Philips Fidelio X3
Feb 17, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #1,756 of 1,969
Once you've figured out how to listen to music around 63DB maximum (C-Weighted), you shall know why these headphones should be worth around $600 in my opinion. At about $200 with it's stunning build quality and sound, this headphone is a STEAL! Remember, only for those who can listen at the optimal level that mixing and mastering engineers do; 63DB maximum (C-Weighted). THESE HEADPHONES ARE DESIGNED FOR THE SOPHISTICATED LISTENER!
I agree on most things, these are indeed very good headphones, my favorite pair for classical music.
But I exclusively listen below 63db anyway and still I am aware there is a peak in the treble, fortunately not one that bothers me, but the treble is objectively not without fatigue.
For most music they are stellar, for audio books or Youtube commentary videos for instance the peak in the highs can get fatiguing.

Another thing about loudness. Maybe I am the only person who experiences this, and it definitely is not always the case, but I have come to realize that listening at too low levels can result in a similar listening fatigue in the highs. I think it is the lack of body or definition, a thinness that can make the higher range sound grating. Listening to the sound that comes of someone else's portable headphones in public transport for instance I find similarly fatiguing, you only hear a swirl of undefined high pitched noises and that can get on my nerves pretty easily.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #1,757 of 1,969
3rd camp: Me!
I used to love my X3s then I bought a Focal Elegia, a closed back pair that beats the X3's open design in every aspect of the sound signature.

I always listen at low gain, most of the time low volume, especially at night.
They're decent, but not great. They deserve a listen if you don't already own a better pair of cans.
The Focal Elegia is a closed back headphone. So it's definitely gonna outperform the X3 in some aspects like tightness, depth and overall bass quantity. Likewise, the X3 is gonna outperform the Elegia in aspects regarding soundstage and natural presentation. Seeing that you love the Elegia implies you like an intimate and active presentation. The X3 is a distant and passive presentation comparatively. I prefer the latter because I love a "live music" kind of presentation. I also personally don't like the feeling of being "closed in" offered by most closed backs. With all of this, it would stand that the Focal Elegia is a better headphone in some aspects, unfortunately the comparison if intended is a little off the mark due to difference in operating principle of these headphones.

Feb 17, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #1,758 of 1,969
I agree on most things, these are indeed very good headphones, my favorite pair for classical music.
But I exclusively listen below 63db anyway and still I am aware there is a peak in the treble, fortunately not one that bothers me, but the treble is objectively not without fatigue.
For most music they are stellar, for audio books or Youtube commentary videos for instance the peak in the highs can get fatiguing.

Another thing about loudness. Maybe I am the only person who experiences this, and it definitely is not always the case, but I have come to realize that listening at too low levels can result in a similar listening fatigue in the highs. I think it is the lack of body or definition, a thinness that can make the higher range sound grating. Listening to the sound that comes of someone else's portable headphones in public transport for instance I find similarly fatiguing, you only hear a swirl of undefined high pitched noises and that can get on my nerves pretty easily.
I'm glad we agree on most points. I believe the peak & fatigue you are dealing with is very likely related to aliasing artifacts. They cause some headphones to sound grainy like the X2. I used to experience the same months ago until I finally understood the importance of over sampling. My X2 now sounds as smooth as can be. I wouldn't be surprised if your DAC doesn't offer oversampling. It could also be caused by a number of other reasons e.g. taking an SPL measurement far away from the driver giving a false low DB reading and ears have a unique shape that amplifies certain frequencies. I could be totally wrong about the above so please take my suggestions with some level of speculation.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #1,759 of 1,969
The Focal Elegia is a closed back headphone. So it's definitely gonna outperform the X3 in some aspects like tightness, depth and overall bass quantity. Likewise, the X3 is gonna outperform the Elegia in aspects regarding soundstage and natural presentation. Seeing that you love the Elegia implies you like an intimate and active presentation. The X3 is a distant and passive presentation comparatively. I prefer the latter because I love a "live music" kind of presentation. I also personally don't like the feeling of being "closed in" offered by most closed backs. With all of this, it would stand that the Focal Elegia is a better headphone in some aspects, unfortunately the comparison if intended is a little off the mark due to difference in operating principle of these headphones.
Not entirely true. The Elegia is clearly in another league. It outperforms the X3 in every aspect, including soundstage, which surprised me a lot at first. Some people call it semi open because of the size of the vents on each cup. It is a closed back that sounds like an open back. The X3 can't compete, but that is to be expected due to the price difference.

