Philips Fidelio X3
Oct 23, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,141 of 1,964
I don't think Joshua and DMS bash the X3 for their improved technicalities in comparison with the X2s, but for their departure in tonal character. It is the position they take in. They are less fun than the X2s (the whole point of X2s existence) and they are less neutral and resolving than the HD6XXs, HD58Xs and Sundara's. So there is little to no reason getting a pair. I get their point, but what if someone wants a fun pair of headphones that is slightly more neutral-ish tuned?
Reading my post back in the reply of cel4145 I want to reply myself by saying: Yes I agree, Josh and DMS are less fun than the X2s and less neutral and resolving than the HD6XXs, HD58Xs and Sundara's. LOL
I should have typed: It is the position the X3s take in...

Oct 23, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #1,142 of 1,964
Yikes! Look at that graph. I definitely wouldn't have goten a pair if saw that graph first. This is worse than a Beyer peak LOL
https://www.lbtechreviews.com/test/headphones/philips-fidelio-x3
1603395264458.png
The first graph shows the peak at +5db.above 1khz, The second graph shows the peak at +9db relative to 1 khz.
The first graph shows strong bass down to 20hz. The second graph shows a strong roll off down to 20hz.
Two different measuring methodologies as well as different graph lay out.

The first graph shows 10 db deliniations. The second shows 5db deliniations. The second graph would make everything stick out more to the eye.
In listening I suspect the 5db elevation above 1khz would be more what one would perceive, rather than the second graph's 9db elevation.

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #1,143 of 1,964
Oct 25, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,145 of 1,964
If someone wants a 1.2m cable for their X3:

This works: https://www.amazon.com/NEOMUSICIA-R...d=1&keywords=B01J9V298Q&qid=1600720806&sr=8-1

This doesn't work: https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-...ywords=NewFantasia&qid=1600719824&sr=8-6&th=1

NewFantasiaDirect sent me both to test. 10 days shipping from China to Norway. :thumbsup: Very good service.

The one that worked, acted just like the original one. L on R / R on L = No sound.
The one that didn't work, had sound on left with both L and R, but no sound on the right (well, if I just inserted it half way in, it actually worked)

Thanks for sharing that. I ordered the Neomusica version. Which on Amazon US, comes from NewFantasia. So must be another brand of theirs.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #1,146 of 1,964
Well that was all very interesting :) 77 pages of info :)
I know this is gonna throw a cat amongst the pidgeons so to speak but
The X2HR ( one of the very many headphones I own ) can be modded to tame the slightly annoying metalic sibliance it has with some recordings very easily :)

I seem to recall it has been mentioned before .. I added some fine cotton wool face wipes ( split into 2 from 1 ) and a HD 25 felt pad under the original pads ( takes a bit of hit and miss ) but this reduces the "splash" it has in that grating female vocal area .. and by some margin improved "bass extension" for some reason ( no idea why ) !
.. for me this kept the FUN aspect of the X2HR and tamed the vocal issues it has..
after all this tampering
why not just save up and buy a Audeze LCD 2 classic ?

The X2HR is great with electronic music ...
The LCD 2 classic is great with just about anything..

Just thought I would mention this also.. I have an old pair of Grado SR125i's modded with the "holes mod" ( 4 of them ) and the Bowls cups .. and they sound frighteningly like the X2HR's !!! Fun ,Lively, open and detailed.... and cost pennys second hand with just a bit of playing about :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #1,147 of 1,964
why not just save up and buy a Audeze LCD 2 classic ?

Who wants to throw 550g on top of their heads? They may not bother you, but they sure do bother me. And that's one of their lighter headphones. I careless how good they sound, if I cannot wear them for an extended period.

And if I have to mod a HP to like it, than it's probably not a good purchase in the first place.

But hey, too each his own.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,148 of 1,964
Who wants to throw 550g on top of their heads? They may not bother you, but they sure do bother me. And that's one of their lighter headphones. I careless how good they sound, if I cannot wear them for an extended period.

And if I have to mod a HP to like it, than it's probably not a good purchase in the first place.

But hey, too each his own.

I forgot how easy it is to post a blank reply on here by accident ... lol
We all have different likes and dislikes..
In all my years now of being into headphones I am yet to find one that suits all my needs... The closest to being spot on are the Planars.. but even they do not come close to a very good pair of speakers and a good hifi setup !!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,149 of 1,964
Well I just did that with the X2s, I put some cotton wipe thingies (they are almost the exact size of the driver) over the driver, in this case 1 for each driver and without a HD 25 felt pad and I must say it works as a charm, better than any EQ. That said, still more sibilant than the X3s though.
And I wouldn''t go for the LCD2C's either....

