Philips SHE3905: New and even better than 3585/3595
Oct 13, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 39
The M50x is somewhat notorious for being congested and closed in but I disagree. I just think the SHE3590 has a bit more reverb/decay that deepens the soundstage. It's not a huge difference but in terms of soundstage I prefer the 3590.

Yes I had the IM70 before and I still think it has the sound signature I most greatly enjoyed, something of a W-shape - you can't really compare these with the 3900 which have a more typical v-shape. Unfortunately my pair broke and now I have to wait until I go back to Taiwan to get another one... (I tried buying one online but it had driver flex so I returned it).

I think both the 3590 and 3900 outdo the more recently released SHE8100 (a budget IEM with aluminum housings) in terms of sound. Although the 8100 has a bit more detail and transparency while not being too sibilant, the midrange is deeply recessed. Also it requires quite a bit more volume to be driven at the same level. Soundstage is about as wide as the 3900 but there is considerably more depth.A commenter on my review for that suggested that the SHE9720 might be a better but reviewers on kakaku seem very disappointed about it.

I'd take them over the Piston 3 as well. The Piston's highs and mids are somewhat veiled and not well-defined, so even though the soundstage is wide, things sound congested and hazy. They also have more mid-bass and more punchy overall, but the bass doesn't sound as deep as the Philips.

My concern is Philips is heading downhill in their budget department (not the 3900 but the 8100 and 9720), while Chinese OEMs continue to push for higher standards at the same price point.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 39
I used a needle  gently dig up the filter briefly. The mesh filter is a tad loose and not as firmly adhered to the nozzle as it is in the 8100 or 3590. It already has a thin layer of foam adhered to the back part. I would presume that removing the filters will increase the treble energy and further worsen any sibilance but adding thicker foams to the back may alleviate this and give a warmer sound. Not sure if the soundstage will change though.

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #18 of 39
I'm still blown away by the bass in these. From my experience the 3905 has better quality bass than the GR07BE amped and unamped. Now if it only wasn't for that disgusting treble.

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #19 of 39
  I'm still blown away by the bass in these. From my experience the 3905 has better quality bass than the GR07BE amped and unamped. Now if it only wasn't for that disgusting treble.

Yes they're quite addictive, a bit tighter and deeper than the 3590. However with bassy tracks they can be fatiguing.

Has anyone tried both the 3905 and 3900? The 3595 was somewhat notorious with a few users saying it sounded worse than the 3590; may have had something to do with cabling or interference from the in-line remote.

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #20 of 39
I went ahead to add some foams behind the mesh filters. Not a huge difference in sound (maybe just SLIGHTLY more laid back in the mids and highs) and Avicii's Stories album still sounds pretty sibilant. Depending on the mastering some albums are noticeably louder than others (which isn't quite as apparent with some other IEMs I've tried).

Perhaps the foams I use are not dense enough, or I need to push them in more to block the driver. I haven't tried listening to them with filters removed but likely it will sound even more sibilant.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #21 of 39
Here's my full review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/philips-she3905bk-27-in-ear-headphones-with-mic-black/reviews/14416

After prolonged listening I went back to Piston 3's and sounded relieving with wider soundstage (although the P3s can be congested at times due to rolled off highs and recessed mids)

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #22 of 39
I just bought this gem 4 days ago. And I was really surprised by the sound. But my gripe is only the treble is a bit harsh for me. But here's what I did. I remove the mesh filters and replace it with a foam. It took me a couple try how big the foam is to suit my taste and voila! I'm in love with this baby.

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #23 of 39
I just bought this gem 4 days ago. And I was really surprised by the sound. But my gripe is only the treble is a bit harsh for me. But here's what I did. I remove the mesh filters and replace it with a foam. It took me a couple try how big the foam is to suit my taste and voila! I'm in love with this baby.

I love it but stopped using it for the same reason. Where did you get the foam?

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #26 of 39
It's a padding on my broken headphone.
It takes me a lot of try to suit my taste. I'm really blown away with the quality now.

Yeah I did pretty much the same thing - I used padding from the packaging of my JBL Charge 2 speaker. I put a fair sized chunk inside and even put back the mesh filter on top, and it has toned down the highs a little, but I will need to make it more dense. 3590 had foam behind mesh filter though the mesh filter is hard to put back as it's a netted mesh not one piece adhered to the nozzle.

Going back to Xiaomi Piston 3 feels like a relief, even though their highs are somewhat muffled, and with filters removed they are also a bit sibilant (but not as bad as SHE3900)

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #27 of 39
  Yeah I did pretty much the same thing - I used padding from the packaging of my JBL Charge 2 speaker. I put a fair sized chunk inside and even put back the mesh filter on top, and it has toned down the highs a little, but I will need to make it more dense. 3590 had foam behind mesh filter though the mesh filter is hard to put back as it's a netted mesh not one piece adhered to the nozzle.

Going back to Xiaomi Piston 3 feels like a relief, even though their highs are somewhat muffled, and with filters removed they are also a bit sibilant (but not as bad as SHE3900)

I didn't put the mesh back. I also have a Xiaomi piston 3. But I prefer this after what I did. But hey maybe because we have a different hearing.

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #28 of 39

I didn't put the mesh back. I also have a Xiaomi piston 3. But I prefer this after what I did. But hey maybe because we have a different hearing.

I actually thought so when I was doing the review but over the past few days maybe I'm a bit more stressed so I don't want something with more strident highs.

They sound considerably more laid-back with Audio-Technica eartips but I only have 1 pair of medium left (they just keep disappearing!) and I'm torn between using those for the Pistons or the 3900. They're more comfy than Philips' stock tips as well.

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #29 of 39
  I actually thought so when I was doing the review but over the past few days maybe I'm a bit more stressed so I don't want something with more strident highs.

They sound considerably more laid-back with Audio-Technica eartips but I only have 1 pair of medium left (they just keep disappearing!) and I'm torn between using those for the Pistons or the 3900. They're more comfy than Philips' stock tips as well.

I agree. I don't like the stock tip. You know I'm using Piston's largest tip instead. lol 

May 8, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #30 of 39
Has anyone tried the SHB5850? It looks like a Bluetooth version of the 3900/3905. It costs around 80$ in Best Buy Canada but it's often on sale for 40$ (around 31$ US).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back