Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #14,296 of 15,268
I too prefer the X2s over the HD650. To me the X2s have (warning: extremely subjective and personal opinion) wider soundstage, better treble extension, better bass and are way more dynamic sounding compared to the lifeless, bloomy and romantic sound from the HD650.

As you can imagine I don't care too much for the HD650. Their midrange is exceptional but that can't save them for me. Every time I use them I get bored after 15 minutes and shift to some other headphones.

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #14,297 of 15,268
Can definitely see why the call it a fun pair of headphones! I am suprised you like them better than the HD650s though, would you mind explaining why?

Call me mad but the only time I hear harsh trebles is when I have them at an extremely high volume (I feel they kind of get distorted this way, but I'm not sure how to phrase it. Still a newbie when it comes to audio terms lol), though I kind of feel you on the grainy part. EQ seems to solve the latter, but I don't really want to keep them that way as I feel it makes it more neutral and it takes away what makes the X2s fun in the first place.
Soundstage. The HD650s by no means have a poor soundstage, but it is panned from left and right and some in the middle, it is not evenly filled. True, they have beautiful tonality, some bloom which I like and a treble that is always well behaved, but their sound lacks depth and air. The X2s (and the X3s as well) present a more 3D surround sound, but without sounding weird or unnatural. I know this soundstage exists for a part because of their recessed mids, but I accept this compromise. And another flaw or shortcoming that works in favor for the X2s and X3s is that they are less resolving and transparant. It is hard to describe, but despite HD650 beautiful tonality they still sound like studio monitors. I never listen exclusively to music, but am constant aware of the recording techniques and mastering. The X2s and X3s are more 'consumer friendly'. They polish things, or leave things out. It is weird, but I find more pleasure in the X2s, even if their flaws are much bigger than HD650s (subjective) tiny shortcomings.

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #14,298 of 15,268
Yep, great choice. They have lots of flaws, but their easy going personality makes up for it. I enjoy them more than my HD650s. Even if I every now and then get stabbed by a treble peak or get spammed with some extra 'grainy' information I didn't ask for.
I can understand this. The HD650 and X2 were the first proper headphones I ever bought (years ago). I could only keep one, and the X2 won. The HD650 are really nice. But the X2 are more fun to listen to, and they cover a broader range of genres.

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #14,299 of 15,268
So I got these like yesterday and I want to give my description of how these sound to me. If anyone has easier explanations that would be great but this is how I describe it.

I have to say my explanation is weird but thats my first time trying to describe a sound ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Imaging/delivery:
These have a weird thing where they basically remove all filters or influences that come from the outside. It sounds like what I would imagine it to sound like if music is produced inside my brain, and is not influenced by anything outside, like air travel or the ear.
That makes it very dry sounding but helps the imaging a lot in being very accurate actually.
Soundstage:
The soundstage is very spacious. Sound is being produced from the middle to around 5cm outside the ear. It fills it in pretty good. What is missing is the bigness effect many headphones have. It has space but it does not sound big(little decay).
Bass:
Good. present, not overblown, enough extended and on the slower side but not muddy in any way. K702 is slower in the bass but has faster attack.
Mids.
I am not good in describing mids because they sound similar to me on most headphones. maybe a little recessed or unclear sounding.
Highs:
A bit on the harsh side I use my EQ and reduce 6k to 7k mainly.
Though very metallic sound on these, I can't really listen to them for a long time. Just not very smooth.

Decay: I would call it basically non existent. That is probably also related to what I said about the imaging.

If anyone can simplify my description that would be great

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #14,301 of 15,268
I wouldn't go this far, but HD650 I've heard with our stuff only and for these cans solid amp is a must.

If there's one thing I've got enough of it's solid amps :wink:

Unfortunately it doesn't help in my case, they're just not my cup of tea.

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #14,302 of 15,268
I've had a pair of Phillips Fidelio X2 for a few years now and I love them for movies games .
However, they started to produce a harsh and unpleasant sound, mainly at lower frequencies, only on the left driver.
so far I can't solve it ..
I have already cleaned all possible parts from inside the left side, but the driver is fully glued and lined with paper and around the magnet.if anyone has had this problem and has a solution, i would appreciate it!
or do i have to buy a new one?:sweat:

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #14,303 of 15,268
However, they started to produce a harsh and unpleasant sound, mainly at lower frequencies, only on the left driver.
so far I can't solve it ..
I have already cleaned all possible parts from inside the left side, but the driver is fully glued and lined with paper and around the magnet.if anyone has had this problem and has a solution, i would appreciate it!
or do i have to buy a new one?:sweat:
I don't know, the X2 I have from my friend had the same problem he said, and he tried fixing it by "stretching the membrane" with a hair dryer. Though he just used a lighter. It did not turn out well, though fixed the issue lol.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #14,307 of 15,268
If there's one thing I've got enough of it's solid amps :wink:

To clarify, by this I meant either tubes or transistors, but good in the sense of performance :)

Apologies if what I wrote was confusing :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #14,308 of 15,268
To clarify, by this I meant either tubes or transistors, but good in the sense of performance :)

Apologies if what I wrote was confusing :)

No worries, my point was that the HD650 just isn't my cup of tea. Not even properly amped :wink:

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #14,310 of 15,268
Ok, this is my first post on this forum. Greetings everyone.:)

I'm new to audiophile headphones (only used m40x's)and my top budget is 200 euro.
You can't imagine how hard it is to decide on a pair of cans when you can't test drive any of them and read reviews online with every person having his own opinion.

Never less I have narrowed down to this pair since I found them 150 on amazon and I'm tight on budget.

And just before i pull the trigger I stumbled upon this threat reading all kinds of stuff....things like:'' if you buy this 400euro portable amp this headset will go to another level" and many more...

I'm confused,is it worth it to buy this pair without spending money on an amp/DAC-sound card or should I buy one?
Will i only benefit from a super expensive one which totally loses my point or will an entry-level device(no more than 150) make it noticeably better?

Music is in the top 3 things I enjoy in this stressful world and I do want to make a good choice.
I "sadly" listen to all kinds of music. Classical, instrumental and experimental stuff, electronica, rock, etc(on Spotify high quality). So I value bass just as much as I value mids and highs. Basically i want my purchase ta make me hearing music 6 hours non-stop :p.

I think an open headphone would be better (they have typically better sound?) since I'll be listening to music home without distraction and it is the only open one I find in this price range without "being crappy" supposedly.
Other options are the m40x,m50x,msr7b, sony MDR-v6(would love those hd 600s but i need to save more plus they need most definitely amp?)

Would i be better off with any of those? Or get the x2 and buy an amp in the future?

P.S.: portable amps can be just as good for music quality if power is no concern right?

Thanks for reading all this

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back