Philips Fidelio X3
Jul 27, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #1,921 of 1,964
I have two sets of these is there anyway to mod the headband so it's not so tight on my head? It looks like a piece of fabric with a pulley system in the middle. I tried using zip ties to tie it up but then it doesn't fit the same.
I doesn't work for you? I doesn't change the fit for me .

btw. I hate these cans the highs are so brittle, earpads have a weird feel and bass is boomy.

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #1,922 of 1,964
Finally got a bargain, fidelio x3 for under £80, remember they were £299 at the time, i can't wait to see them against x2hr, which i also bought for similar price a year or two ago!

2023.08.26 update: best sounding was with: original pads + balanced 2.5mm way + Hidizs S9 Pro USB DAC, as with 3.5mm socket on LG v60 i would have needed to force high impedance mode, which i was too lazy to do, even if i could; steelseries net like pads - increased bass, sometimes even more than you would like to have, i guess, and pleather pads - completely too much bass for my likings, unbearable, haha, i would either return to original or net pads

My state after having both and x2 and x3: i could have stayed with x2 and returned to original pads, net pads are ok for x2 most of the time though. If i didn't have x2, and got x3 first, i wouldn't have looked at x2 at this point! Not very impressed with x3 over x2, but i love details, clear instrument separation, less bass than x2 is not a problem, spaciousness, that wide soundstage is good to have

Still have to test x3 with Fiio K5 Pro, the only highest powered DAC i have with my PC!

Fiio K5 Pro Update. Handles x3 very well, much better than listening on smartphones, warm, not boomy bass, a lot of details, handles rock and metal very well

Attachments

• 20230825_163938_HDR.jpg
    20230825_163938_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230825_165034_HDR~2.jpg
    20230825_165034_HDR~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230825_165503_HDR.jpg
    20230825_165503_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #1,923 of 1,964
Finally got a bargain, fidelio x3 for under £80, remember they were £299 at the time, i can't wait to see them against x2hr, which i also bought for similar price a year or two ago!

2023.08.26 update: best sounding was with: original pads + balanced 2.5mm way + Hidizs S9 Pro USB DAC, as with 3.5mm socket on LG v60 i would have needed to force high impedance mode, which i was too lazy to do, even if i could; steelseries net like pads - increased bass, sometimes even more than you would like to have, i guess, and pleather pads - completely too much bass for my likings, unbearable, haha, i would either return to original or net pads

My state after having both and x2 and x3: i could have stayed with x2 and returned to original pads, net pads are ok for x2 most of the time though. If i didn't have x2, and got x3 first, i wouldn't have looked at x2 at this point! Not very impressed with x3 over x2, but i love details, clear instrument separation, less bass than x2 is not a problem, spaciousness, that wide soundstage is good to have

Still have to test x3 with Fiio K5 Pro, the only highest powered DAC i have with my PC!

Fiio K5 Pro Update. Handles x3 very well, much better than listening on smartphones, warm, not boomy bass, a lot of details, handles rock and metal very well
...the only reason I purchased 2 additional sets of pads was the velour pads gets dirty so quick and its a pain in the arse to clean them. They do change the sound a bit though. I actually prefer the sound signature of the X3. I do use the X2HR as daily's though.

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,924 of 1,964
can confirm this 8 core cable from Ali works on Philips x3, short 1 metre, thanks who shared, happy!

Attachments

• 20230911_141429.jpg
    20230911_141429.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 27, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #1,925 of 1,964
Just bought these for 119€...For the price these are insanely good.

I have one question tho, my ear pads arrived pretty dirty, is it fine to soak them in water and let them completely dry before putting them back on?

Also how do I remove the earpads? They seem to sit very firmly in place, they don't seem to be removable by twisting the pads before pushing them out. :/

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #1,926 of 1,964
Just bought these for 119€...For the price these are insanely good.

I have one question tho, my ear pads arrived pretty dirty, is it fine to soak them in water and let them completely dry before putting them back on?

Also how do I remove the earpads? They seem to sit very firmly in place, they don't seem to be removable by twisting the pads before pushing them out. :/
haven't tried to wash, but wipe them randomly, as long as there are no hair around pads, hehe, also you just use your hands and fingers and unplug the pads out of their places, i did it with fidelio x2hr, same with x3, and i assume same with x1, which i never bought, pads never broke on me

Oct 1, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #1,927 of 1,964
haven't tried to wash, but wipe them randomly, as long as there are no hair around pads, hehe, also you just use your hands and fingers and unplug the pads out of their places, i did it with fidelio x2hr, same with x3, and i assume same with x1, which i never bought, pads never broke on me
I finally had the courage to snap them off, also soaked them in water and then let them dry for half a day. :)

For the price...The sound quality is really great, pretty natural with a large sound stage...But for me, the fact that they're made of mostly aluminium and real leather...Is it even possible to get that in any other headphone in a similar price range?

