Philips HP1000, Philips SHP9000, Beyer DT 880 Pro, Sennheiser HD595...
Jun 9, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #32 of 33
I have recently purchased both 9000 and hd 650. Out of box, 9000 sound quite nice to me. They seem to have lower volume than hd 650 on same vol level set on amp. I hope to compare these two leagues apart headphones when both are burnt in to about 100 hours, and I get a decent dedicated headphone amp.

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #33 of 33

WOW.
Bump. A year since last post but it may help out those scant few that have the Philips SHP9000 and are interested in a large bump up in sound quality.
On a whim I bought some decent pleather pads from ebay ( they were even advertised as directly 9000 compatible ) to replace the stock fabric ones ( not velour but fabric ) and put them on.
Pretty easy to do there are 5 tabs ( or was it 6 ?) on the rings, these being the rings which hold the earpads. Pull up the inside edges of the pads you should be able to see them and the notches they fit into.
They snap out ( carefully ) and you'll notice that the earpads aren't angled, it's that particular plastic part of the housings towards the bottoms that makes the bump shape. I was concerned they were special pads or something, but not so. This opens up possibilities. Maybe some real leather next.

Take a peek at the large angled driver when you open them up. Nice!

These newer ones come with no stretchy fabric integrated into the pads, but a couple of foam discs you tuck in after to cover the ear opening. Or put whatever else you want instead, see how it compares. I might put some actual black speaker fabric in to try, as it's simply a dust guard.

This is the way they should have been sold stock! I don't know why they weren't, but some companies you have to wonder about their decisions, we see that quite a bit around here.
WOW ...BIG difference in sound for sure, no doubt due to less leakage and an overall better seal. I find these more comfortable as well.

You are wasting the potential of your headphones if you don't use these/non-stock pleather or leather pads.

Bass has bumped up obviously due to this, and the sound is far better. I can almost feel the bass,the drivers have that rumble in them at points from the music, not any quality control issues. Beautiful. I'm not a basshead so don't worry it's not overpowering.
Improved the "softer qualities" of these cans ( I guess by that I mean clarity is way up without harshness and with improved quality to the sound.) I suck at describing sound=Everything is awesome.
Can't take these off now.
The more I listen to these the more I appreciate the differences and am LOVING the sound. This isn't brain-in, it's that I prefer these, rather than having the earlier stock pads version used from time to time because I felt guilty about seeing them sit there.

I doubt there are many Philips 9000 owners out there, but I had to mention this due to the obvious improvements for under $15. This would no doubt apply to the 1000 model as well. Give it a shot you won't be disappointed for the $.

These are now up there as one of my favourite sets, and I have a lot of differing ones to compare to at the moment. Maybe the earlier impressions were right out of the box with no break-in? poor sources? etc I certainly don't see that aspect in any way. These are great cans.
Oh yeah they sure are now.

If I were smart I'd grab another pair while they are still around to be had new. It gives me hope for the upcoming Philips Fidelio L1 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back