Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #706 of 1,964
What about a track like this? It’s the fun sort of track the X2 and X2HR was perfect for, so I’m curious how the X3 does.

The HD650s give more 'drive' to this track, maybe because the sound is more intimate? the X3s on the other hand are more spacious. But their bass goes a bit deeper, is tighter and hits harder. The HD650 is softer sounding. Dynamically there isn't that much difference.

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #707 of 1,964
This goes hand in hand. With classical music there's this real ebb and flow in the music. Over a long period but also in a single bar, like sudden instrumental attacks. An instrument group that underlines a thing by suddenly playing a bit louder or with more emphasis. With the HD650s and the Nightbirds this really pops, the X3s remain a bit observant. There is less contrast.
The X3s let's you hear all the micro details, but without much contrast in loudness between those details, if I make sense here.

So what do you think causes this difference? There shouldn't be any DSP that compresses the dynamics in these types of head phones.
I'm wondering if you are describing the transient response, that is what is described as "sudden attacks" of instruments in the music. I believe it is attributed to the speed of which the driver is able to push multiple frequencies without distortion. The HD600 series have a more closed in sound so frequencies may reach your years fast enough, or it could be that the X3 needs more burn in to have the diaphragms loosen up.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #708 of 1,964
No, I mean dynamics, not transient response, there clearly is more contrast in loudness in musical passages with the HD650s and the NightBirds, I know what I hear and experience.
I don't know what causes this, I am not that technical :)
I can only describe what I hear in a musical context, not as purely sound or information. There is less of an ebb and flow with the X3s. But I wouldn't say the X3s sound compressed.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #709 of 1,964
No, I mean dynamics, not transient response, there clearly is more contrast in loudness in musical passages with the HD650s and the NightBirds, I know what I hear and experience.
I don't know what causes this, I am not that technical :)
I can only describe what I hear in a musical context, not as purely sound or information. There is less of an ebb and flow with the X3s. But neither would I say the X3s sound compressed.

Well I don't know how long you've had them, but I hope they improve over time. I ordered mine from Amazon several days ago but they are back ordered until next month apparently. I owned the X2HR for a short time though and if there is any likeness between it and the X3, I didn't think I'd enjoy it for classical music either. They are too V shaped. Currently I'm listen to the SHP9600 that I ordered at the same time. I really am enjoying these, they are a large improvement over the SHP9500. I've mostly been listening to electronic music. Ambient and IDM but I haven't explored my classical music collection yet.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #710 of 1,964
Well I actually like them very much with classical music, even if they are less dynamic. Their sound is very spacious and have enough depth. Their timbe and tonality is very natural. I don't find them overly V-shaped. Less so than the Denon D5000s. And true, I find them to be less dynamic than the headphones I mentioned, but I am not saying they are without any dynamcs :)

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #711 of 1,964
Besides the Nighthawks being better at dynamics, what other differences are there between the X3? Overall which one you think is better for your ears?

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #712 of 1,964
The NightHawks without question. Tonally the X3s clearly are better, more natural, no huge dip around 1k and without a big, soft and slow bass that blooms all over the low mids. But the NightHawks are more engaging, with more meat on the bones, that 'bloom' in their sound is so eargastic, their timbre is slightly better, resolution is bigger and their soundstage is more 3D with excellent layering. And as a bonus: they never fatigue.
So far the X3 didn't cause any fatigue, but there were some moments they were close.
But I really do like the X3s, they don't need any time to adjust. the NightHawks do, every time I listen to them after I have used a different pair for a while, my ears miss something. But once adjusted they are 'right' in every way.

Sep 13, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #713 of 1,964
Interesting comparison. I agree the Nighthawks have that bloom in the bass that can sometimes get in the way. One thing I have found that can clean up some of that bloom is thru a silver cable swap and also thru other tweaks like adding IFI Purifier in the chain or even a power conditioner.

Would you say the X3 is a good complementary headphone to the Nighthawks?

Sep 13, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #714 of 1,964
Yes they are. Not as much as an antidote, because the X3s are far from cold and analytical, but as a more balanced consumer grade HD650-like pair of headphones.
And they are less 'thick' as the NightHawks, they have a more airy quality, less intimate.

Sep 13, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #715 of 1,964
Sounds good, thanks.

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #717 of 1,964
IMG_0555.JPG

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #719 of 1,964

The X3s sound stellar with this recording. Bass is very articulate, tight but with enough belly and the drum sounds spectacular, the micro details and yes even the micro dynamics are excellent.
And this sounds gorgeous as well:

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #720 of 1,964
Do we have a frequency response chart for these yet?
No, unfortunately. I don't have the equipment and I probably never will :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back