Philips Golden Ears challenge
Feb 20, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #61 of 331
I failed the bitrate challenge too. I think its about knowing what to listen for. After failing the test I converted some FLAC’s to 64 kbps MP3, then I made ABX test in Foobar. After a while I found that there was a clear tremolo on high tones and voices and I could immediately tell the files apart. Next time I’ll go for 96 kbps and then 128kbps. I think its all about practice.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #62 of 331
I can't remember having problems with that part, what part is it exactly in what level? I'd like to redo it. thanks

edit: Found it, it's in silver/details

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #63 of 331
  I failed the bitrate challenge too. I think its about knowing what to listen for. After failing the test I converted some FLAC’s to 64 kbps MP3, then I made ABX test in Foobar. After a while I found that there was a clear tremolo on high tones and voices and I could immediately tell the files apart. Next time I’ll go for 96 kbps and then 128kbps. I think its all about practice.

Thanks! I'll try to listen for "tremolo on high tones and voices".

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #65 of 331
Yeah that bitrate one was harder than I expected as well, took some practice to know what to listen for in the hi-hats ; maybe if I had a pair of HD800's it would've been easier 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #68 of 331

The way I did mine was to look for the tone in the voices. The  higher bit rate had a much...(fuller?) sound. It gave the 128 kbps an artificial sense of clarity but in actual fact it was missing some of the lower tones in the male's voice

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #69 of 331

The way I did mine was to look for the tone in the voices. The  higher bit rate had a much...(fuller?) sound. It gave the 128 kbps an artificial sense of clarity but in actual fact it was missing some of the lower tones in the male's voice

Ah, that's very interesting and exactly my observation as well!

I find detecting 96 Kbps very challenging, 112 Kbps very, very difficult (need to crank up the volume to unhealthy levels) but 128 Kbps and above just impossible. I’m so frustrated I’m grinding my teeth, especially as others seem to be able to pass it, although admittedly with some difficulties.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #70 of 331
Originally Posted by Aero Dynamik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The right answer is bitrate, what PHILIPS call MP3 Artifacts. It just seems impossible for me and it certainly makes me wonder why. I did find the other challenges to be reasonably easy, but to me bitrate is like running into a brick wall.

Standing in front of that wall myself.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #71 of 331
Ok, finished the Basic Level. The hardest part for me was Timbre/Coloration section and especially 5 db part.
Tomorrow I shall continue towards Bronze Ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Totally agree wait until you get to that section on Bronze Ear's.  It's pretty hard IMO!

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #72 of 331
MP3 artifacts is very hard, 96 and 112 kbps are quite easy, music sounds a bit distant at that compression level. But with 128kbps it's hard to tell the difference. I think that mp3ornot challenge is easier than this one.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #73 of 331
  Still stuck on the reverb? C'mon i know you can do that one

Didn't actually get time to try it again tbh... Flat out at work. Even when I do have the time, I much rather just listen to music and then sleep.

I got the Philips tunes in my head however~

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #74 of 331
I can not, for the life of me, get passed the Silver reverberation test. What parts or instruments are you paying attention to specifically to identify when reverberation exists and when it doesn't?

Finally. I was working on that test for a couple hours. Finally started zeroing in on the plucking of the bass to find my way through it.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #75 of 331
This thing is really sweet! Thank for sharing.

It is annoying that they make you listen to all the options...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back