Philips Fidelio X3
Nov 20, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #1,936 of 1,964
To the best of my knowledge a new package will come with both cables; mine included both cables. In my case I than had to buy a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter to use them with my iFi Zen DAC V2 in balanced mode, a pairing I would highly recommend.
I am having problems finding a 3.5mm male to 4.4mm female adapter for my (otherwise excellent) balanced 4.4mm Open Heart cables for the X3.

I've tried the one for the Shanling M0 Pro (TRRS) but seems to be proprietary (?) / didn't work (sound comes from right ear cup only, though can come from both if placed at intermediate positions). The GUCraftsman (TRS) didn't work either (sound comes from left ear cup only, no matter at what position).

Any suggestions of adapters that do work or ideas as to why these adapters wouldn't? Cable is working finely with my DAC/AMPs.

The Geekria is unfortunately not available in 3.5mm to 4.4mm.

Nov 20, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #1,937 of 1,964
Quick question please.
Was thinking of getting the Philips Fidelio X3 headphones (£145), but looking at comments on this thread I am thinking the Philips Fidelio X2hr (£70) may suit my needs.
I listen to trance and also rock music, and the bass on the X2hr may suit my music tastes better.
Thoughts please.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #1,938 of 1,964
Quick question please.
Was thinking of getting the Philips Fidelio X3 headphones (£145), but looking at comments on this thread I am thinking the Philips Fidelio X2hr (£70) may suit my needs.
I listen to trance, rock music, and the bass on the X2hr may suit the music better.
Thoughts please.

I never listened to the X2HR, but X3 with leather pads = £500 headphones.

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #1,939 of 1,964
I never listened to the X2HR, but X3 with leather pads = £500 headphones.
Thanks, maybe I’m kidding myself thinking that I can get cheaper headphones that will compete with £500 IEMs but they sound genuinely poor in comparison - seeing that I’m already £160 in, I’ve just ordered some pleather pads… I’ll give up if they still don’t suit.

Here is hoping, I want to like the X3…

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #1,941 of 1,964
Nov 20, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #1,942 of 1,964
I am having problems finding a 3.5mm male to 4.4mm female adapter for my (otherwise excellent) balanced 4.4mm Open Heart cables for the X3.

I've tried the one for the Shanling M0 Pro (TRRS) but seems to be proprietary (?) / didn't work (sound comes from right ear cup only, though can come from both if placed at intermediate positions). The GUCraftsman (TRS) didn't work either (sound comes from left ear cup only, no matter at what position).

Any suggestions of adapters that do work or ideas as to why these adapters wouldn't? Cable is working finely with my DAC/AMPs.

The Geekria is unfortunately not available in 3.5mm to 4.4mm.
Hi,
Yes. iFi makes one. I use it on several headphones and it works great. So I suggest that one.
Regards
Fred

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #1,946 of 1,964
Hi,
That is a really weird accessory to look for :frowning2: I can't tell...
I use the 4.4 male to 3.5mm female :frowning2:
Regards.
No worries! Thank you nevertheless. Now I have a desktop DAC/AMP with balanced 4.4 output which I listen to on most occasions, but there are others where I need to switch to a 3.5 output and I'd like to do so without changing the whole cable at the earcups level. I hope that's not too weird! 😉 All best.

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #1,947 of 1,964
No worries! Thank you nevertheless. Now I have a desktop DAC/AMP with balanced 4.4 output which I listen to on most occasions, but there are others where I need to switch to a 3.5 output and I'd like to do so without changing the whole cable at the earcups level. I hope that's not too weird! 😉 All best.
It doesn't work like that - BUT - if using the stock 2.5mm cable, you could get an adapter like this to get 3.5mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-End...=2.5+balanced+to+3.5+jack,aps,93&sr=8-14&th=1 and get a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter as well, and hot-swap as you go...

Nov 22, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #1,948 of 1,964
Ah... For a brief moment, I thought that a manufacturer shipped a headphone with a 4.4mm cable attached !
Now I understand your needs better...

But what you can do is get an adapter like the one from iFi (or any other that does the same), switch the cable and just plug or unplug the adapter.

I assume you have a "better" cable in 4.4mm. So just try it : change the cable and put it on the 4.4mm and do a blind test : is there really an audible difference ?
I am asking because at some point, I broke a cable. I called the manufacturer (B&W no less) and he said "We can do a custom cable for you". I said "But will I not loose on quality ?" Replky was "For a headphone cable. Will make no difference and, if there is one, it will be so small you will not even notice".

So maybe it's worth a try ?

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #1,949 of 1,964
It doesn't work like that - BUT - if using the stock 2.5mm cable, you could get an adapter like this to get 3.5mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Ended-Balanced-Portable-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B08V97C1J2/ref=sr_1_14?crid=33YCJVW3H1H2T&keywords=2.5+balanced+to+3.5+jack&qid=1700652864&sprefix=2.5+balanced+to+3.5+jack,aps,93&sr=8-14&th=1 and get a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter as well, and hot-swap as you go...
Thank you so much @Duncan --and @PenguinHeadphoner too. I am giving it a last try and have ordered a 4.4 to 3.5 adapter by YY Audio. I suspect the GU Craftstmen was defective as no matter how much I slide the 3.5 connector through the headphone jacket, sound only comes out of one ear cup (with the Shanling I can make it come out of both if I place it in an intermediate position). If the new adapter still does not work I will surrender and adopt one of your options. The reason I am resistant to the stock cable, TBH, is not sound quality, as I doubt my OpenHeart cables, excellent and well-built though they are, will make that much of a difference sound quality-wise. The reason is that the X3 stock cables are so stiff and long, they get on the way as I type... I really dislike them.

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,950 of 1,964
Thank you so much @Duncan --and @PenguinHeadphoner too. I am giving it a last try and have ordered a 4.4 to 3.5 adapter by YY Audio. I suspect the GU Craftstmen was defective as no matter how much I slide the 3.5 connector through the headphone jacket, sound only comes out of one ear cup (with the Shanling I can make it come out of both if I place it in an intermediate position). If the new adapter still does not work I will surrender and adopt one of your options. The reason I am resistant to the stock cable, TBH, is not sound quality, as I doubt my OpenHeart cables, excellent and well-built though they are, will make that much of a difference sound quality-wise. The reason is that the X3 stock cables are so stiff and long, they get on the way as I type... I really dislike them.
Hi...

I wonder if you've fallen into the horrible Philips trap...

Normally (and, please - no-one pull me up if I have this back to front, this is for illustration purposes!) with the jacks that plug into the headphone cups, it is tip positive, bottom negative, happy days, but - Philips, they do it differently, theirs are left cable, tip positive, bottom negative, and the right cable, middle sector positive, bottom negative - don't ask me why, but - that is how you've just described it, what I feel your problem is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back