Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 8, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #631 of 1,964
I figured it out. I tried it a couple of times again and there seems to be only one way to connect them. The correct way: you get sound and the left ear cup gets the sound of the left channel, the right ear cup the sound of the right channel. The wrong way: no sound at all.
It may be only my unit, a tiny difference in plugs and connection, because usually connecting the wrong way will give you reverse stereo.
Are the plug for the earcups TRS? If they're simple TS, I caan't see any reason why they wouldn't work if you switched sides

Sep 8, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #632 of 1,964
I figured it out. I tried it a couple of times again and there seems to be only one way to connect them. The correct way: you get sound and the left ear cup gets the sound of the left channel, the right ear cup the sound of the right channel. The wrong way: no sound at all.
It may be only my unit, a tiny difference in plugs and connection, because usually connecting the wrong way will give you reverse stereo.

That doesn't bode well for aftermarket cables

I actually ordered these for the X3s. Will they work?? Should I cancel the order?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6L7NT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sep 8, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #633 of 1,964
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #634 of 1,964
I just cancelled my order. Going off of what I've been reading about these and the 9600 it seems like what people were speculating earlier is unfortunately accurate. They just took the same driver with a slight tweak and put it into a new shell so they could jack the price back up.

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #636 of 1,964
Can you plug a R cable into a R cup, and a L cable into a L cup?

If so, then you should be fine.
I guess I can manage that :)
But if you read the posts I were quoting, it was a little strange that there's no sound when connecting L to R / R to L? Thought maybe there could be some extra "trickery" with the original cable...

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #637 of 1,964
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #639 of 1,964
Did you regret your "snarky" response? :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
No, I'm sorry I don't have a multimeter. Maybe Mink have got one?

No, I later realized that the Amazon link you provided was to a 3rd party cable.

I thought it was the Amazon link to the X3 itself. So since my post didn’t make sense, as I don’t know anything about the 3rd party cable you posted, I edited it to be more relevant.

Your reading skills were faster than my typing skills apparently :)

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #642 of 1,964
Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #643 of 1,964
Did you regret your "snarky" response? :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
No, I'm sorry I don't have a multimeter. Maybe Mink have got one?
No, I don't have a "multimeter"? What is that?
Maybe other owners of the X3s can confirm that connecting the plugs the wrong way (L to R and R to L) results in no signal, no sound?

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #644 of 1,964
My wp900 has the same type of markings on the cables - black on black... Brilliant 🤨.
Josh V reviewed the 9600. He called it an lazy attempt. I hope the X3 is different. He will be reviewing it soon.
I just watched the Josh Velour video and he says there are some tweaks to the sound.
The treble was smoothed out and less sibilant and the bass was increased.
So if the x3 has made some tweaks to the sound as compared to the x2, the x3 will sound similar to but slightly tweaked, as compared to the x2.
That remains to be seen, but if that's the case it won't be the same sound, exactly.
Lazy attempt is an opinion. Some people may not feel that way.
I'm going to go way out on a limb and say the x3 may sound very similar , but slightly tweaked.

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #645 of 1,964
No, I don't have a "multimeter"? What is that?
Maybe other owners of the X3s can confirm that connecting the plugs the wrong way (L to R and R to L) results in no signal, no sound?
A multimeter, also known as a VOM (volt-ohm-milliammeter), is an electronic measuring instrument that combines several measurement functions in one unit. (Wiki)

Do you think this replacement cable (1.2 meters) I ordered will work on the X3s? It's labelled R and L.
But since the X3s don't work with R/L / L/R, maybe there's some "mumbo jumbo" with the original cable??

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6L7NT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back