Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 8, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #616 of 1,964
They arrived. A day sooner than expected.
They look absolutely gorgeous. Built quality is a notch better than the Sennheiser HD650s, because of the metal and leather. But the overall feel is definitely not 'premium'. I think it is mainly because of this peculiar smell of the leather that is used, which reminds me of the smell of leather sneakers and not the expensive Italian sneakers, but rather the thin leathered Adidas and Puma sneakers you'll find at a Foot Locker.
The fit is tight/snug, similar to the HD650s.
Sound. First impressions. Nothing stands out, even balanced, smooth, but a bit thin treble, no obvious peaks or dips. The bass is a bit 'flabby, similar to the HD650s, but the soundstage is better rounded. A bit wider and it is as if some sort of cross-feed is activated, not the three blobs stage. Vocals are more airy, less full than HD650s.
So far I like what I hear.
Oh, for those who wonder how they compare to the Fidelio X2s, I don't know, I never auditioned them.

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #617 of 1,964
They look absolutely gorgeous. Built quality is a notch better than the Sennheiser HD650s, because of the metal and leather. But the overall feel is definitely not 'premium'. I think it is mainly because of this peculiar smell of the leather that is used, which reminds me of the smell of leather sneakers and not the expensive Italian sneakers, but rather the thin leathered Adidas and Puma sneakers you'll find at a Foot Locker.
Sound. First impressions. Nothing stands out, even balanced, smooth, but a bit thin treble, no obvious peaks or dips. The bass is a bit 'flabby, similar to the HD650s, but the soundstage is better rounded. A bit wider and it is as if some sort of cross-feed is activated, not the three blobs stage. Vocals are more airy, less full than HD650s.
Oh, for those who wonder how they compare to the Fidelio X2s, I don't know, I never auditioned them.
Oh boy, it's getting more enticing for me to order one soon too! I'll wait when €207 :p
It's very good news it arrived! I was skeptical as the Directsale is the only one webstore that actually sells them.

I can relate with the leather smell. The first time when my T5p.2 arrived, the smell is just gorgeous :3 But of course, the smell won't stay longer unless keeping it in vaccum... The smell will vanish anyway.

The bass is what it makes it very nice for gaming and movies. But definitely on my list!

Sep 8, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #618 of 1,964
I expected them to be more sensitive, but they are not very efficient. I have to crank the voulme up quite a bit, again very similar to the HD650s.
I have to listen more, but resolution and timbre wise the HD650s are superior. Technically I think the Fidelio X3s are in the same league as the Audio Technica ATH-A-900Xs.
Nothing wrong with that, it is all about effortless, easy-going music making.

Sep 8, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #619 of 1,964
Update!

I got them working again after some extensive troubleshooting. It seems there are some intermittent connection problems in the right shell of the headphones for me. Will still try to get them switched with warranty however.
I am considering returning them as well. Since the plugs that go in the earcups don't have any left and right indications I disconnected the plugs from the earcups and switched them to see if it would make any difference in sound. Suddenly there wasn't any sound. I plugged them the way I had before, still no sound. I then tried it a couple of times again, unplgging and plugging and after a while they gave sound again. But this doesn't give me much confidence...

Sep 8, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #620 of 1,964
I am considering returning them as well. Since the plugs that go in the earcups don't have any left and right indications I disconnected the plugs from the earcups and switched them to see if it would make any difference in sound. Suddenly there wasn't any sound. I plugged them the way I had before, still no sound. I then tried it a couple of times again, unplgging and plugging and after a while they gave sound again. But this doesn't give me much confidence...

"no confidence" is an understatement. That's terrible.

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #621 of 1,964
There's indications on my cables...

Attachments

• IMG_5629.PNG
    IMG_5629.PNG
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #622 of 1,964
I figured it out. I tried it a couple of times again and there seems to be only one way to connect them. The correct way: you get sound and the left ear cup gets the sound of the left channel, the right ear cup the sound of the right channel. The wrong way: no sound at all.
It may be only my unit, a tiny difference in plugs and connection, because usually connecting the wrong way will give you reverse stereo.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #623 of 1,964
You're right! Damn! But you have to look very very closely in bright light...and with glasses on LOL. And even then you have to turn the plug a couple of time to notice it.
I am such a fool...
Well that explains it. So apparantly no sound when wrongly connected.

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #626 of 1,964
You're right! Damn! But you have to look very very closely in bright light...and with glasses on LOL. And even then you have to turn the plug a couple of time to notice it.
I am such a fool...
Well that explains it. So apparantly no sound when wrongly connected.

This means that there will be Amazon Warehouse deals available on brand new, perfectly fine X3.

Buyers will hook them up wrong, and send them back thinking they’re defective. Amazon will test them and they’ll be fine, but they’ll have to sell them at a discount as used on Amazon Warehouse.

ohhh yeahhh baby bring it on :L3000:

I bought a $500 mint headphone once for almost the same reason. It was a brand new open box return for a “bad driver” in 1 side. I bought them from the liquidator for $40. I assumed I would have to install new drivers or maybe resolder some internal wires to get them working. It turns out the customer just didn’t push the 3.5mm cable into the cup all of the way (it was really stiff because the jack was new). I literally did nothing to get them working again, other than plug the cable in properly haha

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #627 of 1,964
Can't wait to hear the final impressions. What other headphones will you be comparing the X3 to besides the HD650 ?

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #628 of 1,964
I think AudioQuest NightHawk/Owl, AKG K550 MKII and Audio Technica A900Xs

Sep 8, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #629 of 1,964
I think AudioQuest NightHawk/Owl, AKG K550 MKII and Audio Technica A900Xs
Nice thanks. I have the AQ Nighthawk Wood and have heard the Owl as well.

Sep 8, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #630 of 1,964
I figured it out. I tried it a couple of times again and there seems to be only one way to connect them. The correct way: you get sound and the left ear cup gets the sound of the left channel, the right ear cup the sound of the right channel. The wrong way: no sound at all.
It may be only my unit, a tiny difference in plugs and connection, because usually connecting the wrong way will give you reverse stereo.

That doesn't bode well for aftermarket cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back