Philips Fidelio X3
Dec 5, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,681 of 1,964
I just received X3s from Amazon (paid $250 CAD/$195 USD for them). However, I am getting no sound from the right driver at all, no matter what I do. I have tried it on Fiio E10K, on straight motherboard output, and on a Windows and Mac laptop that I have lying around and get the same issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions or has run into this issue before I just conclude they are DOA and send them back?

I assume you're using the stock cable?

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #1,682 of 1,964
Yes - the standard stock unbalanced cable. Interestingly enough, I also tried plugging in a standard single entry headphone cable that I had lying around in, and it works to pump sounds to the left driver (but not right driver even if I plug it in). Plugging the left cable input into the right driver also doesn't produce any sound, so I suspect it's an issue with the headphones not the cable.

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #1,683 of 1,964
Yes - the standard stock unbalanced cable. Interestingly enough, I also tried plugging in a standard single entry headphone cable that I had lying around in, and it works to pump sounds to the left driver (but not right driver even if I plug it in). Plugging the left cable input into the right driver also doesn't produce any sound, so I suspect it's an issue with the headphones not the cable.

Yeah that does sound like an issue with the headphone, either the driver or the internal wiring, otherwise I think you would get sound from the right driver plugging in the single entry cable

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #1,685 of 1,964
Can anyone recommend a good reseller for 4.4mm balanced cables? There are apparently a few on Aliexpress, but I generally tend to favor "popular" solutions.
Given how difficult it is to find a third party cable with the particular wiring that Philips implemented here, my advice would be to just use a balanced 4.4mm adapter with the stock 2.5mm balanced cable.

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,686 of 1,964
So we can't just use third-party cables on the X3 like we can with the X2HR?

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #1,687 of 1,964
Unfortunately, that's not an option. The wiring of these headphones is very specific

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #1,688 of 1,964

You can use third-party cables on the X3, you just have to be sure they're wired correctly. Most dual 3.5mm cables on the market will not work on the X3

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #1,689 of 1,964
Third party cables exist that can work with it, however, most third party cables are incompatible which is quite annoying.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,690 of 1,964
I see, that'd be more headache and stress for me. I mean, it's fortunate the X2HR is not that picky. I use the 1.2m audiocable that I got with my Amiron Wireless and no issue. I seriously wonder what the companies were/are thinking to make it totally unnecesarry difficult for us. $%*!@ stubborn ceo's/managements.

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,691 of 1,964
For people that have tried both, how well does the X3 compare/hold up to the HD 650s/HD 6XX/HD 58X, which are generally at a similar current price point (at least 6XX is)? Now that my first X3 arrived defective, I am debating sending it back for a replacement or just getting a refund and ordering a 6XX instead.

I have a big head/ears and use headphones both for music/gaming (MMO, non competitive), but also work from home and wear them for conference calls about 80% of the working day, so comfort and ability to wear them 8+ hours straight is as important as sound quality for me. I have the X2HR currently and find them extremely comfortable/ear cups are the best I've ever used, but they feel a little too heavy when wearing them for hours at a time. I previously used the DT990, which I found extremely uncomfortable (mainly because the earcups are just too small for my ears), and the SHP9500, which were comfortable, but the excessive brightness of the sound signature, the weird earcup material, and the lack of stability (they feel like they just sit on your ears with no seal or clamp at all) drove me to look for an upgrade.

Thoughts on this vs Sennheiser 6 line? I currently only have an E10K amp.

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #1,692 of 1,964
Does anyone have a lead on a reasonably priced shorter length (4-6 feet) balanced cable for the X3? The one recommended earlier in the thread is no longer available. So far the only things I've found are $100+ custom cables. Someone must make something that is reasonable.

Dec 10, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #1,693 of 1,964
You're making me feel better about my impulse buy a few days ago when they were $159.99 on Amazon for Prime members. :D I thought the X2 were "good" but not great and they didn't fit my small head well, either, so I sold them.

The X3 has always interested me some but I was unwilling to shell out $300 for them but I finally cracked when they got down to $159.99.
I felt similarly about the X2 (well, maybe a little more negative than "good," I thought they were decent overall but personally not to my taste in most ways) so I hope you enjoy the X3. At $160 I can't imagine getting much more performance out of a headphone in terms of technicals.
For people that have tried both, how well does the X3 compare/hold up to the HD 650s/HD 6XX/HD 58X, which are generally at a similar current price point (at least 6XX is)? Now that my first X3 arrived defective, I am debating sending it back for a replacement or just getting a refund and ordering a 6XX instead.

