Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jun 17, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #1,711 of 2,061
Just go slow. pull a edge over the side, hold on to other edges, kep turning, going slow, when you pull the earpad over the very top point is where it gets easier. i really need to make a youtube video showing how to do it.

to remove the 9500S stock earpad, you just take a corner, then take the corner next to it, and just pull hard. it doesnt matter which corners just create pressure on two end points. pull hard, and it pops right off and pops right back on too. some youtuber used a knife to remove it, destroyed the stock earpad. sigh.
Ah, a video would be very appreciated!

Yeah, seen a lot of people do that stuff. I mean, if I need to take a knife and destroy the stock pad in the process, I would consider the stock pads not replaceable. The tab system Philips uses isn't the best, but at least they're not glued on. I hope the pad mounting would get standardized at some point. I don't even really like the normal rubber band pads like the HM5, but these at least work more than 1 time. Velcro or magnets would be cool, although I could see why magnets wouldn't be ideal for a headphone.

Jun 17, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #1,712 of 2,061
I stacked two magnets to the back of the drivers of my Phillips SHP9500s. It's hard to really judge the effects because they are subtle and they don't just affect one area. It seems like the clarity and details are improved. Things seem cleaner, a little more precise.
I wish I could give more information but it's hard to put my finger on where the improvements happened...seems like the midrange got a little more defined, bass has a little more definition to it and the background seemed to darken a little bit......
Here is what I can say for sure, before adding the magnets the 9500s had dropped out of my listening rotation a little bit because I had been listening to my Superlux HD 681 in place of it. I kept feeling like the 9500s was missing a clarity and a crispness by comparison. I just found the 681 to be more lively and engaging....after adding the magnets I find myself preferring the 9500s time and time again. There is a richness and warmth that the 681 lacks. It just sounds like a much better headphone. It's closer in sound quality to the Fidelio X2 than the Superlux.

To remove the outer screen you have to remove the pads, take out the 4 screws then pop out the screen by pushing into the bottom screw hole with a thin screw driver:
The little capsule that holds in the screen pops out

@tolis626 this is the magnet mod page 5 from this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-full-sized-headphone-mods-here.867426/page-5

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #1,713 of 2,061
I've built a nice little range of headphones and it's time for me to comment on these :dt880smile:

Of everything that I have...from KSC75s straight on up to the X2HR, these little SOBs cannot in any way be said to be overall inferior. That's what makes these so cool; they're cheap as can be, yet can hang with "the best". To me, they get to a point where it's more about difference in tuning/sound signiture and materials used as opposed to "are they as good". To me, there's a cut-off in quality and performance to when it becomes more about "so what do these do and what makes them unique", and these definitely hit that point.

It's funny, but I can go from listening to the two Monolith planars to these and still go "yeah that sounds just as good in its own way" instead of "yeah...these are cheap junk and it shows". The best thing about these is the clear-cut openness when compared to headphones that are closed or even open but with leather pads. That's where these shine...they just do their "I'm an open back with open back sound and that's exactly what you're going to get" type of thing so well.

Criticize them for "being grainy" or "needing more bass", or even "not having as big of a soundstage as ----------------- does", but the point is that these are really great exactly as they are for what they are at a ridiculous price. I dunno if I honestly can say for sure that the X2HRs are "better" IMHO.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #1,714 of 2,061
I've built a nice little range of headphones and it's time for me to comment on these :dt880smile:

Of everything that I have...from KSC75s straight on up to the X2HR, these little SOBs cannot in any way be said to be overall inferior. That's what makes these so cool; they're cheap as can be, yet can hang with "the best". To me, they get to a point where it's more about difference in tuning/sound signiture and materials used as opposed to "are they as good". To me, there's a cut-off in quality and performance to when it becomes more about "so what do these do and what makes them unique", and these definitely hit that point.

It's funny, but I can go from listening to the two Monolith planars to these and still go "yeah that sounds just as good in its own way" instead of "yeah...these are cheap junk and it shows". The best thing about these is the clear-cut openness when compared to headphones that are closed or even open but with leather pads. That's where these shine...they just do their "I'm an open back with open back sound and that's exactly what you're going to get" type of thing so well.

Criticize them for "being grainy" or "needing more bass", or even "not having as big of a soundstage as ----------------- does", but the point is that these are really great exactly as they are for what they are at a ridiculous price. I dunno if I honestly can say for sure that the X2HRs are "better" IMHO.
This is why I bought them in the first place, reading opinions like this. I got them thinking I would use them and modify them until I figured out what I want out of an open backed headphone....but it feels like these do everything I want, very close to the limit of what I can expect out of a headphone without really spending a bunch more money. I'd like a little more heft to the bass, a little more precision and clarity in the details...but these feel like quibbles rather than complaints.
With the mods I have done, paired with my amp....it feels not quite end game, but I definitely don't spend a lot of time daydreaming about the next great headphone, I've got a great one already.

