Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 4, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #11,852 of 15,268
I am also thinking about Fostex TH900 MK 2, but it is a closed headphone so I don't know whether is it any better than Elear. Any other choice? Thanks.. What do you guys think of Audeze LCD or Sennheiser HD 800 S?

I've been to a huge HiFi conference today and brought my X2 with me to have some comparison base. Fostex were unfortunately not there, but I've heard they have a much better bass impact. They're also not as closed as they look, though I have no idea what makes that happen.

Elear, which many people consider a straight upgrade to the X2, didn't sound like one for me. It's objectively better in terms of separation and clarity, but it loses a lot of the punchy bass factor that the X2 brings in. You also trade in some soundstage. I personally care more about a fun headphone than an accurate one, especially if the latter costs five times as much. I'm gonna keep my X2 for now.

Sennheiser HD 800 were horribly clinical to me. Like someone was trying his very best to take the music apart with an x-acto knife. People say the HD 800 S fixes that a bit, but the signature Sennheiser sound is still there.

It's all a question of what type of headphone you want. Do you want fun factor with great bass and soundstage, while trading in a great deal of accuracy and clarity? Then the X2 are probably your haven.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #11,853 of 15,268
My understanding is that tubed amps give a super wide soundstage, that mated with an already wide soundstage on the x2..yeah, might sound a little hollow.

Really, this is not my experience. What tube amps did you try it with?

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #11,854 of 15,268
I finally got a pair of Fidelio X2s last week. They are incredibly hard to get in Ireland and the ones that are available have a massive markup. I finally managed to find a pair at RRP from a Finnish AV shop with an Ebay storefront. They had one pair. Long story short they are incredible, I can't take the damn things off. My HD650s might be "better" headphones but god damn it if I don't like the Fidelios more. I was listening to one of my favorite songs on them and I actually broke down into tears, that song hasn't done that to me in years. Its like all my music is new again. Also God damn they are well built. They make my (Chinese made)  k702s look like flimsy toys. 

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #11,856 of 15,268
  I finally got a pair of Fidelio X2s last week. They are incredibly hard to get in Ireland and the ones that are available have a massive markup. I finally managed to find a pair at RRP from a Finnish AV shop with an Ebay storefront. They had one pair. Long story short they are incredible, I can't take the damn things off. My HD650s might be "better" headphones but god damn it if I don't like the Fidelios more. I was listening to one of my favorite songs on them and I actually broke down into tears, that song hasn't done that to me in years. Its like all my music is new again. Also God damn they are well built. They make my (Chinese made)  k702s look like flimsy toys. 

Nice one. I got the X2 and hd700, and currently my x2 is getting more headtime.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #11,857 of 15,268

I'm curious as to what song had moved you, if you don't mind sharing.

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #11,858 of 15,268

Man, I could not have said it any better! I have loved, loved my X2 for over two years now, and they will NEVER go anywhere. I will take "fun" over "better" any day. Enjoy the hell out of 'em....

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #11,859 of 15,268
Man, I could not have said it any better! I have loved, loved my X2 for over two years now, and they will NEVER go anywhere. I will take "fun" over "better" any day. Enjoy the hell out of 'em....

Wow, two years? That's some dedication. Did you ever find any other headphones that would be upgrades or at least sidegrades?

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #11,860 of 15,268
No I did not. Stopped chasing equipment due to neglible impacts upon upgrading, and started chasing more and better music. I find that I am more relaxed doing so! I still dabble around with some occasional budget purchases, like the Benji K9 DAP and Edifier earbuds recently, but find most of this stuff is giveaway status. I know, it's wierd, I am on Head-Fi and quit chasing the elusive, but I still like to read the various discussions. Especially concerning my beloved X2's!! I found my nirvana!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back