Oct 2, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #1,928 of 1,964
I finally had the courage to snap them off, also soaked them in water and then let them dry for half a day. :)

For the price...The sound quality is really great, pretty natural with a large sound stage...But for me, the fact that they're made of mostly aluminium and real leather...Is it even possible to get that in any other headphone in a similar price range?
i have been switching x3 with hd560s this previous month (but hd560s - more plastic) as stable daily drivers, i want to keep x3 and hd560s at first, and x2hr at 2nd, just cannot fully get rid of x2, because i like their bass. The only other headphone i was dreaming of getting next for comparison, was HD660s (but people say 560s has more clarity, x3 also has a lot of clarity, it's insane), but that will be 2x more expensive, hehe, if not 3x times.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #1,929 of 1,964
Sorry for the thread necro, but does anyone else find that the X3 sound better unbalanced? I've tried them balanced/unbalanced on both my Fiio K7 and Shanling UP4/22 and it sounds best unbalanced on the UP4. K7 was too much power, UP4 is not either bal/unbal but it sounds fuller and more mid-rangey unbalanced. Vocals seem fuller too. This is bizzarre.

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #1,930 of 1,964
Sorry for the thread necro, but does anyone else find that the X3 sound better unbalanced? I've tried them balanced/unbalanced on both my Fiio K7 and Shanling UP4/22 and it sounds best unbalanced on the UP4. K7 was too much power, UP4 is not either bal/unbal but it sounds fuller and more mid-rangey unbalanced. Vocals seem fuller too. This is bizzarre.
i still not sure, but tried x3 and hd560s in balanced and unbalanced way on a Shanling up4 Old One, really hard to tell

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #1,931 of 1,964

It’s very hard to volume match when switching back and forth from balanced to single-ended, so you may just be running them at a little higher volume on balanced when you’re making the comparison, even on the UP4

Nov 8, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #1,932 of 1,964
Hopefully not a silly question, looking at these on Amazon - and it only mentions detachable 3.5mm cable (and 6.33mm adapter), same for the Philips website, only showing the 3.5mm cable - is there an SKU where only the single ended cable is included, or - is the 2.5mm cable always included as well?

(To ask another way, has anyone ever received a pair with just the one cable?)

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #1,933 of 1,964
Hopefully not a silly question, looking at these on Amazon - and it only mentions detachable 3.5mm cable (and 6.33mm adapter), same for the Philips website, only showing the 3.5mm cable - is there an SKU where only the single ended cable is included, or - is the 2.5mm cable always included as well?

(To ask another way, has anyone ever received a pair with just the one cable?)
To the best of my knowledge a new package will come with both cables; mine included both cables. In my case I than had to buy a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter to use them with my iFi Zen DAC V2 in balanced mode, a pairing I would highly recommend.

Nov 9, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #1,934 of 1,964
Okay, I’ve just hit the trigger, Amazon Same Day delivery is a curse for my “gotta have it now” psyche.

I’ve downscaled quite massively in the past couple of years to the point where my reference point has become a pair of FiiO FD7 IEMs on a FiiO K7BT amp, so this will be interesting…

Nov 17, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #1,935 of 1,964
Feel strange returning to Phillips having started with t)Monster DNA then to fedelio X1 then to X2 and then to where I am today through the gammit, through lowfi through mid fi , hifi (Hekv2,Ether 2 etc etc all the way to the summit with my daily Susvara and Ca1a, JH Lola.

I recently bought ak Alpha Kahn and I run my Jh Lola from it and its excellent, but it takes time to insert since I only use Comply foams with them, takes a commitment to listen awhile to get a good seal.

wanted something to just throw on and plug in around the house for those "just a few minutes to listen" times.. I'm hopeful these will run off Alpha? And I've noticed that I can still appreciate cheaper gear having a Kz Pr1 that I love, made the choice to choose X3 over maybe a beyerdynamics T5 I was shopping around.. hope they are keepers found a pair for 65.00 on fs forum so we'll see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back