Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 13, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #691 of 1,964
If I would have to give one negative: they aren't that dynamic sounding. The NightHawks, though some will disagree, are pretty dynamic despite their laid-back signature. The Owls even more. The Fidelio X3s are like a passive participant. They are all in for the ride, but in the end they don't want to get their feet wet. Similar to the BeoPlay H6s.

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #692 of 1,964
Yes, with some recordings I felt there was a slight uneveness, but switching to the HD650s it made me question this. The little amount of grain I described in an earlier post I didn't notice in the last sessions I had with them. I feel the treble of the X3s overall is a bit thinner and it sticks out a little bit more because the mids are a bit recessed compared to the HD650s. But there's no hardness, no steeliness or sibilance, it just is perceived as slightly brighter and thinner.

Thanks for that.. i guess now I wait for some measurements to pop up - i'm very sensitive to treble issues so i will hold out a bit.. what you say is promising however.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #693 of 1,964
Thanks for that.. i guess now I wait for some measurements to pop up - i'm very sensitive to treble issues so i will hold out a bit.. what you say is promising however.
The difference in treble between HD650s and X3s becomes more apparant when watching Youtube commentary videos. With speech the HD650s are clearly smoother and more natural, the X3s may pretty well get fatiguing after a while to some. Actually in some instances the X3s highs reminded me a bit of Denon D5000's treble. Not nearly as peaky, but it finally gave me an understanding why at the time some people felt the D5000s sounded like a closed-back HD650. With some Youtube commentary videos it felt like the X3s are the 2nd step in a metamorphosis from the HD650s into the D5000s. LOL

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #694 of 1,964
If I would have to give one negative: they aren't that dynamic sounding. The NightHawks, though some will disagree, are pretty dynamic despite their laid-back signature. The Owls even more. The Fidelio X3s are like a passive participant. They are all in for the ride, but in the end they don't want to get their feet wet. Similar to the BeoPlay H6s.
Compared to me, you have all the lingo explaining the sound of a set of headphones.
I just have something less "expertly" to say: I would like more bass, especially sub-bass.
On certain music (like some hip hop), the sub bass make the X3 breathe and sound like a small bookshelf speaker :triportsad:
Maybe this is what you call "balanced sound", and "it's the way the music should sound like", but again... I miss a little depth, and a little more oomph :)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #695 of 1,964
Well, I am pretty treble sensitive. I don't find the X3s to be sibilant or overly bright in the treble region. I find them to be smoother than my Denon D5000s, B&O BeoPlay H6s and AKG K550MKIIs.
Hope that will give you some perspective.
What kind of music do you listen to?
I've heard several examples where I had to turn down the volume, because the sss's are hard to listen to.
I guess I'm not quite used to these detailed and open headphones, which reveals a lot more details compared to my other gear?

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #696 of 1,964
Compared to me, you have all the lingo explaining the sound of a set of headphones.
I just have something less "expertly" to say: I would like more bass, especially sub-bass.
On certain music (like some hip hop), the sub bass make the X3 breathe and sound like a small bookshelf speaker :triportsad:
Maybe this is what you call "balanced sound", and "it's the way the music should sound like", but again... I miss a little depth, and a little more oomph :)
I agree, their sub bass isn't any better than that of the HD650s. I don't mind it though.
You don't need the lingo to describe things, as long as you know what you like and dislike. Actually, all those words I use to describe them doesn't it make me look a bit pretentious anyways? :)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #697 of 1,964
What kind of music do you listen to?
I've heard several examples where I had to turn down the volume, because the sss's are hard to listen to.
I guess I'm not quite used to these detailed and open headphones, which reveals a lot more details compared to my other gear?
Mostly classical music and indie/alternative.

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #698 of 1,964
I agree, their sub bass isn't any better than that of the HD650s. I don't mind it though.
You don't need the lingo to describe things, as long as you know what you like and dislike. Actually, all those words I use to describe them doesn't it make me look a bit pretentious anyways? :)
It could make you look pretentious, if you use them without knowing what you're talking about. In this case, it seems you are very knowledgable so you're good. :)

Typically, it's very easy to just mention the negative expericences.
Mostly they sound very good, and I find myself laying back with my eyes closed and just enjoy the details and clarity. They are so wide/airy/open (pretentious? :) ) compared to my BT headphones. I haven't had anything that's close to what voices sound like on the X3s for example. (Listen to the Kari Bremnes MQA recordings in Tidal Hifi... amazing)

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #699 of 1,964
It could make you look pretentious, if you use them without knowing what you're talking about. In this case, it seems you are very knowledgable so you're good. :)

Typically, it's very easy to just mention the negative expericences.
Mostly they sound very good, and I find myself laying back with my eyes closed and just enjoy the details and clarity. They are so wide/airy/open (pretentious? :) ) compared to my BT headphones. I haven't had anything that's close to what voices sound like on the X3s for example. (Listen to the Kari Bremnes MQA recordings in Tidal Hifi... amazing)
Whow, please keep the pretense low :) Yes, they are pretty open and airy sounding. But not without warmth I must say.

Sep 13, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #701 of 1,964
Dang, if the X3's are lacking in dynamics then that's a deal breaker for me because dynamics and PRaT are what I value most in music playback equipment. The thing that I like most about the X2's is their dynamics, but like I've said their excess treble energy fatigues me after a while. Hopefully the Sivgas that I've got coming will be keepers.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #702 of 1,964
Dang, if the X3's are lacking in dynamics then that's a deal breaker for me because dynamics and PRaT are what I value most in music playback equipment. The thing that I like most about the X2's is their dynamics, but like I've said their excess treble energy fatigues me after a while. Hopefully the Sivgas that I've got coming will be keepers.
Note that I mention this with mostly classical music as a reference. There it becomes more apparent. Bigger contrasts (orchestral crescendos) are handled decently, but they fail a bit in micro dynamics. Instruments do not 'pop' as much as with the HD650 and the Nightbirds.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #703 of 1,964
\
Note that I mention this with mostly classical music as a reference. There it becomes more apparent. Bigger contrasts (orchestral crescendos) are handled pretty good, but they fail a bit in micro dynamics. Instruments do not 'pop' as much as with the HD650 and the Nightbirds.
You mean the 'micro details'?

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #704 of 1,964
Note that I mention this with mostly classical music as a reference. There it becomes more apparent. Bigger contrasts (orchestral crescendos) are handled decently, but they fail a bit in micro dynamics. Instruments do not 'pop' as much as with the HD650 and the Nightbirds.

What about a track like this? It’s the fun sort of track the X2 and X2HR was perfect for, so I’m curious how the X3 does.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #705 of 1,964
\

You mean the 'micro details'?
This goes hand in hand. With classical music there's this real ebb and flow in the music. Over a long period but also in a single bar, like sudden instrumental attacks. An instrument group that underlines a thing by suddenly playing a bit louder or with more emphasis. With the HD650s and the Nightbirds this really pops, the X3s remain a bit observant. There is less contrast.
The X3s let's you hear all the micro details, but without much contrast in loudness between those details, if I make sense here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back