Philips Fidelio X3
Feb 8, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #1,726 of 1,964
Thanks! My X3 won't arrive until Thursday, so that's great to know - first time I've seen any official reference like that.

Feb 11, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #1,727 of 1,964
I'm sending them back. Very disappointed. That upper-mid suckout and the peaky treble bothered me. Plus they want far more power than I expected! Comfortable, though; they reminded me somewhat of the Sony MDR-F1 that I used to own.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #1,728 of 1,964
I'm sending them back. Very disappointed. That upper-mid sickout and the peaky treble bothered me. Plus they want far more power than I expected! Comfortable, though; they reminded me somewhat of the Sony MDR-F1 that I used to own.
Whenever I buy a new headphone, I leave it playing for 2 to 3 whole days at medium volume, only after that I do a critical audit.
Yes I know that each one is each one but after I started doing this I stopped returning new headphones.

when i get home i open the box i check if both sides L/R works well and i leave it in my weight playing on the dac/amp for 2 to 3 days, without putting it on my head so as not to say it was my ears that got used to it hahaha. :beerchug:

Waiting for mine to arrive.

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #1,729 of 1,964
It was burning in for 12 hours, with absolutely no change. I've heard change from burn-in before but I have never heard any headphone change as much as this would have had to for me to keep it. Plus the power requirement is just too high.

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #1,730 of 1,964
I'm sending them back. Very disappointed. That upper-mid sickout and the peaky treble bothered me. Plus they want far more power than I expected! Comfortable, though; they reminded me somewhat of the Sony MDR-F1 that I used to own.
It is a very different signature than what most of us are used to coming from Philips. It’s probably one of the primary reasons why the X3 didn’t catch on as much; it is a huge departure from what Fidelio fans fell in love with. Personally it gets closer to my preference in sound signature. I do agree with the power requirements being a tad high, though I can drive them balanced out of my Go Blu perfectly fine. Though why Philips decided to go with the smaller 2.5mm balanced connection is perplexing.

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #1,731 of 1,964
I was looking for an open headphone I could use with portable sources when I don't want to use an IEM or my closed WP900. And the price was so low I figured I'd try it out. Oh, well... Back to the drawing board.

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,732 of 1,964
I was looking for an open headphone I could use with portable sources when I don't want to use an IEM or my closed WP900. And the price was so low I figured I'd try it out. Oh, well... Back to the drawing board.
When you have a tube amp, everything sounds enjoyable. On solid state amps, the X3 sounds lifeless to me since I've upgraded to the Elegia

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #1,733 of 1,964
Oldkid, If you like your Elegia, and want to be spoiled (and maybe cry), listen to the Focal Utopia from a great tube amp.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #1,735 of 1,964
Oldkid, If you like your Elegia, and want to be spoiled (and maybe cry), listen to the Focal Utopia from a great tube amp.
I'm not ready for the Utopia yet. Or, I'd rather say my bank account surely isn't! :sweat_smile:

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #1,736 of 1,964
The X3 comes with a 3.5mm single-ended cable and a 2.5mm balanced cable. Should have been a 4.4mm balanced cable, which is becoming standard. And at least one SHORTER cable!

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #1,737 of 1,964
Agreed.

I would have purchased this day one if it had single ended 3.5mm like the X2HR.
It comes with a single-ended 3.5mm cable. It's just a really long cable. They're missing the 4.4mm cable which seems like it would fit better with a non-portable setup which the cable length says they were aiming for.

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #1,738 of 1,964
To clarify: the two X3 cables each have two headphone connectors (each 3.5mm TRS, one for each side) and one source connector (either 3.5mm TRS or 2.5mm for balanced sources). Both are 3M long, fabric covered, and pretty stiff.

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #1,739 of 1,964
To clarify: the two X3 cables each have two headphone connectors (each 3.5mm TRS, one for each side) and one source connector (either 3.5mm TRS or 2.5mm for balanced sources). Both are 3M long, fabric covered, and pretty stiff.
Now that we know that Audeze LCD-1 cables are compatible, the official Audeze cable for that headphones seems like a good alternative for people who complain about the X3 cables.

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-1-3-5mm-premium-cable

This one is 2 meters instead of 3

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #1,740 of 1,964
Folks.
Has anyone thought of dealing with possible reflections on x3?

From the photos, the internal plastic walls seem to be very reflective and thin, where a treatment to reinforce the walls and apply an adhesive layer of surgical paper would be welcome.

I'll wait for my x3 to arrive and I intend to do some tests in this regard, if anyone has already anticipated, post your experiences please.

X3_CCR_A10_explod_details.png

driver.jpg

11382501.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back