I was once praising the X3 like you do, now I find them just ok. I guess that's because I'm closer to my endgame with the Elegia

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #1,760 of 1,969
Not entirely true. The Elegia is clearly in another league. It outperforms the X3 in every aspect, including soundstage, which surprised me a lot at first. Some people call it semi open because of the size of the vents on each cup. It is a closed back that sounds like an open back. The X3 can't compete, but that is to be expected due to the price difference.

I was once praising the X3 like you do, now I find them just ok. I guess that's because I'm closer to my endgame with the Elegia
I think the Elegia is a step ahead in most aspects, I disagree that the soundstage is bigger. The X3 was definitely wider to my ears. The other guy is right in that the presentation is completely different between them (one being more forward and energetic and the other being more laid back) so it's not a 1 - 1 comparison.

Feb 18, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #1,761 of 1,969

I haven't listened to the Elegia. Based on your hands on opinion and price, I'm certain it's gonna outperform the X3. Please do a detailed comparison of both (Elegia Vs X3) and share it. It just might compel me to pick it up considering I currently don't own any closed backs.

Feb 18, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #1,762 of 1,969
I think the Elegia is a step ahead in most aspects, I disagree that the soundstage is bigger. The X3 was definitely wider to my ears. The other guy is right in that the presentation is completely different between them (one being more forward and energetic and the other being more laid back) so it's not a 1 - 1 comparison.
Well said!

Feb 18, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,763 of 1,969
Did the schematic sheet not come with everyone's headphones? This was in with the instructions in my X3 shows the wiring for both types of cable included.
That would have been very helpful for them to have had included. I got something.. less helpful. IMG_20220218_221724~2.jpg
I did manage to figure the correct wiring out with some trial and error though.

@JML
I am sorry that you didn't like them. I knew you were looking forward to them.
They are definitely deceptively power-hungry. Moreso than the X2HR, for sure.

And they do have a particular sound profile. That in particular had me way confused and disappointed in the beginning. I get how they are not everyone's cup of tea. But they've grown more and more on me, and I just find all my other headphones to have worse compromises. There certainly was an adaptation period, but now they are my preferred headphones in terms of comfort listening. Not a very active sound profile for sure. :)
I hope you found something else.

In other news.. I've gotten a wax plug situation, and only have left-ear hearing at the moment. I've never missed something so much as I miss music right now. And some major X3 withdrawal symptoms.

Will be housesitting and bringing only the Ipad, Magni 3+, X3 and Amperior, hoping the ear situation will resolve itself during. Amperior for portable use (but boy do they like an amp for an 18 ohm pair), X3 if there will be any leisure time. They are definitely my "bring only one" headphone. Or, well, two. :)

Edit:: considering the amount of enjoyment I've gotten out of the X3, the 106 € I got them for back in July was well invested money.
I easily would have been prepared to pay HD 650 money for it, since I prefer solid state X3 more than even tubed 650.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #1,764 of 1,969
Friends.

Any new experiences you've had with your X3, something new good to share?
A new cable, a new dac amp, a new modding.

I'm still anxiously waiting for my X3 + Xduoo MT604 to arrive, I think it will be a good pair, the dac will be the balanced D10 topping. :beerchug:

maxresdefault.jpg

Feb 20, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #1,765 of 1,969
Friends.

