Philips HP1000, Philips SHP9000, Beyer DT 880 Pro, Sennheiser HD595...
Feb 14, 2008 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

gaffa

New Head-Fier
Even though I've owned headphones for several years, seems I didn't know enough about them, so forgive my noobness.

After my old and trusty Philips HP1000 broke into 3 pieces, I kinda had to get new headphones. I went to the local store and ended up purchasing Sennheiser HD595, since they sounded good. At home they still sounded good, but I found out that they leaked all the sound outwards. That was because they were open headphones. At this time I didn't fully understand the difference between open and closed headphones. I didn't want closed headphones, as I want to hear sounds coming outside the headphones. I found out that the Philips were semi-open, so I decided I need these.

Then I ordered the Philips SHP9000, which supposedly was the successor to HP1000. I couldn't locate a single review for it. The specifications were exactly the same as HP1000. When I finally got the phones, I found out that yes they were still comfortable and semi-open, but the sound quality was nowhere near the HP1000. After a couple of days of trying to tweak my settings I gave up and returned them. I doubt any burn-in would help in this case, they just sounded so bad...

Then I did some research and ordered the Beyer DT880 Pro. Now I finally got them.

After some hours of testing the Beyer DT 880 Pro seem good, however with some drawbacks. Compared to Philips HP1000 they're not quite as comfortable, the stiff head band puts quite a pressure to your head, whereas the Philips has no pressure. However I hope I get used to this. Only after ordering I found out that apparently the pro models have more band pressure as the non-pro models (duh again!).

Another drawback is the cord which is coiled and only about 2 meters long, whereas the Philips has 4 meters uncoiled and detachable chord.

The price of course is about twice that of the Philips, although it's kinda hard to compare now as you can't get new Philips's. I'd say the Philips was definitely worth the money, with Beyer I'd say they're a bit overpriced.

Then perhaps the most interesting thing, the sound quality. At first it would seem that the Philips has more clear sound, but apparently they just give more volume for whatever reason, perhaps because of the low impedance? I don't have a headphone amp, I just hook em up with the computers HD audio output. Also there seem to be more treble on the Philips, and basically no bass, whereas the Beyer has less treble and distinctive bass. Anyway, after some time listening to the Beyers and then returning to the Philips, the Philips sound seems a bit "plastic", or cheaper. They bloody well should too considering the price difference.

So, in conclusion...

Philips HP1000
semi-open
+ good sound quality
+ low price
+ comfortable
+ long and detachable chord
- no longer in production
- cheaply made, all plastic, breaks quite easily

Philips SHP9000
semi-open
+ comfortable
+ long and detachable chord
- bad sound quality
basically don't waste your money on these

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
semi-open
+ good/great sound quality
+ well made, with proper metal
- could be more comfortable
- short and non-detachable chord
- pricey

Sennheiser HD595
(after short testing)
open
+ good sound quality
+ comfortable
- leaks sound, but since it's an open headphone, I guess it's a feature not a bug...

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 33
So is this a review or are you asking for suggestions to replace your HP1000? I mean you were running the DT880 unamped when they are 250ohm

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaffa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See it more as a review. The output's fine with Beyers, only thing wrong with them is they're slightly uncomfortable.

It's not only the volume that counts. They will not sound anywhere near as good as they can if you don't have an amp.

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 33
The Philips SBC-HP1000 is kind of "poor man's HD600". Comfy design, comfy sound but sometimes boring and lacking control and resolution. These were my impressions. The DT880 Pro's need a good source and amp and then really shine. My $430 MSRP CD player was not good enough for them, needed a couple of upgrades. The amp as well but the DT880 Pro's responded to the changes greatly. These are hi-end headphones, worth each penny paid for them but in poor systems they can only emphasize the drawbacks and imperfections, due to their manner of reproduction. However, well amped clean music signal sounds amazing. The HP1000's are even below the HD595's league. I upgraded from the HD595's to the DT880's and there is no way back.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 33
They sound good to me w/o an amp. An amp would cost something like $200. With Beyer + amp cost I could already get the cheapest Stax, and supposedly that's even better?

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 33
Well in y opinion tha HP-1000 is every bit as good as the dt880, they are just different in soundsignature....

The Philips also rise with amping like every other phone and to call the 595 a better phone than the HP-1000 is IMO no true in any way...

And for the price they are a really bang for the buck in my book...

Gaffa: they are often for sale on german e-bay, sometimes as a set with a decent amp for apr. 175-200 $

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 33
I really wouldn't want someone's old headphones, unless they come straight out of the box or something, which is unlikely. What a shame that Philips has chosen not to make this product anymore.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaffa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really wouldn't want someone's old headphones, unless they come straight out of the box or something, which is unlikely. What a shame that Philips has chosen not to make this product anymore.

Well mine was fresh out of the box, I bougth them ½ a year ago..It was a display model but still unused...

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #12 of 33
hi, i'm new here. is the shp9000 that bad? im currently looking the shp8900 and shp9000, obviously they are at different class and price but if ever i choose the shp9000 cans, is the price difference between these 2 cans worth it?

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by monoxyde1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, i'm new here. is the shp9000 that bad? im currently looking the shp8900 and shp9000, obviously they are at different class and price but if ever i choose the shp9000 cans, is the price difference between these 2 cans worth it?

I've had my SHP9000 for about a week and I don't think that the sound is bad at all. They are similar to the HP1000 (which I also own), but the bass does not sound quite as full or warm. The SHP9000 are perhaps more clinical than the HP1000. I might do further comparisons later, when the SHP9000 are a little more burnt in.

Cheers,
morkli.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 33
thnaks morkli, i'm more towards shp9000 now XP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back