Philips Fidelio X3
Dec 10, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #1,696 of 1,964
Thanks for the response - I have a Samson G Track Pro (full sized desktop mic) already, so the ability to add a mic is a non issue. I actually dislike the ergonomics of a headset with a mic permanently attached, especially when it can't be removed like the PC38X.

Are the HD 650 likely to still sound fine driven by just a Fiio E10K? Right now with the X3s, I only have the amp on 30% volume, Windows on 40% volume and YT Music on 40% volume, so clearly, there is lots of volume headroom, but will the sound be terrible? What appeals to me about the 650/6XX is the headroom for future amp/dac upgrades, plus how available things like replacement pads and cables are (something potentially a huge long term concern with the X3).
The E10K is fine, it provides enough of power for the DT770/880 for example. In fact, I had those DT headphones.

Dec 12, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,697 of 1,964
I can have them for 217 USD (final price branded new from shop) .
Its with discount. Regural price is near 244USD
Not sure if I'll have a chance to check them before buy.
Sennheiser hd600 and hd650 have high frequencies good for me (not to bright)
Beyerdynamic dt990 are painful to my ears.
Where can x3 be placed?
I tried to find frequency response graph to compare them but I wasn't able to.

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #1,698 of 1,964
I've never had an E10K but I just checked its output specs and I do have a portable amp on hand that's in the same ballpark, along with my 6XX, so I tested it and it sounds fine.

Scaling up with the 6XX I think gives it more dynamics, more quantity and quality bass, and thicker mids, maybe a bit more treble extension though that can vary depending on amp, but all the ingredients that give the 6XX its signature appeal are present running out of anything I've ever heard it from, including 3.5mm jacks on a few phones.

A lot of times when we say things like "this more expensive amp made me feel like I'm hearing my 6XX for the first time" the implication is that it sounds bad on lower powered equipment, but in reality it just sounds great on that lower-powered gear and sounds greater on better gear.

Now granted I'm sure there are some really trashy setups that would make the 6XX sound bad, but I think at that point they'd just make everything sound bad to be honest.

If you have your source at 40% twice over and are at 30% with the X3 on the FiiO, I think you will certainly have enough headroom to run the 6XX competently and then it will also get a nice bump once you upgrade amps. But in the meantime, assuming you actually like the sound sig of the 6XX itself, I think you would be satisfied running it from the FiiO.

Also the 6XX's reputation for scaling is best understood as being mostly about certain types of amps like OTL amps with high output impedance changing the way the 300 ohm Sennheiser's sound because of their impedance curves, rather than just throwing more power at them. Granted better equipment can simply sound better, but the idea of needing to throw MOAR POWER at headphones to make them sound good once you've got enough headroom to reach decent output levels without pushing your equipment to the max can probably mostly be understood as more audiophile mythmaking outside of a handful of really power-hungry headphones (like some planars)

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #1,699 of 1,964
Also the 6XX's reputation for scaling is best understood as being mostly about certain types of amps like OTL amps with high output impedance changing the way the 300 ohm Sennheiser's sound because of their impedance curves, rather than just throwing more power at them. Granted better equipment can simply sound better, but the idea of needing to throw MOAR POWER at headphones to make them sound good once you've got enough headroom to reach decent output levels without pushing your equipment to the max can probably mostly be understood as more audiophile mythmaking outside of a handful of really power-hungry headphones (like some planars)
My HD650s sound great out of every device, the headphones outs of my CD Players, my cheap Toshiba laptop, my Teac DAC/Amp, both iPhones.
With the exception of my work laptop that has a poor soundcard with a very direct and flat sound.

Dec 23, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #1,701 of 1,964
I assume you're using the stock cable?

I just received X3s from Amazon (paid $250 CAD/$195 USD for them). However, I am getting no sound from the right driver at all, no matter what I do. I have tried it on Fiio E10K, on straight motherboard output, and on a Windows and Mac laptop that I have lying around and get the same issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions or has run into this issue before I just conclude they are DOA and send them back

I just received X3s from Amazon (paid $250 CAD/$195 USD for them). However, I am getting no sound from the right driver at all, no matter what I do. I have tried it on Fiio E10K, on straight motherboard output, and on a Windows and Mac laptop that I have lying around and get the same issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions or has run into this issue before I just conclude they are DOA and send them back?
Change th

Does anyone have any suggestions or has run into this issue before I just conclude they are DOA and send them back?
There is a left and right side cable. Switch cables.

