Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Apr 18, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,651 of 2,061
So i've been looking to upgrade from my superlux hd681 evo, with headphones under or around 100 euros. I've been reccomended these by some people, and it does seem like it could work for my tastes (assuming i can find them at a good price... what with import fees from US and whatnot), but i have a few questions
-- How well do these work with metal, particularly symphonic metal? I tend to be more drawn to the vocals, guitar, and "orchestral" elements in that genre. I think i like my vocals to be audible and not overpowered by bass or treble much.
--How do they compare to the superlux hd681 evo?
--I tend to move my head quite a bit when listening to music, and i heard they clamping is very light.. is that likely to be a problem?
--Do they require a good external dac/amp? If not, in what way would they benefit from it?
--How do they work with games? I don't need amazing ultra immersive sound or great soundwhoring capabilities, but i'm hoping they're not bad either.

- The treble is bright here, but it's not an issue and the vocals are still amazing and in very good level, so no worries.
- I don't own the Superlux HD681 evo but the bass on the HD681 will be much more prevalent, it will be a little shock at the start until you get used to the signature from the SHP9500.
- Well if you really like to bounce your head around, this headphone is going to move and not stay in the right place, the clamp is light.
- No they don't really benefit. Yeah you can say that lots of headphones will benefit, but it's worth it? I don't know. When I used it in my LG V20, normal mode and high impedance mode, I don't really notice that they improved, I can feel an ever so slight more bass and ''fuller sound''. But I'm not sure if it's because the headphone improved or was just louder
If you use this Headphone on a computer, there is a EQ setting that someone made and it's awesome, makes this headphone even more enjoyable and unlike an AMP, its something I can really notice improving. I can send you the EQ if you ever buy this headphone.
-
I play a lot of games and I think that these headphones are great, Decent-ish soundstage and good imaging. I can't tell how much this improved my competitive aspect but oh boy these headphones are immersive. They are so awesome that I'm playing games like Alien Isolation, Amnesia and Metro 2033 all over again, hope i can survive that

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,652 of 2,061
- The treble is bright here, but it's not an issue and the vocals are still amazing and in very good level, so no worries.
- I don't own the Superlux HD681 evo but the bass on the HD681 will be much more prevalent, it will be a little shock at the start until you get used to the signature from the SHP9500.
- Well if you really like to bounce your head around, this headphone is going to move and not stay in the right place, the clamp is light.
- No they don't really benefit. Yeah you can say that lots of headphones will benefit, but it's worth it? I don't know. When I used it in my LG V20, normal mode and high impedance mode, I don't really notice that they improved, I can feel an ever so slight more bass and ''fuller sound''. But I'm not sure if it's because the headphone improved or was just louder
If you use this Headphone on a computer, there is a EQ setting that someone made and it's awesome, makes this headphone even more enjoyable and unlike an AMP, its something I can really notice improving. I can send you the EQ if you ever buy this headphone.
-
I play a lot of games and I think that these headphones are great, Decent-ish soundstage and good imaging. I can't tell how much this improved my competitive aspect but oh boy these headphones are immersive. They are so awesome that I'm playing games like Alien Isolation, Amnesia and Metro 2033 all over again, hope i can survive that
Huh, interesting. Another option that i'm considering (and it's a more likely buy at the moment) are the sennheiser hd 598... how do these compare? And would you say either headphones sounds bad with metal (especially symphonic) ? Some people say the sennheiser sound is generally too "laid back" for metal.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,653 of 2,061
Huh, interesting. Another option that i'm considering (and it's a more likely buy at the moment) are the sennheiser hd 598... how do these compare? And would you say either headphones sounds bad with metal (especially symphonic) ? Some people say the sennheiser sound is generally too "laid back" for metal.

I don't own the the HD 598 so I will talk based on other people. The HD 598 will have a more mellow/laid back sound. More bass, less treble, the SHP 9500 will sound more energetic and sometimes more alive. Being logical the SHP might be more interesting for Metal specially if you want to feel the power of the sharp guitars and cymbals. But both headphones are great one is warm with more bass the other is more energetic and focused on treble.

Even tho the SHP 9500 has less bass, when I use it in my computer alongside the Equalizer in no way I find it lacking and giving some more bass on the phone EQ which is not as good as the PC one but does the job it becomes good as well. (SHP are great with EQ, they respond really well). It's just the perfect amount of bass for me, more and it would start hurting the meds for me. It's a tight bass not a loud one. That's coming from someone who loved a lot of bass and owned basshead headphones. Took me a week to get used to the SHP but when they clicked I finally understood what I was missing with so much bass. Listening to my older headphones is strange now because they feel muddy and broken. So I think it's something you get used to.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #1,654 of 2,061
I don't own the the HD 598 so I will talk based on other people. The HD 598 will have a more mellow/laid back sound. More bass, less treble, the SHP 9500 will sound more energetic and sometimes more alive. Being logical the SHP might be more interesting for Metal specially if you want to feel the power of the sharp guitars and cymbals. But both headphones are great one is warm with more bass the other is more energetic and focused on treble.

