Philips Fidelio X3
Oct 29, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #1,171 of 1,969
I used to own the LCD-3. Started as a pre fazor, drivers failed, so new drivers had the early fazors, failed in 2017 so had the "improved fazors" the original version I enjoyed the extra resolution bump from the LCD-2 but apart from that they didn't offer anything special at all. It depends on your definition of godlike but as a guitarist they destroy strings with their off timbre and female vocals are heavily recessed. Audeze phones all offer clean low end extension but many people seem to have it in their head Audeze phones have this incredible bass, they really don't without EQ it's just flat, undistorted bass which is nice for EQ calibration.

Natural timbre to me is the most important aspect of a headphone, along with distortion. Why I didn't list FR is if you have the other two traits, the FR is yours to play with using EQ. Even Audeze know their headphones need and sound better EQ, their target is off, that tent at 1k after a linear response is off and the massive dip then rebound at 6k or 5k depending on the lottery of the drivers adds more oddities.

The Philips X3 has a more natural response then the LCD-3. The LCD-3 though like most planers are technically semi open so they will have their inherent traits but strictly timbre, cohesion, X3 is even favord.

Well if the X3 is that good ! it will do very well :)

I got a pair of Original X1's yesterday ( mint condition for £50 ) and first impressions ! I prefer them to the X2HR ( shock horror )
They are more forgiving of poor recordings ( a lot like the LCD2 ( original non fazor version ) have great width and feel more impactful than the X2HR .. and softer at the top end .

maybe not as Hi-Fi as the X2HR as such , but still great fun.. as I suspected the Mods I made to my X2HR bring it closer to the X1 in many ways.. I suspected that might be the case..

With reference to LCD3 and any of these X series Fidelios ( the LCD 3 is a lot better !!! ) try playing very complex loud recordings on both the LCD 3 and any of these Fidelios and the differences are more apparent..

The X1 and X2HR sure are FUN though !!!!
and very good value for Money :)
Damn comfy too !!

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #1,172 of 1,969
I used to own the LCD-3. Started as a pre fazor, drivers failed, so new drivers had the early fazors, failed in 2017 so had the "improved fazors" the original version I enjoyed the extra resolution bump from the LCD-2 but apart from that they didn't offer anything special at all. It depends on your definition of godlike but as a guitarist they destroy strings with their off timbre and female vocals are heavily recessed. Audeze phones all offer clean low end extension but many people seem to have it in their head Audeze phones have this incredible bass, they really don't without EQ it's just flat, undistorted bass which is nice for EQ calibration.

Natural timbre to me is the most important aspect of a headphone, along with distortion. Why I didn't list FR is if you have the other two traits, the FR is yours to play with using EQ. Even Audeze know their headphones need and sound better EQ, their target is off, that tent at 1k after a linear response is off and the massive dip then rebound at 6k or 5k depending on the lottery of the drivers adds more oddities.

The Philips X3 has a more natural response then the LCD-3. The LCD-3 though like most planers are technically semi open so they will have their inherent traits but strictly timbre, cohesion, X3 is even favord.

While I understand opinions are opinions I'm a multi-instrumentalist and all of this is just hilarious to me. "As a guitarist" makes it sound like because you play an instrument it means your ears understand the sound better than people who don't, ignoring the fact that how your guitar sounds when you're sitting at home playing it has absolutely nothing to do with what it sounds like after it's been recorded/mixed/processed/mastered for an album.

You may enjoy the presentation that the X3 offers more, and that's a-okay. I used to have the X2 and I prefer them to loads of high-end offerings from Grado or HiFiMan, but to sit here and talk about how they "destroy strings" is flat-out comical. But hey, I don't have your ears. Maybe yours have something going on in there that makes you hear things that way. LCD-3 + Questyle cma400i remains my favorite combination I've ever used. No EQ, no alterations. Just as it is. And that's the final thing I'll say on this issue to avoid derailing it and because I can tell this argument is going nowhere.

Back to the X3. I'm not feeling confident in the other reviews I'm seeing that are calling it not much of an upgrade over the X2 so much as a "change." Given that I really liked my old X2 I might as well buy another pair for the $130 they're going for now.

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,173 of 1,969
That said... If I was forced to have only one pair of headphones at all for Films, music, and use without all my fancy amps...
The X1 is pretty much as good as it gets ....

I have several Senn's and the X series Fidelio's
in my opinion are better value for money for what you get out the box.... diminishing returns as they say... £2000 more gets you 10% better sound ....

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,174 of 1,969
Well if the X3 is that good ! it will do very well :)

I got a pair of Original X1's yesterday ( mint condition for £50 ) and first impressions ! I prefer them to the X2HR ( shock horror )
They are more forgiving of poor recordings ( a lot like the LCD2 ( original non fazor version ) have great width and feel more impactful than the X2HR .. and softer at the top end .

maybe not as Hi-Fi as the X2HR as such , but still great fun.. as I suspected the Mods I made to my X2HR bring it closer to the X1 in many ways.. I suspected that might be the case..

With reference to LCD3 and any of these X series Fidelios ( the LCD 3 is a lot better !!! ) try playing very complex loud recordings on both the LCD 3 and any of these Fidelios and the differences are more apparent..

The X1 and X2HR sure are FUN though !!!!
and very good value for Money :)
Damn comfy too !!