Dec 25, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #1,702 of 1,964
Pessoal
Estou realmente em dúvida entre Fidelio X3 e HD560s.
Um tempo atrás eu estava prestes a comprar o x3, mas desisti no último momento e acabei conseguindo uma promoção para o HD560, mas ainda quero saber como o x3 seria nos filmes e séries que serão meu maior uso .

Ainda encontro um X3 usado por aqui na faixa de 100uds? PM se alguém com oferta. : santa:

Dec 27, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #1,704 of 1,964
I Can have x3 or hd6xx in similar price.
Which would you choose?
HD6xx is a safer choice. Its sound never gets offensive, its tonal balance is near perfect. The X3 is pretty hot in the highs and the mids are slightly less lush and forward. But X3s soundstage, or at least the impression of a soundstage it gives is imho better than HD6xx's. X3s bass goes a bit deeper as well and has a bit more definition, texture and punch in the bass.
HD6xx is a better allrounder, X3 I generally prefer for big orchestral works.

Dec 27, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #1,706 of 1,964
HD6xx is a safer choice. Its sound never gets offensive, its tonal balance is near perfect. The X3 is pretty hot in the highs and the mids are slightly less lush and forward. But X3s soundstage, or at least the impression of a soundstage it gives is imho better than HD6xx's. X3s bass goes a bit deeper as well and has a bit more definition, texture and punch in the bass.
HD6xx is a better allrounder, X3 I generally prefer for big orchestral works.
I burned in the x3 for some days and the highs got really smooth

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #1,707 of 1,964
I ended up returning the X3 and now have the HD650 and the HD58X and am using them with a Fiio K5 Pro. I am not a big audiophile, but the 650 just sounds significantly clearer and more detailed to me. Yes, it has a narrower sound stage, and it has less quantity of bass (but not less quality). I also find the 650 more comfortable to me once broken in for a week - the X3 comfort should be better with the suspension band, but I find the band just keeps trying to pull up and doesn't want to stay situated low enough on my ears, making it less comfortable than the X2HR.

The kicker for me is - basically 0 availability on replacement pads or even an option to get a shorter or less annoying cable doesn't bode well for longevity. X3 cable is extremely annoying and stiff - far worse than the 650/58x flexible stock cable, and parts for the 650 are extremely plentiful and available.

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #1,708 of 1,964
Folks.
Has anyone got the correct schematic to make diy cables for the fidelio X3 or has an indication of good cables ready on aliexpress?

I can assemble DIY if necessary, I just need the schematic.
Cable terminated XLR 4pin, my amp will be the Xduoo MT604 Balanced.

Feb 6, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #1,709 of 1,964
Folks.
Has anyone got the correct schematic to make diy cables for the fidelio X3 or has an indication of good cables ready on aliexpress?

I can assemble DIY if necessary, I just need the schematic.
Cable terminated XLR 4pin, my amp will be the Xduoo MT604 Balanced.

You don't need a schematic, especially if you have made cables in the past; It's easy. For left the TIP on the TRS is left channel, and for the right the RING is what the X3 expects for that channel. It's no different than any other 3.5mm TRS connector. Heck, if you already have custom cables that use stereo plugs for the headphone connectors, just bridge the TIP and RING on the right channel and the cable will both work with the X3 and still work with the existing headphones that receive the right channel through the tip (like 99% of dual entry cans out there). My Sundara and X3 share a common cable.

Feb 6, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #1,710 of 1,964
You don't need a schematic, especially if you have made cables in the past; It's easy. For left the TIP on the TRS is left channel, and for the right the RING is what the X3 expects for that channel. It's no different than any other 3.5mm TRS connector. Heck, if you already have custom cables that use stereo plugs for the headphone connectors, just bridge the TIP and RING on the right channel and the cable will both work with the X3 and still work with the existing headphones that receive the right channel through the tip (like 99% of dual entry cans out there). My Sundara and X3 share a common cable.
Ah yes!!
My X3 hasn't arrived yet, I don't have them on hand.
But I went by what people said that the x3 doesn't accept the common cables of other headphones that he had exclusive probe, at least I saw some talk about it I was in doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back