't help it.

How would I wrap the whole pad around the can without a) ripping the pad and b) having the plastic tabs stab my ear? The adapter thingy seems like a more elegant solution.

Amp-wise, I have a Fiio Q1 (original one). It's not the best, but it does the job admirably well. I'm not upgrading that yet because I will be mobile during the summer, so there's no use buying a desktop setup and the only portable thing I'd be looking at right now would be the Q5, which I don't have the money for. Come September I'll upgrade to something else, but until then the Q1 will do. It's not like the ships need a lot of power too.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #1,689 of 2,061
Wow, this was fast! :p

I meant they're light on the bass in their stock form. I know that the driver can produce a lot of bass, but I guess having sponges for pads doesn't help it.

How would I wrap the whole pad around the can without a) ripping the pad and b) having the plastic tabs stab my ear? The adapter thingy seems like a more elegant solution.

Amp-wise, I have a Fiio Q1 (original one). It's not the best, but it does the job admirably well. I'm not upgrading that yet because I will be mobile during the summer, so there's no use buying a desktop setup and the only portable thing I'd be looking at right now would be the Q5, which I don't have the money for. Come September I'll upgrade to something else, but until then the Q1 will do. It's not like the ships need a lot of power too.

the adapter is annoying as crap. I own the adapter. its hard to get it fitted in the little slots actually, and it ruins the sound imo.

the HM5 earpad is a massive earpad. you just stretch it around the entire can and it clips over everything!

bbe187cd37.png

d7cff9728e.png

2274e51971.png

7d6b053d17.png

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,690 of 2,061
the adapter is annoying as crap. I own the adapter. its hard to get it fitted in the little slots actually, and it ruins the sound imo.

the HM5 earpad is a massive earpad. you just stretch it around the entire can and it clips over everything!

bbe187cd37.png

d7cff9728e.png

2274e51971.png

7d6b053d17.png

Hmmm... I see...

Well, for a while that how I was using the HM5s with my MSR7. Before I modded them, the HM5s killed the sound. I mean, bass disappeared completely and the highs became sibilant as all hell. Putting the pads over the whole thing made the thing a little more bearable, I guess either by moving the driver closer to the ear or by sealing the baffle. Doesn't matter, I just didn't think that they would fit over the huge 9500s, even though mine are a bit slutty (as Zeos would call them).

At any rate, thanks a lot for your input mate! Much appreciated!

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #1,691 of 2,061
Hmmm... I see...

Well, for a while that how I was using the HM5s with my MSR7. Before I modded them, the HM5s killed the sound. I mean, bass disappeared completely and the highs became sibilant as all hell. Putting the pads over the whole thing made the thing a little more bearable, I guess either by moving the driver closer to the ear or by sealing the baffle. Doesn't matter, I just didn't think that they would fit over the huge 9500s, even though mine are a bit slutty (as Zeos would call them).

they fit fine. perfect actually.

every headphone is different. i own ten earpads. lambskin, shure 1540 alcantaras, you name it. i tried all of them on my 9500S, and the hM5 leather sounds the best, just like some of my other cans certain pads sound better than others.

HM5 Leather + 9500S + Fiio K1 amp/dac ($40) (if you are on a budget) is the best budget tri-combo ever in the existence of humanity. I bought that tri-combo for my sister who loves music and it transformed her world. buying it for future gf's etc as well in the future.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #1,692 of 2,061
they fit fine. perfect actually.

every headphone is different. i own ten earpads. lambskin, shure 1540 alcantaras, you name it. i tried all of them on my 9500S, and the hM5 leather sounds the best, just like some of my other cans certain pads sound better than others.

HM5 Leather + 9500S + Fiio K1 amp/dac ($40) (if you are on a budget) is the best budget tri-combo ever in the existence of humanity. I bought that tri-combo for my sister who loves music and it transformed her world. buying it for future gf's etc as well in the future.
Hahahahaha, came looking for input on headphones, ended up getting relationship advice. Can't complain. :beyersmile: :beerchug:

Well, the Q1 is supposed to be better than the K1, so I think I'm good to go until I can upgrade that little guy. Although I have to say, it's impressed me on many occasions. Even used it as a pre-amp on my father's Prima Luna DiaLogue + Vienna Acoustics Grand Beethoven for fun and it sounded actually not bad! Little thing's got it!

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,693 of 2,061
In stock form, the shp9500 is an objectively very good headphone for it’s price. Fairly neutral, fairly wide soundstage. Negatives, unrefined and somewhat hazy upper mid/low treble, and the bass is not particularly impactful, tight or deep.

