Philips Fidelio X3
Oct 20, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #1,111 of 1,969
If I want a set that's less sibilant/bright, and with sub-bass, what do I choose (if I get to sell my X3s, I can't afford having multiple sets)?
I like mostly everything else about the X3s, but my taste of music demands more bass and a more relaxed treble. (I don't like the sharp sssss...)
Do I pick a closed set? I am intrigued by the Focal Elear, and it's reviews, but I guess it's too expensive for me.
Anyone heard the Senn' HD560S, which is quite cheap?

Before the price drop, I returned my X3 in favor of the SHP9600 have you heard those? They are warmer and less bright, and I think they sound good with everything.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #1,112 of 1,969
If I want a set that's less sibilant/bright, and with sub-bass, what do I choose (if I get to sell my X3s, I can't afford having multiple sets)?
I like mostly everything else about the X3s, but my taste of music demands more bass and a more relaxed treble. (I don't like the sharp sssss...)
Do I pick a closed set? I am intrigued by the Focal Elear, and it's reviews, but I guess it's too expensive for me.

I forgot about the Sennheiser HD599, they sound close to the X2HR, but a bit better.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #1,113 of 1,969
Before the price drop, I returned my X3 in favor of the SHP9600 have you heard those? They are warmer and less bright, and I think they sound good with everything.
I haven't heard them. There's not many places I can go to hear headphones before buying here. So I have to rely on reviews, or advise from others.
The SHP9600 is not available in any stores in Norway I see.. :O

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #1,115 of 1,969
Thanks for the tip, I see the HD599 have got good reviews. I don't like their looks and colors, but that shouldn't be an issue... :)

Yes the brown and tan color is gross. I have the Black versions which are exclusive to Amazon. I don't know what the situation is with Amazon and Norway, but I buy most of my headphones from there and take advantage of their return policy. I'll buy 2 or 3 at a time and decide which one I like then return the others.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,116 of 1,969
I forgot about the Sennheiser HD599, they sound close to the X2HR, but a bit better.
What do you mean?
Wouldn't the X2 have better bass, separation, stage?
Wouldn't HD599 be calmer, less bass, stage, a more neutral sound?

I took a look at the price of the DT1990 is pulled for me :frowning2:
I think I'll end up selling my HE400i and go back to an X2, I don't think the X3 is used at a good price yet, although yesterday it was 200USD on amazon.

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #1,117 of 1,969
What do you mean?
Wouldn't the X2 have better bass, separation, stage?
Wouldn't HD599 be calmer, less bass, stage, a more neutral sound?

I took a look at the price of the DT1990 is pulled for me :frowning2:
I think I'll end up selling my HE400i and go back to an X2, I don't think the X3 is used at a good price yet, although yesterday it was 200USD on amazon.

To my ears the X2HR and HD599 sound very similar. The differences being that the X2HR has a slightly higher bass boost which bleeds into the midrange making the mid bass a bit muddy. The HD599 are not a neutral headphone. I also think the HD599 are more comfortable as well. They are a fair alternative to the X2HR.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #1,118 of 1,969
Going into detail about plucked violin strings which are a tiny bit more obvious with the HD650s etc. but then stating that I overall find the X3s to be more engaging, with better soundstage (whether this soundstage is artifically created or not).

I got mine in yesterday. I agree with you. So far, more engaging to me than HD650s because of that larger soundstage. And I like the bass better.

Are people that are wedded to their HD6XX and think they are the best headphones ever going to like the X3? Probably not.

Are people that like the HD6XX, but also like other sound signatures going to like the X3 better? Quite possibly. If the X3 were $200 headphones, based on my experience so far, I would certainly recommend them quite frequently. I suspect that the average person looking for their first pair of good headphones in the $200 range could easily choose the X3 over the HD6XX. They might also choose the HD560S over HD6XX (and X3), which I also got in today and am trying out.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #1,119 of 1,969

Why not just EQ them and run them through a tube amp... tube amps with the right tubes used are wonderful things to smooth out highs (will lose some low end punch though, but probably gain a bit better extension). My TH-X00PHs on tube amp have a much smoother and little bit tamer treble which makes them much less fatiguing for long listening than on solid state amp. You will also get the unmatched separation and sense of space you can only get with tubes.