EDIT: Nope. I removed the Wipe thingies again, the sound got too thin and a bit compressed.
It work better if they are placed in the earcup rather than direct over the drivers. But still, I don't like the hassle.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #1,150 of 1,964
" And if I have to mod a HP to like it, than it's probably not a good purchase in the first place. "

Can't say I have many HP's I havent modded in some way to improve ( to my tastes at least ) over the years !
Even my LCD 3's are modded a little to improve the mid bass responce.

Can't say my LCD headphones are more comfy that the X2HR's that's true , but then , I can certainly listen for over an hour with no issues :)

Also worth mentioning at least In my opinion the L2 is a better sounding headphone than the X2HR for all purpose use.... and improves with a good amplifier to drive them than the X2 does !!

and a good second hand pair of DT1350's will give any of them a good run for the money spent !! they are touchy about head positioning .. but when they sing they are very good !

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #1,151 of 1,964
"
Well I just did that with the X2s, I put some cotton wipe thingies (they are almost the exact size of the driver) over the driver, in this case 1 for each driver and without a HD 25 felt pad and I must say it works as a charm, better than any EQ. That said, still more sibilant than the X3s though.
And I wouldn''t go for the LCD2C's either.... "

The HD 25 foam pads just take that little extra off :)
worth some playing around with !!!

I suspect I made my X2HR sound more like the X1 ... ( alas I don't have a pair of X1's to compare )

What don't you like about the LCD2C's btw way ?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,152 of 1,964
"
EDIT: Nope. I removed the Wipe thingies again, the sound got too thin and a bit compressed.
It work better if they are placed in the earcup rather than direct over the drivers. But still, I don't like the hassle. "

probably depends on what they are being driven with as well of course :)
I had the in the ear cup as well initially but the cotton wool came off and made a mess of the earpads :frowning2:

I don't have a pair of HD650's .. I do have HD595's and always found them very dry and laid back .. have you ever heard the two side by side ?

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #1,153 of 1,964
"
It work better if they are placed in the earcup rather than direct over the drivers. But still, I don't like the hassle. "

probably depends on what they are being driven with as well of course :)
I had the in the ear cup as well initially but the cotton wool came off and made a mess of the earpads :frowning2:

I don't have a pair of HD650's .. I do have HD595's and always found them very dry and laid back .. have you ever heard the two side by side ?
I actually don't mind the ocassional sibilance or grain with the X2s, I got other headphones if I want something smoother. For me it is all about character and flavor. Unless I want something more neutral, like this week I ordered a pair of Avantone Planars.
That said, if a simple mod (without much hassle) would make a pair really sound amazing I am still open for that.
No, I never heard the HD595s. But I don't find the HD650s to be dry and not that laid back as well. True, the treble appears to be rounded in comparsion with other headphones, but to my ears their treble is perfect. The mids are very "there" and the bass isn't extended, couple that with highs that aren't extended so to some ears this may be perceived as dry. But there is enough spatial information and a sense of soundstage. No, I don't find them to be dry sounding at all.

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #1,154 of 1,964
I actually don't mind the ocassional sibilance or grain with the X2s, I got other headphones if I want something smoother. For me it is all about character and flavor. Unless I want something more neutral, like this week I ordered a pair of Avantone Planars.
That said, if a simple mod (without much hassle) would make a pair really sound amazing I am still open for that.
No, I never heard the HD595s. But I don't find the HD650s to be dry and not that laid back as well. True, the treble appears to be rounded in comparsion with other headphones, but to my ears their treble is perfect. The mids are very "there" and the bass isn't extended, couple that with highs that aren't extended so to some ears this may be perceived as dry. But there is enough spatial information and a sense of soundstage. No, I don't find them to be dry sounding at all.

I will have to get a pair of HD650's sometime and give them a whirl :)

I find that my X2's work best with my Dared valve amplifier ( modded also ) , They are a bit too "lively" on the Audeze Deckard

The LCD's are lush and huge sounding on the Dared but cluttered !

I have some HD480iis that are modded and they are great with the Deckard amplifier :)

Its all personal after all, and as long as we enjoy the music at the end of the day thats all that really matters :)

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #1,155 of 1,964
" this week I ordered a pair of Avantone Planars "
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on these :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back