I have a big head/ears and use headphones both for music/gaming (MMO, non competitive), but also work from home and wear them for conference calls about 80% of the working day, so comfort and ability to wear them 8+ hours straight is as important as sound quality for me. I have the X2HR currently and find them extremely comfortable/ear cups are the best I've ever used, but they feel a little too heavy when wearing them for hours at a time. I previously used the DT990, which I found extremely uncomfortable (mainly because the earcups are just too small for my ears), and the SHP9500, which were comfortable, but the excessive brightness of the sound signature, the weird earcup material, and the lack of stability (they feel like they just sit on your ears with no seal or clamp at all) drove me to look for an upgrade.

Thoughts on this vs Sennheiser 6 line? I currently only have an E10K amp.
The X3 I think are a strict upgrade over the 6XX in terms of soundstage and imaging. To be fair, those are generally acknowledged to be some of the 6XX's weaker aspects, and I do think on the flipside the 6XX is more "musical" and has better timbre.

If you had a problem with bright sound sig on the SHP9500 though, you might not like the X3 because out of the box it is quite bright. Way brighter than either 6XX or X2HR. Lots of treble energy.

Also in terms of turning it into a gaming/conference call headset, you might want to confirm stuff like adding a mic will actually work given the weird wiring that the X3 uses.

I think it would be safer to recommend 6XX over the X3 in this case. If these headphones are doing double duty as a work-from-home headset that you keep on most of the day, you could also look at the Sennheiser PC38X which is a full-blown headset with built-in mic, and about $40 cheaper.

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #1,694 of 1,964
I felt similarly about the X2 (well, maybe a little more negative than "good," I thought they were decent overall but personally not to my taste in most ways) so I hope you enjoy the X3. At $160 I can't imagine getting much more performance out of a headphone in terms of technicals.

The X3 I think are a strict upgrade over the 6XX in terms of soundstage and imaging. To be fair, those are generally acknowledged to be some of the 6XX's weaker aspects, and I do think on the flipside the 6XX is more "musical" and has better timbre.

If you had a problem with bright sound sig on the SHP9500 though, you might not like the X3 because out of the box it is quite bright. Way brighter than either 6XX or X2HR. Lots of treble energy.

Also in terms of turning it into a gaming/conference call headset, you might want to confirm stuff like adding a mic will actually work given the weird wiring that the X3 uses.

I think it would be safer to recommend 6XX over the X3 in this case. If these headphones are doing double duty as a work-from-home headset that you keep on most of the day, you could also look at the Sennheiser PC38X which is a full-blown headset with built-in mic, and about $40 cheaper.
Thanks for the response - I have a Samson G Track Pro (full sized desktop mic) already, so the ability to add a mic is a non issue. I actually dislike the ergonomics of a headset with a mic permanently attached, especially when it can't be removed like the PC38X.

Are the HD 650 likely to still sound fine driven by just a Fiio E10K? Right now with the X3s, I only have the amp on 30% volume, Windows on 40% volume and YT Music on 40% volume, so clearly, there is lots of volume headroom, but will the sound be terrible? What appeals to me about the 650/6XX is the headroom for future amp/dac upgrades, plus how available things like replacement pads and cables are (something potentially a huge long term concern with the X3).

Dec 10, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #1,695 of 1,964
Thanks for the response - I have a Samson G Track Pro (full sized desktop mic) already, so the ability to add a mic is a non issue. I actually dislike the ergonomics of a headset with a mic permanently attached, especially when it can't be removed like the PC38X.

Are the HD 650 likely to still sound fine driven by just a Fiio E10K? Right now with the X3s, I only have the amp on 30% volume, Windows on 40% volume and YT Music on 40% volume, so clearly, there is lots of volume headroom, but will the sound be terrible? What appeals to me about the 650/6XX is the headroom for future amp/dac upgrades, plus how available things like replacement pads and cables are (something potentially a huge long term concern with the X3).
I've never had an E10K but I just checked its output specs and I do have a portable amp on hand that's in the same ballpark, along with my 6XX, so I tested it and it sounds fine.

Scaling up with the 6XX I think gives it more dynamics, more quantity and quality bass, and thicker mids, maybe a bit more treble extension though that can vary depending on amp, but all the ingredients that give the 6XX its signature appeal are present running out of anything I've ever heard it from, including 3.5mm jacks on a few phones.

A lot of times when we say things like "this more expensive amp made me feel like I'm hearing my 6XX for the first time" the implication is that it sounds bad on lower powered equipment, but in reality it just sounds great on that lower-powered gear and sounds greater on better gear.

Now granted I'm sure there are some really trashy setups that would make the 6XX sound bad, but I think at that point they'd just make everything sound bad to be honest.

If you have your source at 40% twice over and are at 30% with the X3 on the FiiO, I think you will certainly have enough headroom to run the 6XX competently and then it will also get a nice bump once you upgrade amps. But in the meantime, assuming you actually like the sound sig of the 6XX itself, I think you would be satisfied running it from the FiiO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back