Philips SHP8900 and X-Fi XtremeMusic - Do I really need a headphone amplifier?
Mar 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sxperm

New Head-Fier
I just got SHP8900 headphone from a local store and use it with my XtremeMusic sound card.  After around 80 hours burned it does showing me some great potential headphone for movie, games and music.  However I am wondering if it could be better with some headphone amplifier.

My question

1. should I get a headphone amplifier or just leave it with current XtremeMusic?
2. Will it make any different? Better? 
3. Will it worth spending for? 
4. My targeting headphone amplifier is Maverick A1, is it a good choice?

Thank you in advances. :)

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 11
1. That depends on ur euthusiasm and budget

2. I used Titanium X-Fi Fatal1ty edition, and switched to iBasso T3D. Even a portable amp made a big difference on the warmth of the music and clearity of the music.

3. Its a long term investment, so it's worth if you are audiophile. Some cans later on like HD 650 requires amp to bring out its potential. The more ohm the headphone has, the more power it need; thus, needing an amp. For reference, HD 650 has 300 ohm, HD800 has 300 ohm, DT990 has a 600 ohm version.

4.I have never heard A1, but I looked it up for u and its being compared to Little Dot. Cough up few bux more and get Matrix M-Stage, you won't be dissapointed.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
1. That depends on ur euthusiasm and budget

2. I used Titanium X-Fi Fatal1ty edition, and switched to iBasso T3D. Even a portable amp made a big difference on the warmth of the music and clearity of the music.

3. Its a long term investment, so it's worth if you are audiophile. Some cans later on like HD 650 requires amp to bring out its potential. The more ohm the headphone has, the more power it need; thus, needing an amp. For reference, HD 650 has 300 ohm, HD800 has 300 ohm, DT990 has a 600 ohm version.

4.I have never heard A1, but I looked it up for u and its being compared to Little Dot. Cough up few bux more and get Matrix M-Stage, you won't be dissapointed.

Thank you very much SpecterJin.  I just want to make sure if the headphone amplifier could make any positive different that worth spending for.  I was afraid if XtremeMusic alone may enough to drive this headphone and amplifier would be wasted by not making any different at all.

My budget is around $300-$400 as I am a beginner in headphone amplifier.  However it seems the Matrix M-Stage is not available in my country and I may have to looking for an alternate solution.  Philips SHP-8900 is an excellent and worth for every cents I spent.  But one thing that annoying me is, it is too bright.  That's why I was looking for Maverick A1 as they were affordable tubed headphone amplifier in my price range.  I need tubed amp to cure the too bright and too sharp sound tone of this headphone. :)  Do you have any other suggestion?

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Thank you very much SpecterJin.  I just want to make sure if the headphone amplifier could make any positive different that worth spending for.  I was afraid if XtremeMusic alone may enough to drive this headphone and amplifier would be wasted by not making any different at all.

My budget is around $300-$400 as I am a beginner in headphone amplifier.  However it seems the Matrix M-Stage is not available in my country and I may have to looking for an alternate solution.  Philips SHP-8900 is an excellent and worth for every cents I spent.  But one thing that annoying me is, it is too bright.  That's why I was looking for Maverick A1 as they were affordable tubed headphone amplifier in my price range.  I need tubed amp to cure the too bright and too sharp sound tone of this headphone. :)  Do you have any other suggestion?

These are personal preference when it comes to how good something sound based on "bright" "cold" "warm".
I would suggest Dark Voice 337 used if ur budget is 300-400.
Another option would be to optimize the money. Ex. matrix m-stage cost 280 on ebay(you get a free HLLY tamp 20), so u r left with 120, and if the headphone annoys, then its not right for you. Sell it and try out shure 840.

A headphone may be worth every cent they cost, but if you don't like how it performs, its not for you. 
Keep that in mind, there is no perfect headphone, only whats right for you.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:

These are personal preference when it comes to how good something sound based on "bright" "cold" "warm".
I would suggest Dark Voice 337 used if ur budget is 300-400.
Another option would be to optimize the money. Ex. matrix m-stage cost 280 on ebay(you get a free HLLY tamp 20), so u r left with 120, and if the headphone annoys, then its not right for you. Sell it and try out shure 840.

A headphone may be worth every cent they cost, but if you don't like how it performs, its not for you. 
Keep that in mind, there is no perfect headphone, only whats right for you.

Thanks again. :)  I just looked and found Dark Voice 336SE is the closest available model I could find in my local store.  I may have to look somewhere else a far to see if I could find Dark Voice 337.   Do they have a big different between each other?

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Thanks again. :)  I just looked and found Dark Voice 336SE is the closest available model I could find in my local store.  I may have to look somewhere else a far to see if I could find Dark Voice 337.   Do they have a big different between each other?

Never heard 336, but there is a HUGE difference on its price for sure. lol
I was actually reading about Aiaiai TMA-1, and they have a characteristic of "dark". You might wanna take a look

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Never heard 336, but there is a HUGE difference on its price for sure. lol
I was actually reading about Aiaiai TMA-1, and they have a characteristic of "dark". You might wanna take a look

Thank you for your suggestion on headphone but it has been burned for around 80+ hours only.  I think I should give them more time like 200 hours before judge them, thus I would prefer to add a headphone amplifier to remedy the problem instead of changing the headphone for now. :)

Quote:
Sxperm, on ebay there are tube amplifiers made in China that will ship world wide.
Prices start out at $50.

I would prefer to buy any available model of tube amplifier at local store for 2 reasons.

1. I can test myself with my headphone if it suit my need, or worth spending for.  I should not judge anything based solely on review from others but myself included anyway.

2. Domestic warranty

Thank you anyway.

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 11
Another question - Will these headphone amplifiers will also make gaming / movie sounds better? Or just a music.  My connection will be XtremeMusic --> Headphone Amplifier (via Mini to RCA cable) --> Headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back