Philips Golden Ears challenge
Jan 29, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #16 of 331
Two wrong on the sound stage one... That was a lot harder compared to the first two especially with my beyond worn out pads.

So I did the "Basic Level"  and you guys are seriously crazy if you did all of it at one time.  Most of the sections didn't take that long but I did the basic one in probably 15-20 minutes and I've had enough for one day.  Very cool site, thanks for the link OP.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #17 of 331
I stomped through Basic and Bronze, but hit a brick wall on the MP3 artifacts test.  I'd had my B&W P7s on for about 5 hours, and I was kinda tired, so I'll try it again today.  If I still can't get through it I might as well convert all my FLACs to 128kbps and buy Skullcandys.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #19 of 331
I've completed through silver ears just now without a wrong answer so far; I expect to have a couple during gold ears.  So far the toughest have been the last question on timbre in basic level, the last one on stereo width a couple times, and the last question on mp3 compression: for those I had to cycle through the choices a couple times each.  Easiest ones seem to be loudness, high/low rolloffs and noise.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #20 of 331
This is pretty cool.  I've made it through Bronze so far without any mistakes.  The timbre coloration in the Basic Level was by far the most challenging so far.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #21 of 331
If you're looking for similar tests, check out 'how to listen' from Harman.

EDIT: My results so far with my K612 pro:
Spectral Balance: 100%
Timbre: 100% (last one wasn't easy, but it was noticeable)
Noise detection: 100%
Distortion: 100%
Stereo Width: 100% (some of these were tricky)
Bass: 100%
Loudness: 100% (easier than I expected)
Well basic was easy, sometime soon I'll try out the next stages.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #22 of 331
I like the idea of making things like that available. I tried it a few days ago and it was an interesting experience (even if rapidly boring for me. I had to force myself to finish the first level).
what's interesting was to see that more than 10db bass boost if clearly audible, was not creating any real discomfort for me. when mid or treble boosts were hitting me in the face.
also I tried again a few bass and spacial parts with a hf5 and laughed my ass off. I still could get the result without too much efforts because the variations were huge, but going from the jh13 to hf5 was like switching difficulty from novice to nightmare in a game. man are those etys bad with imaging.

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #23 of 331
Stuck at the golden ears level Frequency Bands Challenge... that one actually requires you to learn and train quite a bit.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #24 of 331
  Stuck at the golden ears level Frequency Bands Challenge... that one actually requires you to learn and train quite a bit.

I am very stuck there. I just can't get it right it seems
frown.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #25 of 331
I've got Silver Ears+, finished everything except the 

In this exercise, you can compare nine different frequency bands. While the music is playing, press a button to hear a boost or a cut in the selected frequency band.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #27 of 331
...and the quiz at the end :O

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #29 of 331
Thanks for posting this, Moolok.  I'll try it when I get home with my DT880s.  It'll be good to see if I actually have ears of stone as I suspect.

Have fun and good luck! I'm stuck I'm afraid, ears of stone as you said and tone deaf to boot :wink: And of course a bit of flu certainly doesn't help hearing...

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #30 of 331
Trying silver ears, everything was cool except mp3 and reverb...

What do you guys listen out for?

mp3: Got no idea (lol lucky I'm not a huge believer in flac or 24/96 or else i'll be suiciding)

reverb: Do you listen to the background organ and see if it is sounding crisp or not?

:S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back