I've always preferred the X1s to the X2s personally, I find the highs to be smoother and more natural sounding, but in case you haven't done this already don't use the stock cable on the X1s. This isn't some "cable magic" nonsense, I don't believe in fancy cables improving sound, but Philips packed a cable with unusually high resistance with the X1s which negatively affects the bass response, so even swapping in a cheap cable will make an improvement.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,175 of 1,969
While I understand opinions are opinions I'm a multi-instrumentalist and all of this is just hilarious to me. "As a guitarist" makes it sound like because you play an instrument it means your ears understand the sound better than people who don't, ignoring the fact that how your guitar sounds when you're sitting at home playing it has absolutely nothing to do with what it sounds like after it's been recorded/mixed/processed/mastered for an album.

You may enjoy the presentation that the X3 offers more, and that's a-okay. I used to have the X2 and I prefer them to loads of high-end offerings from Grado or HiFiMan, but to sit here and talk about how they "destroy strings" is flat-out comical. But hey, I don't have your ears. Maybe yours have something going on in there that makes you hear things that way. LCD-3 + Questyle cma400i remains my favorite combination I've ever used. No EQ, no alterations. Just as it is. And that's the final thing I'll say on this issue to avoid derailing it and because I can tell this argument is going nowhere.

Back to the X3. I'm not feeling confident in the other reviews I'm seeing that are calling it not much of an upgrade over the X2 so much as a "change." Given that I really liked my old X2 I might as well buy another pair for the $130 they're going for now.

The X3 should not be evaluated as improved X2. It is a different sound profile.

This is a flaw in reviews that do that, because it's putting their expectations into the review, rather than evaluating the headphone for what it is. IMO, makes the reviews worthless because that can be stated in one sentence: the X3 is not an unimproved X2.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #1,176 of 1,969
The X3 should not be evaluated as improved X2. It is a different sound profile.

This is a flaw in reviews that do that, because it's putting their expectations into the review, rather than evaluating the headphone for what it is. IMO, makes the reviews worthless because that can be stated in one sentence: the X3 is not an unimproved X2.

Yeah I think the idea that this was gonna be an improved X2 has skewed expectations. Given how many times the Fidelio line has changed hands in terms of ownership and production since the X2 was originally design more than half a decade ago, it seems very likely that the X3 was designed by an entirely different team with an entirely different sound philosophy in mind, even if it's possibly based on a similar driver. In retrospect it really shouldn't be a surprise that it might sound very different.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,177 of 1,969
I've always preferred the X1s to the X2s personally, I find the highs to be smoother and more natural sounding, but in case you haven't done this already don't use the stock cable on the X1s. This isn't some "cable magic" nonsense, I don't believe in fancy cables improving sound, but Philips packed a cable with unusually high resistance with the X1s which negatively affects the bass response, so even swapping in a cheap cable will make an improvement.

Oh yes you are right... the bass has tightened with a different cable ( the one that came with the X2HR in fact !!! ) not heard a cable change make that much difference before !! Thank you...

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #1,178 of 1,969
Oh yes you are right... the bass has tightened with a different cable ( the one that came with the X2HR in fact !!! ) not heard a cable change make that much difference before !! Thank you...

Glad it helped! There was a lot of discussion about the crappy stock cable back in the day in the X1 thread here

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,179 of 1,969
Glad it helped! There was a lot of discussion about the crappy stock cable back in the day in the X1 thread here

Hmmmm actually I have given it a go with a nice pure Silver cable i had handy and the difference from the stock cable is not just bass, its better control all the way through :) great advice ...

hard to believe how good the X1 is second hand at £50 ...

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,180 of 1,969
Yeah I think the idea that this was gonna be an improved X2 has skewed expectations. Given how many times the Fidelio line has changed hands in terms of ownership and production since the X2 was originally design more than half a decade ago, it seems very likely that the X3 was designed by an entirely different team with an entirely different sound philosophy in mind, even if it's possibly based on a similar driver. In retrospect it really shouldn't be a surprise that it might sound very different.

Yep. It does seem like either a different design team, or management decided that a different sound profile would better suit the market.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying my X3. I keep my Focal Elears next to my desk. Which I really like. And I haven't used the Elears in a few days. The X3s are definitely a keeper for me.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #1,182 of 1,969
Have they arrived ???
Have they ???
No not yet and it is kinda starting to piss me off because I explicitly asked about the delivery time and if the Pro Planars could be delivered at all, since they were removed from some sites with the mention "no longer available". I was told that they could be shipped pretty fast, in 3-5 days. I know, it is only 7 days ago since I ordered them, but I don't think I am going to get them any time soon. Just a hunch, true, but most of the times this hunch is right on the money...money I already paid and that never feels great.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,183 of 1,969
No not yet and it is kinda starting to piss me off because I explicitly asked about the delivery time and if the Pro Planars could be delivered at all, since they were removed from some sites with the mention "no longer available". I was told that they could be shipped pretty fast, in 3-5 days. I know, it is only 7 days ago since I ordered them, but I don't think I am going to get them any time soon. Just a hunch, true, but most of the times this hunch is right on the money...money I already paid and that never feels great.

Damn .. I was looking forward to some sensible reviewing from you !! regarding these .. The YouTube channel gushes about them a little to much for my liking...

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,184 of 1,969

Fingers crossed for you that will arrive soon :)
nothing worse than waiting for new headphones and being kept waiting...

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,185 of 1,969

Did you order them from https://www.thomann.de/gb/avantone_...KIa2xzGzKrvJgcd-GInuSY7CMAg1MuGBoCWYgQAvD_BwE ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back