Philips Fidelio X3
Aug 16, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #1,606 of 1,964
Just ask yourself - does it make you smile when you listen to it? If not - move the X3 out of there. For me - the X2 continues to make me smile after 7+ years and it ain't going nowhere. Other headphones have come and gone....
The weird thing is that I still enjoy the X2 more than the X3, but overall less than before comparing the two. Some aspects of the X3 revealed some flaws that I had not noticed in the X2, and that now are quite apparent in several songs.

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #1,607 of 1,964
Can anyone listen to the first 30 seconds of Crazy Train on X3 and tell me if I am going "crazy" :)? I brought out of the closet all the headphones I own, the X2, some really cheap and old ones as well, Philips SHP5401, Pioneer SE-A1000, Superlux HD681 EVO, Sennheiser HD 569, German Maestro GMP 8.35 D, and the only one of the bunch that lacks "body" is the X3. The whole song sounds a bit hollow and slightly strange. I pumped up the volume and the bass now sounds a bit more natural, but the overall volume is too high for comfort.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #1,608 of 1,964
Can anyone listen to the first 30 seconds of Crazy Train on X3 and tell me if I am going "crazy" :)? I brought out of the closet all the headphones I own, the X2, some really cheap and old ones as well, Philips SHP5401, Pioneer SE-A1000, Superlux HD681 EVO, Sennheiser HD 569, German Maestro GMP 8.35 D, and the only one of the bunch that lacks "body" is the X3. The whole song sounds a bit hollow and slightly strange. I pumped up the volume and the bass now sounds a bit more natural, but the overall volume is too high for comfort.

What are you using to power them?

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #1,609 of 1,964
What are you using to power them?
A Fiio E17K Alpen 2. I dont't really have a better source. I have a Huawei P30 smartphone or the Realtek integrated audio in my laptop. Could it be the source that makes them sound unnatural with some instruments/frequencies. Looking at the frequency response, I couldnt't see any big spikes or dips in the bass guitar region.

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #1,610 of 1,964
A Fiio E17K Alpen 2. I dont't really have a better source. I have a Huawei P30 smartphone or the Realtek integrated audio in my laptop. Could it be the source that makes them sound unnatural with some instruments/frequencies. Looking at the frequency response, I couldnt't see any big spikes or dips in the bass guitar region.
Source is as much an influence in shaping/delivering the sound as the headphone itself.

I’m not hugely familiar with the E17K, it could be that it’s not being driven enough or it could just be the contrast between that and the X2 (which is a less refined sound and fuller in bass).

The important part is not to keep a headphone you’re not enjoying. Do you know anyone/have any nearby hifi stores where you could try another amplifier? If so maybe try that before you give up on them.

Personally I’d be inclined to say they’ve most likely not got the power they need.

Aug 17, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,611 of 1,964
Source is as much an influence in shaping/delivering the sound as the headphone itself.

I’m not hugely familiar with the E17K, it could be that it’s not being driven enough or it could just be the contrast between that and the X2 (which is a less refined sound and fuller in bass).

The important part is not to keep a headphone you’re not enjoying. Do you know anyone/have any nearby hifi stores where you could try another amplifier? If so maybe try that before you give up on them.

Personally I’d be inclined to say they’ve most likely not got the power they need.
The e17k should have plenty of power. I have an e12a (meant for iems) and it drives my X2 no prob. I haven't read anything about the X3 being any harder to drive…

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #1,612 of 1,964
The e17k should have plenty of power. I have an e12a (meant for iems) and it drives my X2 no prob. I haven't read anything about the X3 being any harder to drive…
I tried both headphones side by side recently but can’t remember if they were fairly equal to power. I don’t think they were too different off the top of my head.

