Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 31, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #11,836 of 15,268
Finally, yesterday I ordered a Cayin C5 to use with my dx50. At the moment, I only have the X2 and the m50x, but I hope this amp will introduce me in harder to drive HP. I will share my impressions when I try the C5. Thank you for all!

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #11,839 of 15,268
Got my Gibson pair (minus any glue on the pads) and have broken them in finally. At first impressions I was thinking I had dropped $200 on a bad pair as my ATH-M50 sounded cleaner with tighter bass, this off the Fiio E18. 2weeks later with some decent burn in and wow..what a difference, much clearer and BASS...that bass, luv it. Ironically I'm enjoying these more off my PC! (Shout out to Reatek Audio!) Off my Denon Receiver there not as full, could be that I'm playing off my Lg V20 via RCA connector to the receiver..don't know. Was abop to drop some coin on the Schiit Mini/Modi Stack and then thought about the Asgard2 when the Ifi Micro Ican SE dropped into the picture. The Ican is in the mail, thinking it's future proof for the most part and loved the YouTube review that Z Reviews gave on the Micro Ican Se. So we'll see! 

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #11,840 of 15,268
Hey all! Long time X2 thread-stalker (like page 1). Just here to profess my love for my X2's. I've had them since they first came out couple years ago. Never had problems with bleeding cups, falling cups, balance, etc... They are what I consider my first real hifi-type purchase. They are an extremely "fun" pair of hp. I listen to a lot of classical, heavy rock (Deftones, System of a Down), some pop (Tori Amos, Fiona Apple). I can listen with x2's with about any genre. My only gripe with them is with classical- symphony/orchestra stuff. I'm still learning about audiophile terminology but I would say the Philips gets a little sloppy here. Instruments seem to really sound congested...maybe "bleedy" or sounding a bit recessed (veiled maybe???) with lack of clarity. Because of this, and I listen to classical a lot, I have sinced purchased Beyer T90's (awesome classical cans), and more recently K712's.
I love my T90's, I don't find them too bright as a lot of people do but they are my go to for classical. My 712's are a good all arounder, and they don't really do anything wrong, but they just aren't nearly as fun as my X2's.
I've got two sources: iPod classic and Fiio x5ii
Two amps: Portaphile 627x and Fiio a5
Sound wise, my favorite combo for my x2's are Fiio x5ii and a5 amp. A5 REALLY opened up the x2 in clarity and sound stage. For some reason my Portaphile just doesn't match well with x2's.
I would say the a5 is great for the x2.

One question I do have: I see a lot of peeps here trying to match tube amps with the Philips...to me, the X2 seems slightly "warm" maybe "dark" a bit. Wouldn't you try to match the x2 with maybe a brighter amp? I've never had a tube amp and looked into them bc I had a lot of suggestions for tubes with my T90, but to me it sounds like it would be a bad match...please school me here.
Later!

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #11,841 of 15,268
Who says "there is no need to amp for X2" is a little bit wrong. 

My ad900x are 38ohm , dt1350 80ohm, I've had 32ohm pro DT770 ... and fidelio x2' are 30ohm.

They definitely need more amp. than ad900x and 770 32ohm ... 

Yes they are not hd600 or 650 in amplification needing... But still a good source(a bit on bright side) will open them in a very efficient way.

While they were a bit too dark on FX Audio Dac x6, e10k brought them alive, and when I listened them with Soundblaster X7 wooow. 

So yes, they are not super hard to drive as most of the high-fi cans, and they are not so picky in source as hd650 but still... unsurprisingly a good dac-amp will make them shine more. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #11,842 of 15,268
Glad to see those last reviews! I also consider this HP is not the best for classical music, but it shines with classic jazz, electro, soundtracks and some other genres. Next week I'll recieve the Cayin C5 amp, so I could experience the improve of using additional amp with my iBasso dx50. Have a good day, friends!

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #11,843 of 15,268
One question I do have: I see a lot of peeps here trying to match tube amps with the Philips...to me, the X2 seems slightly "warm" maybe "dark" a bit. Wouldn't you try to match the x2 with maybe a brighter amp? I've never had a tube amp and looked into them bc I had a lot of suggestions for tubes with my T90, but to me it sounds like it would be a bad match...please school me here.
Later!

I HATE the sound of the X2 with my tube amp. I use the Aune T1 SE as my main amp and I have done some tube rolling with it to best suit my needs. I use it basically with every other pair of headphones I have, but I use the Monoprice DAC/amp for the X2's, and they sound great.

With the Aune, not only do they sound too dark, but very flat. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #11,845 of 15,268
I HATE the sound of the X2 with my tube amp. I use the Aune T1 SE as my main amp and I have done some tube rolling with it to best suit my needs. I use it basically with every other pair of headphones I have, but I use the Monoprice DAC/amp for the X2's, and they sound great.

With the Aune, not only do they sound too dark, but very flat. 
My understanding is that tubed amps give a super wide soundstage, that mated with an already wide soundstage on the x2..yeah, might sound a little hollow.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #11,846 of 15,268
My understanding is that tubed amps give a super wide soundstage, that mated with an already wide soundstage on the x2..yeah, might sound a little hollow.

FYI, I absolutely I love the soundstage of the X2 with the Valhalla 2.
I might have said this a couple of times already in this thread, but I couldn't resist chiming in :p).
Paired with the right tube the X2 creates an amazing sense of space and depth.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #11,847 of 15,268
Hi guys, I currently own a Philips Fidelio X2 and Audeze SINE connected to a Fiio E17K. What over ear open headphone do you guys think would be a jaw dropping upgrade over the X2? My budget is 2000$ for the headphone only.

ATM I am thinking about Focal Elear, as I heard that HD 800 have a really detailed and analytical sound that sometimes sounds unforgiving (IDK about HD 800 S). To my ears Fidelio X2 and Audeze SINE sounds really enjoyable

Thank you.

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #11,848 of 15,268
Hi guys, I currently own a Philips Fidelio X2 and Audeze SINE connected to a Fiio E17K. What over ear open headphone do you guys think would be a jaw dropping upgrade over the X2? My budget is 2000$ for the headphone only.

ATM I am thinking about Focal Elear, as I heard that HD 800 have a really detailed and analytical sound that sometimes sounds unforgiving (IDK about HD 800 S). To my ears Fidelio X2 and Audeze SINE sounds really enjoyable

Thank you.

I have the X2 and the Elears, I can tell you the Focals are a noticeable upgrade over the X2's except for the sound stage size. The X2 has a wide stage, where the Elear's stage is a bit smaller, but the sound is lush, almost like you're in a small intimate venue. The Focal Elears are a very good choice, and might be what exactly what you're looking for.

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #11,849 of 15,268

Thank you.

I have the X2 and the Elears, I can tell you the Focals are a noticeable upgrade over the X2's except for the sound stage size. The X2 has a wide stage, where the Elear's stage is a bit smaller, but the sound is lush, almost like you're in a small intimate venue. The Focal Elears are a very good choice, and might be what exactly what you're looking for.

Fostex th900 better all arounder
HD800 better sound stage

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #11,850 of 15,268

FYI, I absolutely I love the soundstage of the X2 with the Valhalla 2.
I might have said this a couple of times already in this thread, but I couldn't resist chiming in :p).
Paired with the right tube the X2 creates an amazing sense of space and depth.

My X2 sound great through both my Nobsound tube amp and my Schiit Vali 2 tube amp. Not hollow on either amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back