Even tho the SHP 9500 has less bass, when I use it in my computer alongside the Equalizer in no way I find it lacking and giving some more bass on the phone EQ which is not as good as the PC one but does the job it becomes good as well. (SHP are great with EQ, they respond really well). It's just the perfect amount of bass for me, more and it would start hurting the meds for me. It's a tight bass not a loud one. That's coming from someone who loved a lot of bass and owned basshead headphones. Took me a week to get used to the SHP but when they clicked I finally understood what I was missing with so much bass. Listening to my older headphones is strange now because they feel muddy and broken. So I think it's something you get used to.
Maybe it's just due to my current headphones, or my ignorance regarding euqalizers, but i've never really liked messing with equalzier settings. Usually it just makes the sound worse for me.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #1,655 of 2,061
Maybe it's just due to my current headphones, or my ignorance regarding euqalizers, but i've never really liked messing with equalzier settings. Usually it just makes the sound worse for me.

It's hard to make a decent EQ setting, you need to understand how it works, which filter to use, how the frequency response etc etc. Luckly they guy who created it really knows this headphone. I just downloaded the equalizer program and loaded the file. I like the results, it feels more balanced, a little tame in the treble and the little bass the headphone lack

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #1,656 of 2,061
It's hard to make a decent EQ setting, you need to understand how it works, which filter to use, how the frequency response etc etc. Luckly they guy who created it really knows this headphone. I just downloaded the equalizer program and loaded the file. I like the results, it feels more balanced, a little tame in the treble and the little bass the headphone lack
could be that, but i found a similiar file for the superflux hd681 evo which was supposed to "balance" the bass a bit and it just made it sound weird and unnatural to me.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #1,657 of 2,061
I have both SHP9500 and HD598SE. If price is not an issue then HD598 is the better headphone in my opinion. It's not that SHP9500 isn't great. It has better price / performance ratio and on some songs when it hits its stride it sounds amazing. But overall I consider HD598SE a better well rounded headphone as it does more things right.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #1,658 of 2,061
I have both SHP9500 and HD598SE. If price is not an issue then HD598 is the better headphone in my opinion. It's not that SHP9500 isn't great. It has better price / performance ratio and on some songs when it hits its stride it sounds amazing. But overall I consider HD598SE a better well rounded headphone as it does more things right.
yeah the general consensus is that the hd598 is a good jack of all trades, but supposedly it dosen't do THAT well with metal as it does with slower genres, i'm guessing because of the sound signature... i don't know, i'll probably be buying them from amazon anyway so i suppose i can just send htem back if i'm not pleased with them. i tend to focus primairly on vocals and guitar tho and less on drums, bass guitar, etcetera so that might work for me? but since the only experience i have with "good" headphones is one with a v-shaped sound signature i don't have much of a frame of reference.

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #1,659 of 2,061
yeah the general consensus is that the hd598 is a good jack of all trades, but supposedly it dosen't do THAT well with metal as it does with slower genres, i'm guessing because of the sound signature... i don't know, i'll probably be buying them from amazon anyway so i suppose i can just send htem back if i'm not pleased with them. i tend to focus primairly on vocals and guitar tho and less on drums, bass guitar, etcetera so that might work for me? but since the only experience i have with "good" headphones is one with a v-shaped sound signature i don't have much of a frame of reference.

I have both also . The 598's are good enough with metal , but the shp's are more upfront , a little bit faster also .

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #1,660 of 2,061
If you want metal cans try the sr60e as well. Not as neutral or detailed but fun and pleasantly open feeling and sounding. They compliment the shp9500 well. I switch between the two depending on the album. These two are comfortable imo but some say the philips are too loose and some say the grado pads are too scratchy. I personally cant stand feel of iem so use earbuds. Try for yourself is only way to know. Good thing these are all pretty cheap and resaleable.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,661 of 2,061
Upgrading the pads on the SHP 9500s to Senitek pads helps with loose fit. I have the hybrid pads on mine and along with improving the sound they fit more snugly. I also added some magnets to the backs of the drivers, those two mods combine to make the headphone feel more secure on the head, and the added weight actually gives it a sturdier more 'serious' feeling. (if that makes sense)
Combined with the two mods I listed, I recently added a Shiit Magni 3 amp. That combination makes them such a good headphone....when I am at home, it's pretty much all I use lately...I hesitate to say I like them better than my Fidelio L2....but it is REALLY close, that's how good they sound now.

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,662 of 2,061
Upgrading the pads on the SHP 9500s to Senitek pads helps with loose fit. I have the hybrid pads on mine and along with improving the sound they fit more snugly. I also added some magnets to the backs of the drivers, those two mods combine to make the headphone feel more secure on the head, and the added weight actually gives it a sturdier more 'serious' feeling. (if that makes sense)
Combined with the two mods I listed, I recently added a Shiit Magni 3 amp. That combination makes them such a good headphone....when I am at home, it's pretty much all I use lately...I hesitate to say I like them better than my Fidelio L2....but it is REALLY close, that's how good they sound now.

I have the HM 5's on mine , but I think I am going to replace them with the Shure 1840 pads . I've a Bravo Audio Ocean with a Genelex gold lion tube .

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #1,663 of 2,061
I have the HM 5's on mine , but I think I am going to replace them with the Shure 1840 pads . I've a Bravo Audio Ocean with a Genelex gold lion tube .
I've heard people say good things about those Shure pads. The Seniteks are a little different than the HM5 hybrids: the memory foam is a little less dense, and pleather is 'fenestrated' on the outer portion as well as the inner...my point is overall the Senitek pads sound a little more open than the HM5 pads.

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #1,664 of 2,061
Just based on the fact that you are using a tube amp (I have no experience with that amp, or really any tube amp) I imagine your set up is a warmer/darker presentation than mine....so I bet the Shure pads will work well to balance things out even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back