Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 13, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #10,966 of 15,268

If you do wash the pads, would you mind letting us know how you washed it, and if there is any change in sound?

Will do.  My plan is to add some warm water and a little shampoo to a bowl and then submerge the pads and kind of massage around them, then fill the bowl with just warm water a couple of times and do this again to rinse them out.  I will then air dry them for a day or two (I live in a very dry climate).

I know some people have had these pads really irritate their ears - for me it is just mild itching (kind of like wool) and I am hoping the washing will alleviate that as well.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #10,967 of 15,268
  Will do.  My plan is to add some warm water and a little shampoo to a bowl and then submerge the pads and kind of massage around them, then fill the bowl with just warm water a couple of times and do this again to rinse them out.  I will then air dry them for a day or two (I live in a very dry climate).

I know some people have had these pads really irritate their ears - for me it is just mild itching (kind of like wool) and I am hoping the washing will alleviate that as well.

Thanks!
I too have ink problems with my X2. I love these cans otherwise.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #10,968 of 15,268
Ive noticed that the left ear has more bass and less clarity, the right ear has more clarity and is generally the dominating earcup but less bass impact.

Example where I noticed it very clearly at the start of this video. During the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Me4_rqefVE

Lift each cup from your ear and listen, Left, Right, Left, Right and see if you notice any differences.

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #10,969 of 15,268
I see this thread is still going strong. I'll contribute with my own experience.
The first unit I received was made by WOOX, it had the older "WOOX" earpads, which either are or clearly resemble the bass pads
Unfortunately, there was a channel imbalance between the left and the right channel and it got progressively worse, so I will be sending it back tomorrow.
Meanwhile, I have also managed to snatch a Gibson made X2, which comes with removable newer and thicker earpads, let's call them Gibson pads or current stock pads.
My conclusion is, QA problems notwithstanding [but as apparent even WOOX made a missmatched pair sometimes] the difference comes strictly down to the earpads.
The Bass pads made the X2 sound like what I expected it to sound like - an evolution of the X1.
The Gibson pads give it a very different twist, making it more akin to studio monitors, such as the AKG K7XX, so reference, analytic and very spacious and detailed.
It is amazing how staggering a difference a rather minor pad change has made here, and the differences between the pads that most significantly contribute are, I would guess, the material [they are made from a different velvet/velour type], depth and foam thickness [the Gibson pads are deeper and thicker], which puts the ear further away and the grill cover mesh [the original WOOX pads have a thicker, denser mesh]. The OG WOOX pads [a.k.a the Bass pads] can be bought on Ebay presently for $39. If you don't like the sound you are getting or want an alternative set of pads, get them. It seems like most of the variance / consistency reported here comes down to that.
As for me, I will be sending the defective unit back and be ordering some Bass pads to get that X1 flavor back 
biggrin.gif

Also, the WOOX pads seem to have a firmer attachment mechanism than the Gibson pads, as those are easier to get off. The WOOX pads also seem to create a better seal as a result [the pad itself extends slightly below the attachment ring, allowing for a better seal].
That's it from me 
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #10,970 of 15,268
Ive noticed that the left ear has more bass and less clarity, the right ear has more clarity and is generally the dominating earcup but less bass impact.

Example where I noticed it very clearly at the start of this video. During the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Me4_rqefVE

Lift each cup from your ear and listen, Left, Right, Left, Right and see if you notice any differences.

I tested and can confirm. Also sometimes with boomy bass my right speaker starts cracking, which is worrysome. It's not an enjoyment listening to a headphone when it feels so fragile in both build and sound quality. It's like you have a problem on your head at all times, regardless of their capabilities. :frowning2: a mixed bag. I feel more comfortable listening to cheapo takstars to be honest...

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #10,971 of 15,268
I tested and can confirm. Also sometimes with boomy bass my right speaker starts cracking, which is worrysome. It's not an enjoyment listening to a headphone when it feels so fragile in both build and sound quality. It's like you have a problem on your head at all times, regardless of their capabilities.
frown.gif
a mixed bag. I feel more comfortable listening to cheapo takstars to be honest...

I noticed crackling in the last GoT episode. But might just be the ep. Not sure.

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #10,974 of 15,268
@conquerator2
I checked ebay for the bass pads and it looked just like mine. Got a link to where you can get them?
Btw, I always thought I had the newer pads that are darker/shinier with looser felt/strands on the outside.