EDIT...these headphones... helped me figure out what I like/don't like...so for example I don't think an AKG K7XX is my next headphone, or any of the ones in that line. I think they look amazing and I want one at some point, but I don't think they are my end game/next step up. I think having heard the way people talk about the 9500s and the way they talk about the K series, it's too open for my tastes, the way they present music doesn't suit the music I listen to.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #1,715 of 2,061
K7XX aren't easy to drive and were the most boring sounding headphones I have ever heard... the SHP9500 is the reason I got rid of them. After a month of trying to like them, the SHP9500 made me absolutely dislike them in an instant. The K7XX is even more comfortable than a stock SHP9500, but its sound...was SO MEHHHHH and muffled to me. I'd like to try the K7XX again (borrow not buy....) now that I have a variety of DAC and amp options - maybe it was just a matter of properly matching/synergizing gear. But I can't believe the DFR DAC/amp and Meier JAZZ-ff amp combo I used was not good enough for it...

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,716 of 2,061
K7XX aren't easy to drive and were the most boring sounding headphones I have ever heard... the SHP9500 is the reason I got rid of them. After a month of trying to like them, the SHP9500 made me absolutely dislike them in an instant. The K7XX is even more comfortable than a stock SHP9500, but its sound...was SO MEHHHHH and muffled to me. I'd like to try the K7XX again (borrow not buy....) now that I have a variety of DAC and amp options - maybe it was just a matter of properly matching/synergizing gear. But I can't believe the DFR DAC/amp and Meier JAZZ-ff amp combo I used was not good enough for it...

Wow, that's... I wonder if you had a broken K7XX? "Muffled" is not what comes to mind when I had my K7XX (I have K712 now, which is a little better but very similar), and while I liked the SHP9500S, I didn't think it was better.

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #1,717 of 2,061
Has anyone tried replacing the back grill or adding filters or something on the SHP9500? I don't mean mods that completely close off the back, but rather something that restricts airflow through the back opening. I was curious, as it's so easy to access that portion of the headphones.

PS : Mine will probably arrive sooner than originally expected. Yay! :D

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #1,718 of 2,061
Has anyone tried replacing the back grill or adding filters or something on the SHP9500? I don't mean mods that completely close off the back, but rather something that restricts airflow through the back opening. I was curious, as it's so easy to access that portion of the headphones.

PS : Mine will probably arrive sooner than originally expected. Yay! :D
I did a mod where I put some thin wood veneer inside the cup...didn't change much. It was very fine and didn't seem to add any sort resonance . I imagine a denser yet equally thin wood would have worked, or if I had treated it with layers of veneer, but I didn't bother with different grades of wood etc...,I like the open nature of the 9500s, that's what it does well

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,719 of 2,061
I did a mod where I put some thin wood veneer inside the cup...didn't change much. It was very fine and didn't seem to add any sort resonance . I imagine a denser yet equally thin wood would have worked, or if I had treated it with layers of veneer, but I didn't bother with different grades of wood etc...,I like the open nature of the 9500s, that's what it does well
Yeah, I saw that in the mod thread, where you linked when I asked about the magnets. Very cool looking! I could easily see myself leaving them like that if it doesn't affect the sound!

But that wasn't what I was asking about. I wanted to know about changes that would alter the sound. You know, experiments people may have done. Although I guess if a solid piece of wood, however thin, doesn't affect it much, I doubt anything besides completely closing it off would. So I guess it's magnets for me. Which seems weird, stacking a couple penny-sized magnets behind the driver... But hey, if it works...

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,720 of 2,061
Yeah, I saw that in the mod thread, where you linked when I asked about the magnets. Very cool looking! I could easily see myself leaving them like that if it doesn't affect the sound!

But that wasn't what I was asking about. I wanted to know about changes that would alter the sound. You know, experiments people may have done. Although I guess if a solid piece of wood, however thin, doesn't affect it much, I doubt anything besides completely closing it off would. So I guess it's magnets for me. Which seems weird, stacking a couple penny-sized magnets behind the driver... But hey, if it works...

I guess my question would be what don’t you like about the 9500?

You can change the sound of any headphone. But just because you CAN do something doesn’t always mean you SHOULD.

If you can provide specific areas you wish to target, I can point you in the right direction.

Also you should use 1 magnet, not a bunch. And the 1 magnet you use should be way thicker than a penny. I’ll have to double check the max magnet the 9500 supports, but I want to say it’s like 7-9mm.

