Philips Golden Ears challenge
Feb 22, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #91 of 331

I was feeling so frustrated about the "Details - MP3 Artefacts" challenge on the "Silver Ears" level that wrote the below e-mail to the e-mail address found on the “Golden Ears” site, However, I haven't received any reply, and I sort of doubt that I ever will. Anyway if I do receive a reply I'll publish it here.

MP3 Artifacts" challenge only have 4 questions
Just keep guessing if you lucky u will pass it

If I remember the little mathematics about statistics I once learnt, the likelihood is about 1 chance in 25 I’ll be able to guess it provided I’m able to nail 96 Kbps without guessing. Provided I don’t need to guess at 112 Kbps the odds increases to about 1 chance in 10. No, I don’t think this method will work for me. Thanks for the suggestion nevertheless!

Guessing four: (1/3) * (1/3) * (1/3) * (1/3) = 1.2 % (1 chance in 100)
Guessing three: (1/3) * (1/3) * (1/3) = 3.7 % (1 chance in 25)
Guessing two: (1/3) * (1/3) = 11.1 % (1 chance in 10)
Guessing one: (1/3) = 33.3 % (1 chance in 3)

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #92 of 331
Holy crap. Finally! That took way too long. Particularly difficult was the Frequency Bands on Music test in the Golden section. I must have spent an hour just going through that one training. Definitely something everyone should try out.

Edit: Uploaded a pic that actually showed the progress and completion date.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #93 of 331
  Holy crap. Finally! That took way too long. Particularly difficult was the Frequency Bands on Music test in the Golden section. I must have spent an hour just going through that one training. Definitely something everyone should try out.

Congratulations! Impressive!

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #95 of 331
So mp3-compression was easy for you?
What exactly did you listen therefore to make it easy?

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #96 of 331

Edit: Uploaded a pic that actually showed the progress and completion date.

I was in the same shoes , I took a break for couple of days and had to concentrate to get through

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #97 of 331
At some point during that portion, my ears got too fatigued and I just couldn't even do the simple stuff anymore. Walked away for a couple hours and got through it a lot easier. If you're having problems with a particular area, walk away and come back.

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #98 of 331
At some point during that portion, my ears got too fatigued and I just couldn't even do the simple stuff anymore. Walked away for a couple hours and got through it a lot easier. If you're having problems with a particular area, walk away and come back.

I think it is good advice. I can now pretty well identify 96 Kbps and to some extent, 112 Kbps, but it still feels more or less impossible at 128 Kbps. My hope is that it actually is mostly about training, but I am far from sure that it's enough. It is easy to become exhausted and when that happens, nothing works. Additionally my tinnitus increases when I get pissed.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #99 of 331

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #103 of 331

I'm so impressed. I was so very happy just to pass "Silver Ears". "MP3 Artefacts" seemed insurmountable at first so when I finally made it I felt like scoring in a final. Well, this is hardly the most important thing you can do in life but nevertheless. Congratulations!

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #104 of 331
Thanks Aero Dynamic

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #105 of 331
  I think it is good advice. I can now pretty well identify 96 Kbps and to some extent, 112 Kbps, but it still feels more or less impossible at 128 Kbps. My hope is that it actually is mostly about training, but I am far from sure that it's enough. It is easy to become exhausted and when that happens, nothing works. Additionally my tinnitus increases when I get pissed.

A piano track would have been so much easier to notice the difference...

I focused on the hi-hat, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back