Philips Fidelio X3
Feb 25, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #1,771 of 1,969
I've finally ordered the Fidelio X3 at a good price 211€ (236$), will have them by tomorrow...I will be hooking them up on a focusrite Scarlett 4i4 audio interface (computer), Marantz CD player and Cowon Plenue D. I was thinking on getting a DAC/AMP, maybe the iFi Zen Dac ? :thinking:

Feb 27, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,774 of 1,969
Finally received the Fidelio X3, joining the others X2 and X2HR/00:dt880smile:

I've had a little time to listen and compare with the X2HR/00, on different genres of music (80's classic rock, pop, electro, disco,...)

So far so good, i'm really enjoing the X3...they sound really good, but the X2HR/00 are more "fun". Not hearing much sibilance from these headphones.

I will do another listening session tonight with some hard rock, metal and hip-hop music.

As for confort, the padding (head band) of the X2 are more softer and comfortable than X3.

FIDELIO X.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #1,775 of 1,969
Finally received the Fidelio X3, joining the others X2 and X2HR/00:dt880smile:

I've had a little time to listen and compare with the X2HR/00, on different genres of music (80's classic rock, pop, electro, disco,...)

So far so good, i'm really enjoing the X3...they sound really good, but the X2HR/00 are more "fun". Not hearing much sibilance from these headphones.

I will do another listening session tonight with some hard rock, metal and hip-hop music.

As for confort, the padding (head band) of the X2 are more softer and comfortable than X3.

FIDELIO X.jpeg
Wow, you really like the Philips!

Feb 27, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #1,776 of 1,969
Wow, you really like the Philips!
I've had the Fidelio X1 when it came out then sold it and bought the X2 half price (same sound but new cable upgrade), then got the Fidelio X2HR/00 last year (sounds much better than X2, with more clarity)...and i was waiting to get the Fidelio X3 at a lower price. The X2 is only used for watching movies, the X2HR/00 for music.

I think the Fidelio X series are good sounding headphones for the price (around 100€-150€) for someone wanting a "fun" and dynamic sound, with good soundstage:L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #1,777 of 1,969
I've had the Fidelio X1 when it came out then sold it and bought the X2 half price (same sound but new cable upgrade), then got the Fidelio X2HR/00 last year (sounds much better than X2, with more clarity)...and i was waiting to get the Fidelio X3 at a lower price. The X2 is only used for watching movies, the X2HR/00 for music. I think the Fidelio X series are good sounding headphones for the price (around 100€-150€) for someone wanting a "fun" and dynamic sound, with good soundstage:L3000:
You should only keep the one you like the most, sell the others and save money to buy a real upgrade around 500€

Feb 27, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #1,778 of 1,969
You should only keep the one you like the most, sell the others and save money to buy a real upgrade around 500€
That's what i usually do, have bought and sold headphones in the last 15 years (Meze 99 Classics, AKG 701, AKG Q701)...I've put the X2 on sale but they're not worth much now, might as well keep them for spare parts (especially for the earpads). I'm still keeping the X2HR, love their sound and confort, i'll wait a bit if i keep the X3. I own already the AKG K712 for listening and music production, i sometimes like using analytical headphones (next upgrade would be the Austrian Audio Hi-X65).

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #1,779 of 1,969
I don't know. That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation. The X2HR doesn't really have a lot in common in the sound profile with the X3, so it would make sense to have both, if you like the X2HR (I do not).
And it is not like it's ever a bad idea to have multiple headphones with different purposes in different settings. :)

Off of the top of my head, I have
1. Bed, movies with Ipad (Philips X2HR)
2. Computer, solid state (Philips X3)
3. Computer, valves (Sennheiser HD650)
4. Computer, headset (Sennheiser PC360)
5. Cooking, cordless (Oneplus Bullet Z)
6. Portable, phone (Sennheiser Amperior)
(7. Work, closed (not yet made a decision))

You can't have enough headphones if you have enough use out of them. I have trialed a lot of headphones, but only kept the ones that were great, or bad but at least comfortable (X2HR, Bullets) enough that it was worth it anyway. I also personally have not found a more expensive headphone yet that was worth over having an array of lower-tier options. Life has made me sell off these alternatives, but I could see others wanting to hang on to theirs. :)

I am not trying to diss your choices, just say that different people have different uses. Shrug.

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #1,780 of 1,969
I'm really enjoying what i hear with the Fidelio X3, will be keeping them for sure !
The confort is good, clamping force is tight but not crushing my ears (small head) , a little lighter than X2.
They still have that X2HR "flavour", i don't see this headphone as a upgrade though...but sounds a little better (more clean).
Versatile, they will suit on many different genres of music:)
The Fidelio X3 has good bass, deep and not overwhelming for my ears...tested on several tracks :
- Massive Attack "Angel"
- Ozzy Osborne "No More Tears"
- CHIC "Le Freak"
- Chaka Khan "I Feel For You"
- Kraftwerk "The Man Machine"
- Seal "Kiss From A Rose"
- Austra "Beat and The Pulse"

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #1,782 of 1,969
On amazon.pl you can bu them for 164$

I should get a pair today. They will probably replace lcd2c.

Are there any custom cables available?
Or an information how to DIY ?
There is a bit of information on previous pages. I have issues linking atm. Either the forums or phone is acting up. But if this is page 119 for you (I don't know if people change the posts/page setting or if there is one), page 116 should have the schematics on top for DIY/custom cables. Post #1726.
#1723 starts the conversation that concludes that all LCD-1 cables should be compatible.

You can also mod regular headphone cables, by bridging the tip with the ring on the right-side connector.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #1,783 of 1,969
I received my Dekoni Pads a few days ago. Now these are meant to replace/upgrade the pads on the X2/X2HR, but perfectly fit the X3's as well.
I purchased the Choice Leather and the Choice Suede to test both. I have tested both on the headphone sets and cannot decide which one I prefer on which...
Right now, I am listening to the Suede version on the X3, and I do prefer them over the stock pads.

It's hard to make an A/B comparison without having two sets of the same set playing with different pads at the same time.
Now I will admit the I was close to sending them back, but since changing out the pads, I am having reservations.
Will add more later. Please keep in mind, I am a noob here :relieved:

Mar 11, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #1,784 of 1,969
I have the Dekoni choice suede. They improve comfort, but the sound it's off. I only tried them a few times, but if i remember correctly it gave them an unnatural sound to the mids, and the upper mids/treble was affected negatively.
I didn't spend much time with them on, but it didn't sound good.
I am listening to the right now with the Suede as well. The Choice Leather I have not put on yet... Not really sure I notice anything drastic but, I am not a "purest" so to speak like a lot of you on here with many fine-tuned ears. I just know what sound signature I like and do not.

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #1,785 of 1,969
I'm interested, looking forward further impressions. I really like the X3, so my fear is that the Dekoni pads might change / worsen the stock tuning. In this respect maybe the Dekoni Elite Velour could be the best option. Anyway, shame on you Philips: the pads are removable but not avalaible as spare parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back