Philips SHE3905: New and even better than 3585/3595
Nov 2, 2014 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

glove4

100+ Head-Fier
I found these new SHE3905 in a local Target next to the SHE3595. The 3905 come with a mic for $22. Considering how good the 3595 are, I thought I'd give them a shot and was pleasantly surprised to hear they sound very similar to, if not better than the 3595/3585/3575. I don't have my original 3585 anymore but can remember generally their excellent V-shape sound signature. These sound even cleaner to me while retaining the deep bass and entirely non muddy mid bass. Even more is they fit better as the ear pieces are thinner and thus more comfortable for me. Anybody else see these around? Not sure if they're supposed to replace the 3595 or not. I didn't think Philips was even putting out new headphones at this point. These were worth the $22 easily though. The packaging says "Rich Bass," but make no mistake, they're just as good sounding as the legendary 3595 and may even be better, I just don't have the 3595 around to do head to head comparisons.

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 39
Here is what they look like:

philips_she3905bk_00_c1404304012429B_105559535.jpg

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 39
I don't have any experience with the Panasonic's you're referring to. I know these have a sharp V sound signature which gives them an "exciting" and "powerful" quality with most modern music. I know I listen to a lot of metal and these are perfect for that. The sub bass really punches above their weight for the price, like the 3595 as well. The mids are slightly recessed but detailed and clear with no mid bass bloat, which is a deal breaker for me. All in all, I'd pay even more for these. Budget miracles.

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 39
Dang these guys are little, but sound pretty good.  Only once you get a good seal and tips working though.  The sound signature is kinda bright with mid forward and a lot of bass.  It lacks a lot of Extensions and Decay...though what more could you ask for more than 20 bucks LOL.

They are def. worth the price. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 39
Actually, the more I listen to it, it is highly addictive...such small earphones and low price. What is addictive about it is the details and clarity with that bass it gives out. It is not organic neither natural, but it is musical and details. Awesome for electric, trance, rock, dance

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 39
10 hours burnt in.  I played around with the EQ a little bit, and dang....these clarity + details + mid + high >> than my IM70 which I love a lot....I am sure you know those.  The only bad thing when I compared to IM70 is the bass quality.  These little guys can't beat the way IM70 does for "Realistic + Quality" bass like the IM70.  But their clarity + Mid and highs do stand out pretty well.

In another saying, these can handle a few candles around the IM70.  When you cope these with the "Comfort-ability + microphone"  I would say it blasts the IM70 away.

Dont forget to buy Comply Foam Tips from Radio shack.  It Sounded pretty stupid with their "Stock Tips" or so, I was about to trash it LOL !!!!

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 39
These continue to surprise me. They're found right next to Sony's similarly priced budget earphones, but little does the potential buyer know the difference in quality that these offer. Budget miracles. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 39
Just bought the 3900 a few days ago; I think the 3590 is warmer and has a deeper and wider soundstage. The 3900 is lacking a bit in decay though extension is good.  and The 3900 is a bit more sibilant and hot in the treble out of the box. They are somewhat unforgiving of any sort of distortion found in the track, though I'm not sure whether the distortion is caused by the track or by the IEMs. Bass is a bit fuller but not by much, though I get a better seal with them which helps a lot.

The stock tips are not bad but appear to be a clear (gold version) or black matte version of the ones for the 3590. The 3590 tips are shinier and feel a bit more durable. I prefer Audio-Technica eartips to both as it takes a bit out of the treble and gives a warmer sound.

I wonder if removing the filters and adding a piece of foam may help tone down the highs. I did that for my 3590 (which already had mesh filter + foam, but the filter became dirty so I decided to take it off) and they sounded more or less the same.

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:
  Just bought the 3900 a few days ago; I think the 3590 is warmer and has a deeper and wider soundstage.

Resurrecting this thread because these are simply fantastic headphones. It has passable mid and high clarity but the bass quality is out of this world. Its stock tips are perfect for it because of its strange nozzle, any smaller of a bore would cover up the nozzle. Its interesting that you found 3590 better than the 3905, but its been a long time since I heard the 3590, I better go out and snag a pair.

The 3905 was so good it convinced me to return my Havi B3, because the 3905 scaled surprisingly well with an amp, adding more quality all around and increasing the soundstage. Although overall the 3905 had less treble and mid clarity, it presented music better and its bass quality blew the Havi's out of the water while maintaining most of the Havi's soundstage! There was simply no need for the Havi and thus I decided I needed to spend more to get an upgrade to the 3905.

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 39
  Quote:
Resurrecting this thread because these are simply fantastic headphones. It has passable mid and high clarity but the bass quality is out of this world. Its stock tips are perfect for it because of its strange nozzle, any smaller of a bore would cover up the nozzle. Its interesting that you found 3590 better than the 3905, but its been a long time since I heard the 3590, I better go out and snag a pair.

The 3905 was so good it convinced me to return my Havi B3, because the 3905 scaled surprisingly well with an amp, adding more quality all around and increasing the soundstage. Although overall the 3905 had less treble and mid clarity, it presented music better and its bass quality blew the Havi's out of the water while maintaining most of the Havi's soundstage! There was simply no need for the Havi and thus I decided I needed to spend more to get an upgrade to the 3905.

Hmm, I wouldn't say the soundstage is terrible but it felt rather "average" to me. I don't even find the M50x congested or small in soundstage (at least I don't mind it), but these IEMs just seemed a bit more closed in than the 3590. They aren't congested - intimate is probably a better word (I thought Xiaomi Piston 3 had a wide but congested soundstage).

The sibilance on these is a bit of the problem. I don't usually mind it but these seem a bit unforgiving as well - Avicii's Stories album sounds really sibilant with these...

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 39
  Hmm, I wouldn't say the soundstage is terrible but it felt rather "average" to me. I don't even find the M50x congested or small in soundstage (at least I don't mind it), but these IEMs just seemed a bit more closed in than the 3590. They aren't congested - intimate is probably a better word (I thought Xiaomi Piston 3 had a wide but congested soundstage).

The sibilance on these is a bit of the problem. I don't usually mind it but these seem a bit unforgiving as well - Avicii's Stories album sounds really sibilant with these...

I mean you can't beat fullsized headphones, even if they are closed in soundstage. I learned this by getting the Havi, which has the soundstage of about an average fullsized closed headphone, but within budget its supposed to represent the absolute best an IEM can offer without sacrificing isolation. For instance, I have a fullsized headphone, the a900x, which is supposed to have a great soundstage for a closed headphone and it soundly beats the Havi b3.

So for IEM's, the 3905 does quite alright. Though yes it is very, very V-shaped and can be strident, an upgrade to these would be the IM70 which has the 3905's deep bass but rolls off the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back