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #1,721 of 2,061
I guess my question would be what don’t you like about the 9500?

You can change the sound of any headphone. But just because you CAN do something doesn’t always mean you SHOULD.

If you can provide specific areas you wish to target, I can point you in the right direction.

Also you should use 1 magnet, not a bunch. And the 1 magnet you use should be way thicker than a penny. I’ll have to double check the max magnet the 9500 supports, but I want to say it’s like 7-9mm.
Hahahah, you misunderstood. First off, I don't even have the cans yet, so I don't even know if I like them or not. I'm just a tinkerer, I like to mess with stuff. If I can take it apart and put it back together, I will. Not because I NEED to change something, just because I can. So I'm just asking out of curiosity at this point. Once I get my pair, then maybe I can ask more specifically. :)

As for the magnets, I never said I'd put like 5 magnets per cup, but you do buy them in packs of like 10. I saw the magnets someone linked to in the mod thread (from Gearbest), so I could use those if there aren't better ones. As for the penny-sized comment, I was talking about the diameter. :)

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #1,722 of 2,061
Gotcha. I’m a big tinkerer too, and mod just about every headphone and earphone I own (some more heavily than others).

However, there are some that are tuned very well as-is, and need very little work to sound their best.

For the 9500, that would be a magnet and some HM5 pads.

But like you said, I wound start with just getting them 1st and seeing what you think. You may like them perfectly as is.

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,723 of 2,061
Gotcha. I’m a big tinkerer too, and mod just about every headphone and earphone I own (some more heavily than others).

However, there are some that are tuned very well as-is, and need very little work to sound their best.

For the 9500, that would be a magnet and some HM5 pads.

But like you said, I wound start with just getting them 1st and seeing what you think. You may like them perfectly as is.
Yup, that's the spirit! If I can get my hands in it, I wanna do it.

Well, nicest thing about the SHP9500 is that, well, it's cheap. So, if it turns out that I like it so much but I also find that a modded version of it that's really different than stock also appeals to me, I could get another one down the road and have a modded one and a stock one. I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I think you get my point.

With that said, HM5 and magnets sound modded enough for a first approach to modding them. I guess these magnets that @Cruelhand Luke posted in the modding thread would work fine, right? (https://www.gearbest.com/classic-to...gn=shareasale&sascid=61k2_ezstc&userID=389818)

PS : I don't know how to shorten the URLs in this site. Is it even possible to have a hyperlink without posting a line long URL?

PS 2 : I was thinking about it... How would magnets improve sound quality? I mean, it seems kinda strange. Do they just add to the strength of the main magnet or something? In that case, I can only see them imrpoving dynamics a bit. Or am I completely off the mark?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #1,724 of 2,061
Yo I guess it's magnets for me. Which seems weird, stacking a couple penny-sized magnets behind the driver... But hey, if it works...

Getting back to you on this...

The 9500 supports a magnet with a max size of 20mm x 7mm.

Make sure you get a round magnet with the hole in the center. Also get the more powerful-rated one you can find (N50 or N52 preferably).

Also, when you install the magnet, make sure you perfectly center the vent hole in the stock driver with the center of the hole in the magnet. You'll see what I mean when you go to install it.

Also, the totally flat side of the hole goes against the driver magnet. So you will be looking at the chamfered (ie funnel-shaped) part of the hole. Like this example (not a SHP9500 driver but the idea is the same):

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #1,725 of 2,061
Getting back to you on this...

The 9500 supports a magnet with a max size of 20mm x 7mm.

Make sure you get a round magnet with the hole in the center. Also get the more powerful-rated one you can find (N50 or N52 preferably).

Also, when you install the magnet, make sure you perfectly center the vent hole in the stock driver with the center of the hole in the magnet. You'll see what I mean when you go to install it.

Also, the totally flat side of the hole goes against the driver magnet. So you will be looking at the chamfered (ie funnel-shaped) part of the hole. Like this example (not a SHP9500 driver but the idea is the same):

Wow, thanks for getting back at me! And doing so in detail! Kudos to you!

I kind of understand how it's going to be... So, among the following, which would you choose for your headphones?
1)https://www.gearbest.com/classic-toys/pp_443263.html
2)https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20m...6a3ef8f&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0
3)https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ZHA...6a3ef8f&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0
4)https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10p...8065ede&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0
5)https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pc...f09a619&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0
6)https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20p...46b2286&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

I guess the importance of the different characteristics is strength>diameter>thickness. Am I correct? I just have to not go too big, leave the vent open and make sure it's at least strong enough to do something. If you could take a look I'd really appreciate it! Thanks a bunch mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back