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,613 of 1,964
Sorry, I'm just silly... I increased the Bass setting on the Fiio to +4 and the X3 sounds better now. The X3 does sound quite nice with classical and acoustic music. Piano, violin, cello notes are all rendered beautifully. On the X2 some piano and violin notes can have a bit of ringing, also low cello notes can sometimes sound a bit... "farty".
Edit: After going back and forth, even though the X3 is more clean/clear sounding with classical/acoustic, it's also less enjoyable. The X2 with all its flaws, produces a sound that is closer to a speaker than the X3, which produces a very controlled but slightly lifeless presentation. I don't even know if I like the X3 or not anymore. It's got a very particular sound.
Edit2: I decided to send the X3 back. Quickly summing up the experience for me: X2HR - Energy and emotion, maybe a bit sloppy sometimes. X3 - Clarity and control, but a bit lifeless, although not cold. Listening to Max Richter - On The Nature Of Daylight always gives me shivers with the X2, with the X3 I can appreciate the nuances of the song, but it doesn't convey the same emotion. Also the X2 is more comfortable for me, the X3 headband pulls a little too hard up so I sometimes have to pull the headphones down to readjust them. I have an average size head, so for a person with slightly larger head I think the X3 would be a tight fit.
The X3 works great with pop and other current music. The control really pays off as the bass is punchy and controlled, the voices are clear and actually less sibilant compared to the X2HR, and you can enjoy the music louder than the X2.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #1,614 of 1,964
Can anyone comment on the similarities/differences between the AKG k702 and the X3? Been curious to try them as I love the classical emphasis and soundstage on the X3 that the k702 apparently have too.

Cheers.

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,615 of 1,964
Can anyone comment on the similarities/differences between the AKG k702 and the X3? Been curious to try them as I love the classical emphasis and soundstage on the X3 that the k702 apparently have too.

Cheers.

The 702s are a bit bright and quite airy. Think "delicate articulate".

The X3s sound nothing like that....they are more meaty and defined in the Mids, closer soundstage, warmer overall tonality.
If you are looking for 2 headphones that sound nothing alike, you just picked them.

They are about as similar sounding as any Grado as compared to the HD650.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,616 of 1,964
I intend to replace the X3 that I returned with a HiFiMAN Sundara when I have the budget, maybe even wait for Black Friday. Does anyone own both? If so, how do they compare? Are the Sundara much harder to drive? Could I drive them and get good sound with my Fiio E17K Alpen 2, or I should think about a DAC upgrade as well? Thanks.

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #1,617 of 1,964
I intend to replace the X3 that I returned with a HiFiMAN Sundara when I have the budget, maybe even wait for Black Friday. Does anyone own both? If so, how do they compare? Are the Sundara much harder to drive? Could I drive them and get good sound with my Fiio E17K Alpen 2, or I should think about a DAC upgrade as well? Thanks.

Both are pretty easy to drive.
The X3 has a more full sound, warmer, while the Sundara has a Planar sound.... very different. So, if you didnt like the X3, it could be that you will love the Sundara.
A lot of people, including some "famous" Youtube reviewers, really like the Sundara.

Aug 19, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #1,618 of 1,964
Thanks for the reply. I think what I'm searching for is a headphone with natural timbre for most instruments. Where the X3 kinda failed with bass guitar and electric guitar especially. The X2HR just sounds more consistent with how the instruments sound on pretty much any other headphone/speaker that I head the songs on. What I did appreciate on the X3 was the better clarity and maybe resolution, also less grain compared to the X2HR. If the Sundara is clear sounding and instruments sound natural, it's the one for me.

Aug 20, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #1,619 of 1,964
I have been trying to sell my brand new X3 locally but there is just zero reaction to them. Why is there so little interest in a comfortable, well built and great sounding headphone like the X3? A pair of uncomfortable worn out Grado's are gone within a day or two.

Aug 20, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #1,620 of 1,964
The X3 are still getting nowhere near the level of recognition they deserve. Most people compare them to the X2HR and the general concessus seems to be that almost everyone online prefer the X2HR, but as a X3 only owner words can't describe how much I enjoy these cans.

It's only when I compare them directly with the only pair of planar I own, Monoprice M350, that I hear how their bass reproduction is lacking. But still, the genres I listen to the most don't suffer from it at all and I much prefer the X3 clarity to the bass accuracy of my tiny planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back