Also, I totally agree pads make a big difference in sound. I've been through pleather, velour, angled velour, angled pleather, focus pads for my X2, he400, he400s and he500.

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #10,975 of 15,268
@conquerator2

I checked ebay for the bass pads and it looked just like mine. Got a link to where you can get them?
Btw, I always thought I had the newer pads that are darker/shinier with looser felt/strains on the outside.

Also, I totally agree pads make a big difference in sound. I've been through pleather, velour, angled velour, angled pleather, focus pads for my X2, he400, he400s and he500.

Looks like you have the older pads then.
Link - Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/261967950938
They have a bit less depth, are darker and you can't see through the mesh in the middle much (it's thicker)

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #10,976 of 15,268
They still have QC issues OMG!!!

Just recieved my Fidelio X2 today from a Danish/Sweedish company after waiting for a few weeks as they were not in stock they finally arrived.

They are the un-glued Gibson model. As soon as I took them off the one earpads fell off. It kept doing this, and thats when I took both of them off and realized I recieved a pair of earpads for the right ear only. FACEPALM!!!

To clarify both my Earpads have the word RGHT printed on them. A quick search on Google pictures and a call to Phillips confirmed that this is a mistake. Furthermore the stitching on one of the earpads is comming Loose so you can see the padding underneath.

TBH I am in shock, this is the type of QC I expect from products purchased from China. Phillips you should be ashamed!

Phillips would not help me and the Company i Purchased from want me to send them back so thier technician can check them out before deciding how they will help me. GRRRRRRRR

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #10,977 of 15,268
Received mine today and was slightly worried about the QC issues. They're the Woox model and I can't spot anything wrong with them. No channel imbalance either as far as I can tell.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised about how good they sound for just $200. Even next to the TH900 they sound very nice to my ears. In comparision the X2 seem to have a slightly wider soundstage. (Edit: After A/B comparing them more closely the X2 do have less depth, and the width are fairly similar. You could say they sound congested in comparision to the TH900 despite being open back). The bass is boomier and not as well extended or detailed. Treble isn't as refined. Of course, since they differ so much in price it's expected. Overall the sound signature is darker/ warmer and it's a very nice alternative when I don't want to use the TH900 all day long.

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #10,978 of 15,268
Received mine today and was slightly worried about the QC issues. They're the Woox model and I can't spot anything wrong with them. No channel imbalance either as far as I can tell.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised about how good they sound for just $200. Even next to the TH900 they sound very nice to my ears. In comparision the X2 seem to have a slightly wider soundstage, boomier and not as well extended bass. Treble isn't as refined. Overall the sound signature is darker/ warmer and it's a very nice alternative when I don't want to use the TH900 all day long.

As expected then. The only difference between WOOX and Gibson are the pads.
My Gibson pair sounds exactly like what you describe with the WOOX / Bass pads

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #10,979 of 15,268
A great summary from a few posts above, thanks. 
Do you know where I can find the newer Gibson pads? Mine's got the Woox ones. If I do end up getting both versions I might do a brief impression, that's if I can hear the difference LOL.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #10,980 of 15,268
  They still have QC issues OMG!!!

Just recieved my Fidelio X2 today from a Danish/Sweedish company after waiting for a few weeks as they were not in stock they finally arrived.

They are the un-glued Gibson model. As soon as I took them off the one earpads fell off. It kept doing this, and thats when I took both of them off and realized I recieved a pair of earpads for the right ear only. FACEPALM!!!

To clarify both my Earpads have the word RGHT printed on them. A quick search on Google pictures and a call to Phillips confirmed that this is a mistake. Furthermore the stitching on one of the earpads is comming Loose so you can see the padding underneath.

TBH I am in shock, this is the type of QC I expect from products purchased from China. Phillips you should be ashamed!

Phillips would not help me and the Company i Purchased from want me to send them back so thier technician can check them out before deciding how they will help me. GRRRRRRRR

I believe they have a serious management issue, probably a communication problem with their manufacturer, or simply untrained guys working on it. Everything just goes downhill whenever they even try and fix something...

Seriously ... My pads keep coming off wherever I put my headphones. I do have the "LEFT" labelled on the left earcup tho...

And the bass problem on the right earcup... do you have it? Try slamming bassy music on it a bit loud and the right driver seems to crack or something, really unpleasant sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back