They can be modded in many different ways using different pads and damping materials. Personally I use angled sheepskin hm5 and some thin napkin paper to tame the treble a bit. Result is way slammier bass (still not very tight or deep, but can’t expect too much at this price), more well behaved low treble, super wide and deep soundstage although very unnatural/not realistic in dimensions. Objectively it may be a worse headphone this way, but subjectively a whole lot more fun.
Also tried non-angled velour hm5 pads and those were closer to the stock sound, but still better than stock imo.
There are many good tutorials on various threads on how to change pads. One method allows you to keep the stock pads intact, another one says you have to rip off the old pads. Your call.

Burn in, I’m not fully a believer but haven’t tried any extensive a/b-testing on new vs old pairs of any headphones. But all the way from shp9500 to Focal clear and everything in between that I’ve owned, can’t say I’ve experienced it much.

Driveability, something like Lyr3 which was recommended here is super overkill for the shp9500. Not that it won’t sound good on a lyr3, but you shouldn’t spend that much on an amp if it’s only gonna drive the shp. I’m very looking forward to hearing the lyr3 myself, but for driving shp only such a quality amp is a waste of money. You’ll get a bigger improvement by upgrading headphones at that point.
The shp is super easy to drive, your amp should be plenty.

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #1,694 of 2,061
In stock form, the shp9500 is an objectively very good headphone for it’s price. Fairly neutral, fairly wide soundstage. Negatives, unrefined and somewhat hazy upper mid/low treble, and the bass is not particularly impactful, tight or deep.

They can be modded in many different ways using different pads and damping materials. Personally I use angled sheepskin hm5 and some thin napkin paper to tame the treble a bit. Result is way slammier bass (still not very tight or deep, but can’t expect too much at this price), more well behaved low treble, super wide and deep soundstage although very unnatural/not realistic in dimensions. Objectively it may be a worse headphone this way, but subjectively a whole lot more fun.
Also tried non-angled velour hm5 pads and those were closer to the stock sound, but still better than stock imo.
There are many good tutorials on various threads on how to change pads. One method allows you to keep the stock pads intact, another one says you have to rip off the old pads. Your call.

Burn in, I’m not fully a believer but haven’t tried any extensive a/b-testing on new vs old pairs of any headphones. But all the way from shp9500 to Focal clear and everything in between that I’ve owned, can’t say I’ve experienced it much.

Driveability, something like Lyr3 which was recommended here is super overkill for the shp9500. Not that it won’t sound good on a lyr3, but you shouldn’t spend that much on an amp if it’s only gonna drive the shp. I’m very looking forward to hearing the lyr3 myself, but for driving shp only such a quality amp is a waste of money. You’ll get a bigger improvement by upgrading headphones at that point.
The shp is super easy to drive, your amp should be plenty.
Well that was detailed. Thanks a lot!

I get what you're saying about the fun vs accurate sound. I'm not spending <100€ for accuracy. Even when I did with the MSR7 I modded them to make them more fun. The fact that they retained their clarity, detail and overall flatness is a happy accident, but not the point. So I guess I will enjoy the SHP + HM5s. As for soundstage, at this price point I will take an inaccurate but wide soundstage over an accurate narrow one every day. Can't have it all without paying for it all.

As for the amp argument, I agree. I'm not buying anything crazy just for the 9500s. Even the MSR7, which respond very well to better amps, don't do so because of power but rather by revealing the quality (or rather by not forgiving the lack of it). I'm going to upgrade my setup as a whole at some point, but this isn't it.

So, the only question that remains unanswered is the S vs non S version thing... If I had to guess, they're probably the same headphones with different packaging and accessories, but what do I know?

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #1,695 of 2,061
Well that was detailed. Thanks a lot!

I get what you're saying about the fun vs accurate sound. I'm not spending <100€ for accuracy. Even when I did with the MSR7 I modded them to make them more fun. The fact that they retained their clarity, detail and overall flatness is a happy accident, but not the point. So I guess I will enjoy the SHP + HM5s. As for soundstage, at this price point I will take an inaccurate but wide soundstage over an accurate narrow one every day. Can't have it all without paying for it all.

As for the amp argument, I agree. I'm not buying anything crazy just for the 9500s. Even the MSR7, which respond very well to better amps, don't do so because of power but rather by revealing the quality (or rather by not forgiving the lack of it). I'm going to upgrade my setup as a whole at some point, but this isn't it.

So, the only question that remains unanswered is the S vs non S version thing... If I had to guess, they're probably the same headphones with different packaging and accessories, but what do I know?
seems like we think very much alike :) yes a better amp may give a slight improvement in clarity, staging etc. The normal dac/amp stuff, but it’s definitely not because of power as you say. For example my Hugo doesn’t drive them particularly more well than my old aune x1s did, or even my iphone...

Oh and yeah mine is the S version, I hardly doubt there’s any difference in sound but I’m not the most qualified person to ask about that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back