Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #661 of 1,964
I will do a proper comparison between other headphones in time, but I want to point out again how similar they are in tonality to the HD650s.
So easy on the ears, very natural and gentle flowing.
Some differences:
Soundstage.
The width of the X3's is mostly the same as the HD650s, but with some recordings instruments escape out of their confined space and give you a sudden hint of a much bigger picture. Sense of depth and 3D is bigger with the X3s. This is in one aspect because of a slight recessed midrange and a bit more extended highs. But mainly because the stereo image isn't that extremely panned between left and right, but rather evenly filled out and rounded.
Details and resolution.
The HD650 are more articulate, not exactly with an emphasize, but you generally get more texture and micro details.
Timbre.
Very good on the X3s. In an earlier post I stated that technically the X3s are in the same league as the ATH-A900Xs, I no longer stand behind this. The X3s are very close in timbre and naturalness in tone as the HD650s, but, this becomes an annoying cliche, in the higher frequencies the HD650 are unbeaten. The X3s highs are smooth and non fatiguing, but still a bit uneven and not always without grain, a tiny bit of grain I must emphasize. No steeliness, no ringing, no sharp peaks, just at times a very slight resonating textured thingy, an artifact that is seperated from the full treble tone.
Bass.
To my ears very similar to the HD650s. Slightly less bloom and maybe slightly less textured as well. The bass does go a bit lower, but not much.
Midrange.
Slightly less upfront and intimate. More airy than the HD650s. From bass to lower mids it sound very linear, it doesn't have the bloom in the sound, like the HD650s or more obvious the NightHawks. Still the sound isn't without warmth. Definitely warmer than Beoplay H6s, AKG K550 MKIIs and Denon D5000s.
Dynamics
Not the most dynamic sounding. In this regard they are similar to the BeoPlay H6s, but more engaging all the same. The HD650s are definitely more dynamic, both in macro dynamcis like big orchestral crescendos and micro dynamics, like sudden rhythmic accents and subtle musical dynamic shifts. Overal the HD650 shows bigger contrasts between quiet passages and louder ones.

This description actually sounds a lot like the X2s with a less of an upper bass hump. Obviously can't say without someone making a direct comparison to the X2, but the soundstage depth, the slightly recessed midrange, the uneven, slightly grainy treble are all things I'd use to describe the X2. Really seems like they may have just slightly re-tuned the X2 driver

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #662 of 1,964
The people who unboxed the X3 on YouTube also answered in the comments that the X3 has quiet a bit less bass than the X2's
I am mostly ineterested in soundstage though, but seems like it actually is similar to the X2, we'll see.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #663 of 1,964
The people who unboxed the X3 on YouTube also answered in the comments that the X3 has quiet a bit less bass than the X2's
I am mostly ineterested in soundstage though, but seems like it actually is similar to the X2, we'll see.
If the bass on the x3 is close to the bass on the hd 650, then it may have less bass than the the x2.
I own the x2 and hd 6xx and the x2 has more bass than the hd6xx. Not above 100hz. but below 100hz.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #664 of 1,964
This description actually sounds a lot like the X2s with a less of an upper bass hump. Obviously can't say without someone making a direct comparison to the X2, but the soundstage depth, the slightly recessed midrange, the uneven, slightly grainy treble are all things I'd use to describe the X2. Really seems like they may have just slightly re-tuned the X2 driver
That's interesting. I watched the Josh Velour review of the shp9500 and shp9600 and he felt that the shp9600 was a slight retu
ning of the shp9500.
Both Philips headphones.

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #666 of 1,964
That's interesting. I watched the Josh Velour review of the shp9500 and shp9600 and he felt that the shp9600 was a slight retu
ning of the shp9500.
Both Philips headphones.

Yeah that would make sense, it saves them money to use the same driver and simply re-tune it and update the aesthetics

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #667 of 1,964
It's not just a business decision. They want to stay close to the name they've built for themselves with the x2* and give people an improved version of the old model. If it wasn't like the old x2, they shouldn't name it x3.

* = though quite a lot of that name was 'open backs with bass' so the new tuning does deviate from that

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #668 of 1,964
It's not just a business decision. They want to stay close to the name they've built for themselves with the x2* and give people an improved version of the old model. If it wasn't like the old x2, they shouldn't name it x3.

* = though quite a lot of that name was 'open backs with bass' so the new tuning does deviate from that

Yep. And retuning can be a good thing for the headophile community. Well I'm sure there were HD600 fans who were disappointed that the HD650 wasn't a new driver with similar tuning, Sennheiser's choice turned out to be an awesome thing for headophiles.

Now as far as the price difference between X3 and X2HR, X1 started out pretty pricey, and eventually dropped to I think $125 or so. X2 started out at $350, and we see where it is now. X3 will likely also drop after Philips recoups some of their development costs. Might just have to wait a year or two for it to get closer to $200.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #669 of 1,964
Yep. And retuning can be a good thing for the headophile community. Well I'm sure there were HD600 fans who were disappointed that the HD650 wasn't a new driver with similar tuning, Sennheiser's choice turned out to be an awesome thing for headophiles.

Now as far as the price difference between X3 and X2HR, X1 started out pretty pricey, and eventually dropped to I think $125 or so. X2 started out at $350, and we see where it is now. X3 will likely also drop after Philips recoups some of their development costs. Might just have to wait a year or two for it to get closer to $200.
I never had the X2 so can't say for sure. But the X3 looks more enticing than the X2. Since the moment I know a bit about EQ'ing my headphones, it wouldn't be much of an issue to increase the lows by 2-3dB.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #670 of 1,964

That's true. The X2 was itself only a slightly retuned and updated X1. This is at least a bigger change than between the X1 & X2

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #674 of 1,964

I wish the reviewer would have said more about the treble region of the X3's. I owned a pair of X2HR's and loved their PRaT and how good they sounded and would have happily lived with them as my daily drivers, but there was too much energy in the treble region so I got rid of them. I think it would have been helpful if the reviewer had gone into detail about the differences (or lack thereof) in treble between the X2's and the X3's.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #675 of 1,964
s couple owners and still no picture of the bounty yet? seems people are pretty unenthusiastic about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back