Focal Elear... I would recommend caution on it if you don't like weird treble... VERY wonky treble with hyper detail shoved in your ear that gave headache within an hour of listening... I very much did not like it. The Focal Clear is MUCH better than the Elear and would be the Focal I'd recommend. Maybe there's mods that can tame the Elear to make it better though...

The X3 would be a headphone I've been interested in... but unsure if it would even work for me. Love it's design, but it's probably too neutral for my taste....the X2HR were very good to me but could have used a little clearer sound with a little more low end to be perfect. Propriatary earpads are also kind of a turn off. Modded Porta Pros and modded TH-X00 Purplehearts are my two most favorite headphones, much prefer them over the Sennheiser HD6 series or any planar. Even kept them while letting go of all the e-stats I use to have - I value a euphonic and full sounding presentation over a tight, lean, technical sounding pesentation.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #1,120 of 1,969
Yes the brown and tan color is gross. I have the Black versions which are exclusive to Amazon. I don't know what the situation is with Amazon and Norway, but I buy most of my headphones from there and take advantage of their return policy. I'll buy 2 or 3 at a time and decide which one I like then return the others.

LOL... I love the brown and tan color of my HD 599. But I can totally get that it's not universally adored -- it's hardly an uncontroversial choice in colorway.

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,121 of 1,969
Hi @TJ Max,

So the SHP9600 is a warmer, smoother treble choice than the X3? I felt the X3 lacked musical cohesion, due to a mechanical sound and lack of warmth.

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,122 of 1,969
Hi @TJ Max,

So the SHP9600 is a warmer, smoother treble choice than the X3? I felt the X3 lacked musical cohesion, due to a mechanical sound and lack of warmth.

I would say this is true.
1603229706505.png

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,123 of 1,969
I'm really enjoying the X3. When I compare the HD560S against each other by looking at individual performance characteristics, I keep thinking the HD560S is better. But from a pure engagement with the music perspective when I stop paying so much attention to what the headphone is doing, I'm liking the X3 more. A case of where the whole presentation is more than a sum of its parts.

I'm also finding that I really like the X3 for jamming to hard rock at loud volume without it being fatiguing. For example, Tool Rosetta Stone, Shinedown Fly from the Inside, Zeppelin Whole Lotta Love, Mad Season Locomotive, Soundgarden Black Rain and Muse Hysteria (which sounds like mud with many headphones). HD6XX was also non-fatiguing, but not nearly as engaging. It's the different treble response, the particular bass emphasis, and the soundstage.

It does seem to highlight sibilance in a recording a little bit more compared to my other headphones when I come from listening to the HD560S. But then I stop noticing after my brain adjusts.

I haven't really compared either of these two headphones to my other headphones yet. Still trying to get used to these to.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,124 of 1,969
A case of where the whole presentation is more than a sum of its parts.
Exactly that.
It's the different treble response, the particular bass emphasis, and the soundstage.
Yes, that bass got some real punch, but not in a fatiguing way, it doesn't hit hard, it just gives the bass some extra push and drive. Bass drum sounds pretty authentic.

Oct 21, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #1,125 of 1,969
Exactly that.

Yes, that bass got some real punch, but not in a fatiguing way, it doesn't hit hard, it just gives the bass some extra push and drive. Bass drum sounds pretty authentic.
How many hours of listening does your X3 have?

Does this metallic sound you refer to, wouldn't it be a matter of waiting for a break-in / burn-in 200/300 hours?

I saw other headphones play much better after burn-in, I know a lot of people think this is bull, but I don’t know what that is hahahaha.

I'm waiting for a used X3 or promo bug from amazon but I only see 250/350 which is a lot for this phone, compared to the 99 to 140 of the x2.
But the x3 is beautiful D +, I hope to get a used one soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back