Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 5, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #586 of 1,964
Come on, someone that has decent gear to test them needs to get them so you can tell the rest of us how they really sound...

#takeonefortheteamboys

Sep 5, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #587 of 1,964
Come on, someone that has decent gear to test them needs to get them so you can tell the rest of us how they really sound...

#takeonefortheteamboys

Best piece of equipment is a pair of ears :)

Sep 5, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #588 of 1,964
I missed out. The product is no longer in stock. Which is weird, because the last time I checked it said 25+ in stock....

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #589 of 1,964
I think if we knew the magic of predicting future prices, we would all be buying stocks and not headphones :)

Just order it. In the grand scheme of things, is a few euros difference on a $350 headphone really going to make a difference? What’s your happiness and stress of not worrying about it worth? YOLO!

You would make a terrible stock broker--but a fantastic headphone analyst/broker!

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #590 of 1,964
I missed out. The product is no longer in stock. Which is weird, because the last time I checked it said 25+ in stock....
Maybe you're lucky and you're saved from all the troubles from Directsale. So you don't have to waste time and effort to get your money back or they might come up with lame excuses like "shipped today and tracking is sent to your email" and in reality, tracking was never actually sent. Just not sure because on Tweakers it's full of bad reviews. It is indeed weird and I checked it many times each day and now out of stock?

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #591 of 1,964
I got the SHP9600 to try. It sound pretty good! I actually enjoy it much better than the SHP9500 due to its less treble energy and smoother sound. The details are all still there but unlike the SHP9500, it is less fatiguing to me.

There is something extremely wrong about electric guitars. It's like the AMP bass was turned up to 11. Do you notice this?

I find everything sounds great except there is this hollowness / oddness to the mids. They remain detailed but there is just a weird... Hollowness to it.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #592 of 1,964
Bright is a pretty useless term as it's relative. For example, every other headphone is deemed as bright to an HD650/HD6XX fanboy. lol

that is because HD650 is the gold standard for neutral/smooth frequency response and coherent tonality.. anything which is "brighter" than an HD650 is typically not as correctly balanced. When you buy speakers, do you want them to be neutral so they can convey exactly what the artist intended, or do you want them to have a permanent eq that increases high/low frequencies so you don't hear what the studio engineer/artist intended?
If the X3 can come close to the HD650 it'll be a success.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #593 of 1,964
that is because HD650 is the gold standard for neutral/smooth frequency response and coherent tonality.. anything which is "brighter" than an HD650 is typically not as correctly balanced. When you buy speakers, do you want them to be neutral so they can convey exactly what the artist intended, or do you want them to have a permanent eq that increases high/low frequencies so you don't hear what the studio engineer/artist intended?
If the X3 can come close to the HD650 it'll be a success.

I don't think that there's a common consensus that the HD650 are the gold standard for neutral sounding. Warm, smooth, mid centric sure but also rolled off subbas and treble....

Personally I hope that the X3s are better.

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #594 of 1,964
that is because HD650 is the gold standard for neutral/smooth frequency response
I don't think that there's a common consensus that the HD650 are the gold standard for neutral sounding. Warm, smooth, mid centric sure but also rolled off subbas and treble....

Personally I hope that the X3s are better.

I completely agree, I have nothing against HD650 but what a curious idea to say HD650 is « gold standard ».

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #595 of 1,964
I have now listened to my X3s for about 10-15 hours since I got the Dragonfly Cobalt. I still enjoy them very much. Well most of the time.
IMO, they can be a little light on the bass side when playing certain types of music. Especially when playing some AOR/melodic rock, that's often is produced quite "thin" sounding. (I'm 50, so I have to sometimes listen to my 80s heroes :) ) The low "rumble" (sub bass) you find in Rap/Hip hop music are also something I find lacking a little bit too.
When listening to a freq sweep vid on Youtube, they are not starting to really "move" before about 35-40hz and up. Playing those Bass test tracks on YT, also proves that these cans are not for bassheads. You have to turn the volume up quite high to get them going...(and then the highs are almost too high... I was not sure I dared to write bright.. :) )
And I've mentioned "no sibilance" before, but on some tracks they actually are a little sibilant. Especially at a fairly high volume.
As I've said, they are paired with a Cobalt. Maybe it's not the ideal match I was hoping for? I chose the Cobalt because of its convenience/area of use and also price. (paid €250 for the X3, and €208 for Cobalt.)
To be fair, I don't have any comparable equipment. (Sony WH-1000XM3, Senn' MTW2, Lypertek Tevi, Oneplus Bullets Wireless 2, Apple Airpods Pro :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, so just BT sets)

Edit: I've been mostly testing them with Tidal Hifi/Master from my HTPC. (like it when the Cobalt go purple... :L3000: )

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #596 of 1,964
I completely agree, I have nothing against HD650 but what a curious idea to say HD650 is « gold standard ».

It is touted as one of the most neutral and cohesive headphone currently on the market alongside the HD600. Yes it does lack some sub bass, but even so it still comes out on top thanks to it's smooth frequency response.

There are many reputable sources that mention this over the years, from Sonarworks to forums with good quality measurements to back their claims. There's a good reason it's used across many studios, for referencing and mastering music alongside speakers.

If the X3 can give me similar smooth frequency response, with a touch of extra sub bass and low distortion, i would be very happy. The X2HR showed promise, unfortunately it has a slightly rough/uneven treble unlike the HD650

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #597 of 1,964
Maybe you're lucky and you're saved from all the troubles from Directsale. So you don't have to waste time and effort to get your money back or they might come up with lame excuses like "shipped today and tracking is sent to your email" and in reality, tracking was never actually sent. Just not sure because on Tweakers it's full of bad reviews. It is indeed weird and I checked it many times each day and now out of stock?
Back in stock ???
1599386431507.png

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #598 of 1,964

Users who are viewing this thread

Back