I'm still anxiously waiting for my X3 + Xduoo MT604 to arrive, I think it will be a good pair, the dac will be the balanced D10 topping. :beerchug:

maxresdefault.jpg
This DAC/amp combo deserve a better headphones than the X3 in my opinion, but I'm still curious to read your review

Feb 20, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #1,766 of 1,969
Friends.

maxresdefault.jpg
Waiting for new gear is like christmas when you were a child. But just like then, letting expectations build up too far can ruin a good experience. :)

New? No. :) I've had it for seven months now. The last new experiment I took it on was with an Xduoo amp, though it was the OTL TA-26. I tried running it through the Xduoo; through the TA-26 as a pre-amp to the Magni 3+; and through the Magni as a pre-amp to the TA-26. Not my favourites - just running it straight through the Magni was the best experience for me.
I think it will do much better with a hybrid amp than an OTL though. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on all three, separately and together.

What new things can I add? Have experimented slightly with EQ. Am house-sitting, so I can't say exactly, but I think I increased the 30 Hz slider by 3 dB, (I have an antique PCI-e sound card with associated driver software, sue me!), 60 Hz by 2 dB and reduced 8k by 2 dB. I prefer doing smaller nudges. The effect was subtle, but my subjective experience still suggests it tamed the treble and sibilance, whilst giving the headphone more body down low. I generally do not believe in EQ, so I haven't daily driven it, but have pulled it out now and then. I do prefer subtle effects so as not to change a headphone into something it isn't, but I suggest trying if you feel the headphone needs some reigning in. That was with my setup and my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #1,767 of 1,969
This DAC/amp combo deserve a better headphones than the X3 in my opinion, but I'm still curious to read your review
Dac amp I'm in favor of always having the best cost benefit x performance, I found this dac/amp combo very good by the reviews.
I'm prepared for other headphones and not just the x3 of that moment, I'm still going to listen to the x3 well amplified and know what it's really capable of or not, much better than using an average amp because it's said to be the x3 easy to play, I think kind of relative this ease, seen in his file can be easy to play but the same has large 50mm drives that in itself makes him a little demanding to show his best, here comes the MT604.

Feb 20, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #1,768 of 1,969
Waiting for new gear is like christmas when you were a child. But just like then, letting expectations build up too far can ruin a good experience. :)

New? No. :) I've had it for seven months now. The last new experiment I took it on was with an Xduoo amp, though it was the OTL TA-26. I tried running it through the Xduoo; through the TA-26 as a pre-amp to the Magni 3+; and through the Magni as a pre-amp to the TA-26. Not my favourites - just running it straight through the Magni was the best experience for me.
I think it will do much better with a hybrid amp than an OTL though. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on all three, separately and together.

What new things can I add? Have experimented slightly with EQ. Am house-sitting, so I can't say exactly, but I think I increased the 30 Hz slider by 3 dB, (I have an antique PCI-e sound card with associated driver software, sue me!), 60 Hz by 2 dB and reduced 8k by 2 dB. I prefer doing smaller nudges. The effect was subtle, but my subjective experience still suggests it tamed the treble and sibilance, whilst giving the headphone more body down low. I generally do not believe in EQ, so I haven't daily driven it, but have pulled it out now and then. I do prefer subtle effects so as not to change a headphone into something it isn't, but I suggest trying if you feel the headphone needs some reigning in. That was with my setup and my ears.
Yea!!
A lot of curiosity yes, I'm going to make good jokes here and see how everything goes, x3 should arrive this week, dac amp in the other 2 to 3 weeks.

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #1,770 of 1,969
Has anyone tried Dekoni pads (suede / elite velour) ?
I have the Dekoni choice suede. They improve comfort, but the sound it's off. I only tried them a few times, but if i remember correctly it gave them an unnatural sound to the mids, and the upper mids/treble was affected negatively.
I didn't spend much time with them on, but it didn't sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back