Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 17, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #15,196 of 15,268
heard good things about 300R, but will not try, at this point i think it's too much to be spent. But got x2hr, hd560s and akg k702, the last two are ten times better for online competitive gaming than x2hr for me, x2hr can get too boomy in online games compared to the other two, hard to pickup sound cues.. Comfort wise hd560s like most of the same shape sennheisers - very comfy, k702 also very comfy, but will look too big on your head.
Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

So how is the HD560s for music vs the X2HR?

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #15,197 of 15,268
Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

So how is the HD560s for music vs the X2HR?
less bassy vs more bassy, x2hr more "fun" like, hd560s easier to listen for very long sessions, and you can EQ them if you need more bass

Jun 25, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #15,198 of 15,268
This coming October will mark the 9th birthday of my X2 OG and it is sounding better than ever. I recently put together a Schiit stack comprised of Modi3/Magni3/Loki+ Mini/Sys and this stellar stack allows fine tuning to the max. Though I have always loved the fun sound of the X2 it is truly dialed in now. Gonna order the Vali2 ++ soon to fully complete the stack. Can't wait to hear the X2 through a good tube amp. A lot of headphones have come and gone, but the X2 is staying forever!!!

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #15,199 of 15,268
Yeah, X2 are a steal at the current price. The build quality is superb and can put much more expensive headphones to shame. The sound is also great and if you like U-shaped tuning with good bass (one of the best I've heard in open-back headphones), clear mids, well stretched treble and expansive soundstage - you won't be dissapointed. :smile_phones:

EDIT: Today I spent some time with my Fidelios and the only flaw I can see is the specific mounting of the pads, but it is possible to make this part on a 3D printer. I completely forgot how versatile these headphones are - they play both D'n'B and jazz really well.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #15,200 of 15,268
I loaned my X2HR to my brother when his Shure cans died. He had them for a couple months until he could afford a new headphone of his own, and when I got them back they smell like cat piss. I haven't worn them since, and this saddens me. Can I get any replacement pads that don't really change the sound much, or am I stuck buying a new X2HR pair?

If I have to replace the whole thing, should I get the X2HR or the X3? Used for mostly gaming and a wide smattering of music - alt, rapcore, rock, and hiphop.

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #15,201 of 15,268
I loaned my X2HR to my brother when his Shure cans died. He had them for a couple months until he could afford a new headphone of his own, and when I got them back they smell like cat piss. I haven't worn them since, and this saddens me. Can I get any replacement pads that don't really change the sound much, or am I stuck buying a new X2HR pair?

If I have to replace the whole thing, should I get the X2HR or the X3? Used for mostly gaming and a wide smattering of music - alt, rapcore, rock, and hiphop.
Try leaving the pads in a container with some coffee beans/grounds to get the smell out. I used to sell cars and the guys that detailed our trade-ins would do that sometimes if a car smelled like someone had smoked in it.
You can get replacement pads from Dekoni.... they feel great, but they do change the sound.
If you decide to just get new headphones, I would get the X3. For the price they are stellar. I have the x3 and the x2hr, if you asked me to just keep one, it would be the X3, no question.

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #15,202 of 15,268
Try leaving the pads in a container with some coffee beans/grounds to get the smell out. I used to sell cars and the guys that detailed our trade-ins would do that sometimes if a car smelled like someone had smoked in it.
You can get replacement pads from Dekoni.... they feel great, but they do change the sound.
If you decide to just get new headphones, I would get the X3. For the price they are stellar. I have the x3 and the x2hr, if you asked me to just keep one, it would be the X3, no question.
I’ve had them back for about 8 months and the smell has not diminished at all. I’m still annoyed, and he doesn’t care.

So, since the pad de-smelling won’t work, I guess I’m looking at a new pair. Why do you prefer the X3 over the X2HR? I enjoy some good bass, don’t like anything overly bright or sibilant - I’m very sensitive to it. I listen to rock, alt, rapcore, and hip hop the most, and they’ll be used for pc gaming and chatting. How’s the fit on the X3, are the cups just as big as the X2?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #15,203 of 15,268
I’ve had them back for about 8 months and the smell has not diminished at all. I’m still annoyed, and he doesn’t care.

So, since the pad de-smelling won’t work, I guess I’m looking at a new pair. Why do you prefer the X3 over the X2HR? I enjoy some good bass, don’t like anything overly bright or sibilant - I’m very sensitive to it. I listen to rock, alt, rapcore, and hip hop the most, and they’ll be used for pc gaming and chatting. How’s the fit on the X3, are the cups just as big as the X2?
Dekoni suede pads are a decent option as a replacement. I don't know if you're using something like a V-Moda Boom Mic for chat, if you are you won't be able to use that with the X3 as it's dual entry (not just the 3.5mm single entry on the left side). Just to be aware.

I've received some really nasty smelling headphones over the years (used on eBay). I used to put plenty of essential oil drops on some tissue, then stuff that and the headphones in a carrier bag. I'd tie it shut for a day.

Other option, use some shampoo and give your pads a hand wash. I've done that with plenty of mine over the years.

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #15,204 of 15,268
Dekoni suede pads are a decent option as a replacement. I don't know if you're using something like a V-Moda Boom Mic for chat, if you are you won't be able to use that with the X3 as it's dual entry (not just the 3.5mm single entry on the left side). Just to be aware.

I've received some really nasty smelling headphones over the years (used on eBay). I used to put plenty of essential oil drops on some tissue, then stuff that and the headphones in a carrier bag. I'd tie it shut for a day.

Other option, use some shampoo and give your pads a hand wash. I've done that with plenty of mine over the years.
I didn’t think of trying oils, which I already have a ton of. I put some Purify on a paper towel and shoved it plus the cups into a Ziploc bag. If it takes care of the smell, I’ll try washing them afterwards.

I use a standalone mic, so that isn’t an issue.

I’ll report back about the smell and cleanness.

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #15,205 of 15,268

I would rather get a new X2HR and learn from lesson: never let others use your headphones. How the (....) can someone let their cat piss on it?! Like for real?

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #15,207 of 15,268
I would rather get a new X2HR and learn from lesson: never let others use your headphones. How the (....) can someone let their cat piss on it?! Like for real?
Yeah. I was trying to help out my brother because he couldn’t buy any at the time. I wasn’t currently using them anyway. Lesson learned, again.
Maybe they were wearing them whilst enjoying a feline golden shower frenzy
Ewww…. *goes to throw them out* 🤮

Users who are viewing this thread

Back